Overrated Movies

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
No you're right... they are successful for sure. I just don't find them interesting, despite all that goes into glossing them up. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Overrated... Pirates of the Caribbean series. I get the whole Johnny Depp thing... he's pretty good as the drunken pirate captain, but 4 movies? The story just isn't that interesting.
I thought the first film was great, well done. The rest...completely and utterly unnecessary! :stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First two pirates were fantastic! The third...meh...and I haven't seen the 4th yet. There's a reason Depp has reservations about making more. At least making more so quickly. I think it's best for the series to go away for five or more years and then return if they find more story to tell. Otherwise it's just a money grab.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear... the fourth one came out of the fact that Sorcerer's Apprentice sucked on every level. I mean, really... basing an entire movie off of a segment in Fantasia with Mickey Mouse (I'm sure the story predates that, but that's the reason it was done) was a bad idea in the first place... but putting Nick Cage in that? I mean, if you're gonna put Nick Cage in a movie, take all the money that the film cost to make, in fact, ask the studio for double, throw it all in a shallow pit and set fire to it. If nothing else, you'll get a spectacular fire. That's how bad his movies do. Any slight connection to him makes the movie flop.

But the movie was fine with 3... hearing that the 4th one had budget problems a while back made me very weary of it... I only planned on seeing it for the Muppet trailer, but the Pandaman provided and I saw it with another film. All I had to do was wait a week.

Still, fourth movie? other than the money, there was no real call for it. I mean, POTC NEEDED to be a cartoon, and there were talks no doubt... but it all came down to having to make cheap little TV/EI shows so they could cheaply reuse them on Saturday Mornings on ABC for their FCC lipservice (same stuff I'm always complaining about). And we got Emperor's New School and Replacements... they were decent shows, not really groundbreaking and they didn't get a huge audience... and ABC only aired half the first season for almost 5 years now. They didn't even make money buzz or merchandise... so, basically to cheap out and reuse something for TV E/I purposes, they dissed an action cartoon that could have been a smarter investment.

Oh Well, at least Phineas and Ferb is amazingly amazing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If you thought that was bad, check out the movie "Percy Jackson."
They're STILL trying to get rid of that Percy Jackson merchandise. I still find the AirHeads candy with special Percy flavors from time to time.

But at least with that crappy Sorcerer's movie, they rereleased both Fantasia movies... for about a half a month, so I couldn't even pick it up. :cry:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yet, believe it or not, they're going ahead with a butchering of the second book.
Was it even profitable enough? Or did they have some sort of commitment to have to do all of the books?

Well, at least Sorcerer's Apprentice and Percy Jackson can safely NOT be called Overrated. Overhyped YES... but overrated means it has to be rated in the first place.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
didnt they say they were going to go all the Eragon Series books to? nit that i care movie was terri-bad

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Was it even profitable enough? Or did they have some sort of commitment to have to do all of the books?
Yes, it was. No, they didn't. The success of the first one was the number one factor in the sequel getting the go-ahead.