1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Overused Plots in Movies and TV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Jan 22, 2010.

1. beatnikchick300 Active Member

I believe Rugrats did a "germs" episode as well.
  2. Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

A meets B
    A and B gets together
    A and B gets separated for some reason
    B realizes he/she loves A
    B goes back to A
    A is going to marry C
    B gets depressed
    Turns out A is not going to marry C
    A marries B
  3. mo Well-Known Member

then A and B have children and they name them ABBA.
    Vincent Liu likes this.
  4. Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Than C gets on a boat but gets C-sick (terrible pun)

You have a great sense of humor, mo!
    mo likes this.
  5. mo Well-Known Member

then D comes and he relizes that B is his second cousin twice removed!
  6. Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Than D killes B and replaces B because they look so alike, and D gets all of A's money.
    (this plot is going nowhere)
  7. mo Well-Known Member

then it all ends happily in...idaho?
  8. Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

THE END

[credits start rolling]
    mo likes this.
  9. mo Well-Known Member

but then....I got nothing.
  10. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Which brings to mind a very similar overused plot device, as explored in this comic:

http://idget.comicgenesis.com/d/20110104.html
  11. Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

One plot device that I can tolerate is the classic "three version story". What usually happens is two main characters will get into a fight about something that happened in the past. One character tells a totally exaggerated story that makes the other character look bad. The other character does the same, and while their story is just as exaggerated as character 1, it's also completely different. In the end, a third character shows up and tells the audience what really happened.

I like this plot device because (a) it's not used quite as often as some of the devices already mentioned and (b) from a comedy standpoint, it always brings out the best in the characters. Plus, the exaggerated stories are usually pretty funny.
  12. Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

I never actually watched any movies with that plot, but just listening to you describe it makes me want to smack the heads of the main characters with a saucepan.
  13. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

There was a rather interesting twist on that plot device once on Alvin and The Chipmunks, when they try to explain to Dave just how his piano fell down the stairs: there was no truthful answer, each of them exaggerated their story to make themselves out to be the victim of the other's boredom, so Dave had to (fairly) punish each of them, based solely on the only consistencies that came up in each of their stories.

Of course, Alvin's story was the least believable and the most exaggerated, but what killed it was later during a flashback/clipshow, Alvin actually admits that he didn't tell the truth when he told Dave his story: again, already we couldn't believe his story anyway, but the fact that he admits that he stretched the truth kills it.
  14. Hubert Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this one has been said before (I think it may have been), but another one would be that a character begins recieving notes from a secret admirer, and then spends the rest of the episode trying to figure out who it is...
  15. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yeah, and half the time, those notes from a secret admirer turn out to be part of a cruel and twisted prank.
  16. Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Or the person writing the letters was mistaken about who's locker or whatever they were putting them in
  17. Hubert Well-Known Member

Or the person gives up and is convinced by a friend to shrug the whole thing off...
  18. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

World records are another one... and there's usually two ways it happens:

1. One character will spend the episode trying to beat any world record that they feel they can break, only to fail in doing so each time... up until the point it turns out they broke the world record for number of times of trying to break a world record.
    2. One character tries to break a record that seems like they'll fail at, so all the other characters rally in support to help him/her break... which he/she doesn't, but in the process, all the others ended up breaking some other kind of world record in their attempts to help their friend break his/her record.
  19. Hubert Well-Known Member

And then (and this was probably already mentioned too), the ones where a character rips their pants, and then spend the rest of the episode facing that humiliation...
  20. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I think Recess and Arthur are the two biggest offenders of that one. In the former, Mikey rips his pants, so his pals try desperately to come up with some form of a "patch" to hide his now-revealing underwear, all the while, bloodhound Miss Finster is on their trail; in the latter, Binky rips his pants, everyone makes fun of him for it, but at the same time, it seeps into Arthur's subconscience, and he becomes absolutely paranoid about his underwear as well, until it actually happens to him.