1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Overused Plots in Movies and TV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

And let's not forget the overused basis for an average Disney Channel sitcom. Okay, I have noticed that this particular idea isn't used in a lot of recent Disney sitcoms, but there was a period where pretty much all of the sitcoms looked the same.

The idea is this: there's this girl who isn't very popular, but sort of is. She's pretty, smart, talented, well-liked, yet complains about not being liked by the 'cool kids'. You got the usual stereotypes to go along with her life. The dopey best friend, and the weird guy best friend (who secretly has a crush on her), the annoying younger brother, the dorky parents, the stuck-up that the girl has a crush on, and the snob of a cheerleader who used to be her best friend. Overused so many times, and really, Disney isn't the only network to push that idea out.

Oh, and let's not forget the ever-popluar excuse that the show's creators use in order to distinguish it from other shows. "Wait wait, this one is different! The girl is secretly a wizard!", or "the girl is secretly a pop singer!", or "the girl is secretly involved with the Mafia" (okay, I made up that last one, but you get the idea).
    galagr and Vincent Liu like this.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Since it's been mentioned in another thread: whenever it's discovered a character has an embarrassing middle name, or in many similar cases, where a male character turns out to have a girl's middle name (both Frank Burns from M*A*S*H and Double D from Ed, Edd n Eddy middle name is Marion).
  3. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I think that happened in Cheers, where Norm's middle name was Hillary or something like that.
  4. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

It was on Friends: somewhere in the series it was revealed that the "M" in Chandler M. Bing stood for Muriel.
  5. Bryan M

Bryan M New Member

All the main characters are locked in a room together or otherwise stuck in a single loctation. I even seen this is cartoons, but thought it had to do with the shooting a filler episode on the cheap by only using one set.
  6. D'Snowth

How about a variation of the wife losing her wedding ring and going bananas trying to find it, and on some occasions, also trying to make sure the husband never finds out about it.
    Bryan M likes this.
  7. Mo Frackle

One variation, the husband losing the wedding ring and going bananas trying to find it, and on some occasions, also trying to make sure the wife never finds out about it.
    Bryan M likes this.
  8. D'Snowth

I wouldn't know, because it seems like most male married characters on TV actually don't wear rings anyway, lol.
  9. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever noticed how sometimes when the case of a male losing his wedding ring happens, he suddenly "always wears his ring" in the episode, yet in other episodes he never wore one.
    Vincent Liu and Mo Frackle like this.
  10. HeyButtahfly

Oh, TV Land. When my husband lost his ring at work, he was so frazzled he told me right away. :mad:
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  11. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

So, you're a female? I always thought you're a male. The avatar...
  12. HeyButtahfly

I don't know too many males who would call themselves "buttahfly"... but it's all good. :D
  13. D'Snowth

One variation of that was the episode of M*A*S*H where B.J. starts gambling to try and earn more money to send home to his wife so she won't have to get a second job as a waitress in a bar... at one point, he offers his wedding ring as ante... no other time throughout the show did he wear a ring.

Likewise, we ALL know Frank was married but fooling around with Margaret, however, there was ONE episode where he DOES wear a ring, for whatever reason.
  14. Mo Frackle

Thankfully underused plot: musical episodes.
  15. D'Snowth

Yeah, I think Glee officially killed musical television for everybody.
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  16. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Thank you for giving me the reason why I don't watch that show. I don't watch it ever. Thank you for the good advice.
  17. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

Aliens coming to this planet is a overused plot. (Neighbors, 3rd Rock from the Sun, A.L.F, etc)

If you want to go by themes. They sure like to use Wizard of OZ or Star Wars alot.
  18. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Really, I hadn't noticed, lol. ;)
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

3rd Rock was the best of the bunch. Even better than Mork and Mindy. I just don't see anything outshining 3rd Rock's version of an alien sitcom. But that can be attributed to John Lithgow's bombastic performance. That show was a positive genre killer for me (as in it spoils everything else by its excellence). I don't think there ever will be an alien sitcom half as good as it, and I just can't take John's performance as serious. I saw an old movie where he was trapped in a large industrial freezer, and he was screaming help at the top of his lungs. This was supposed to be a dramatic moment in a dramatic movie... but anything he raises his voice, I think of ol' Dick Solomon, and I can't stop laughing.

Same thing happens to me with Jason Alexander. The episode of Criminal Minds where he's this deep philosophic killer, who spends the entire episode secreting an evil slimy voice... almost Freeza like, and then he screams when he's finally caught. I half expected him to say "GEORGE IS GETTING UPSET!!!!"
  20. D'Snowth

I got to thinking about the Arthur episode "Arthur's Snow Biz", and realized that right there is another overused plot, at least in kids cartoons: whenever there's a bunch of snow, and the kids decide to take advantage of it by shovelling people's sidewalks and drives and what have you to rake in some cash... then inevitably, some kind of feud breaks out, which leads to competition.