Paging Drtooth

Drtooth

Reaction score
Man, talk about a show that caters to 5 year olds with ADD. The animation style and the rapid movement make this the only show to ever give me a headache watching. I have such a hard time following what is going on half the time. It seems like every second they are doing something different. As stale as Spongebob is, it is still 100000000x better than this
It's not even that. I can take ADHD programming if they at LEAST try to be funny. This thing was just... unfunny on every level. The first episode was just jokes about the Disney channel that were so softball that it was more self serving than anything. The main character designs don't bug me, but that hideousness of every thing else in the show.

I can appreciate some real crap. I actually like Johnny Test, if you can believe it. There was some weird show Cookie Jar did back when it was Cinar with potato shaped blobs in a Kingdom ruled by a moron king, and "terrorized" by an unprovked dragon that the princess actually felt sorry for. I can't remember the title... they ran it on Sundays for a little while. I liked that. But this show, I kinda wanted to like... it was unfunny on every angle, and it didn't offer anything I hadn't seen a million times already. But I still applaud Disney for trying another cartoon series on Disney Channel. They really need to think back IN the box, and come up with something more Disney Afternoon like... something more action comedy oriented that isn't a Marvel property.

And like I said for the zillbillionth time, if they feel the need to endlessly milk Pirates of the Caribbean, why are they refusing to make a cartoon series? That would do gangbusters... even now.

On an unrelated note, I wish Hub would start airing shows that Disney XD dropped. Like Static Shock and The Spectacular Spider Man.
I wish Warner Bros had some more respect for Static Shock... the creator of the character supposedly died last year, they came up with a comic book... why not release the thing on DVD? It was a great, very underrated show. I wish Legion of SuperHeroes was that strong (though it got better second season... just as they canceled it). Spectacular Spider-Man's rapid cancellation I will forever blame the hideously horrible CW network for. David Wise (that's the guy, right?) planned on an epic 5 season series and had all these complex factors of continuity... it was the BEST Spider-Man cartoon ever... better than the 60's, better than the 80's, better than the 90's, better than the cel shaded 00's one that came after the movies... I know people who have learned to absolutely hate the 90's Spider-Man as a result of Spectacular. it really is a shame that Disney's ownership caused the second season to never be released on DVD.

But anyway, CW merger, CBS's stake in the network henpecked WB's stake to dump the Saturday Morning line up... the ONLY place Spider-Man could fit, and the show never saw it past the second season... which we got AFTER Bulgaria... so you know that speaks high volumes for what our cartoon market is like now. Toon Disney (at the time) picked the show up later, ran the first season again and slowly started to show the second.

I hope that whatever Spider-Man cartoon Disney plans is that high quality.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I like Johnny Test. Not in a way that I would actively go out of my way to watch it, but if there's nothing else on or if I happen to turn my tv on and its on I won't change the channel.

As for Fish Hooks, if the whole show was the thick lined animation, it wouldn't be so bad. But that weird semi water paint/construction paper look of everything else doesnt blend well

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like Johnny Test. Not in a way that I would actively go out of my way to watch it, but if there's nothing else on or if I happen to turn my tv on and its on I won't change the channel.
The biggest effort I put across to watch it was buying a 5 dollar DVD at TRU in a buy one get one sale. And mainly because I saw another show I kinda liked, and there was a He-Man 10 episode best of... but they were episodes I already saw on qubo a number of times. It's not a bad show, but the second season on it was pretty dodgy. I really like Dukey, though, and the father's obsession with meatloaf.

As for Fish Hooks, if the whole show was the thick lined animation, it wouldn't be so bad. But that weird semi water paint/construction paper look of everything else doesnt blend well
That cartoonish stylized photo realistic thing... even in a good show, I don't like that look. Much as I do love the new CN Mad show, half the time I'm not a fan of the look (the altered celebrity head photos being animated). Seems a lot more uniform in the current season.

Fish Hooks has that sort of humor that I hated The new George of the Jungle and My Gym Partner is a Monkey for. It's just loud and fast with no substance. Fairly Oddparents is very loud and very fast, but the jokes are just clever, funny, wacky, and silly enough to work, especially the running ones. I've never seen a show that had 2 or 3 different running gags in a single episode before. I don't think anyone else could have pulled it off. Even Spongebob... granted, not having cable, I didn't see the huge quality shift I hear about, but even that makes it's loud and wacky fastness work. Actually, I'd say Fish Hooks tries too hard to be Spongebob and fails completely.

That said, I think it's HIGH time for another big video game cartoon series, specifically a new Sonic the Hedgehog or Super Mario. Much as I dig Sonic X, I'm sick of seeing it be on every Saturday morning 3 times. I really wish they got the license to rerun any of the other Sonic cartoons (even though I just got the entire SatAm for Christmas).... THIS TV reran AOSTH and Underground Saturday Mornings until they changed the line up (for far inferior shows owned by Cookie Jar). I'd LOVE to see a new one, anime or otherwise. And Nintendo... really... it's like they got a stick up their butt about any cartoon version of Mario, but they think Pokemon is high art. I know they don't want to do movies, sure... I'll give them that, considering how the Mario movie turned out. But the time has come for a new Mario cartoon... even if they have to give him a bad Italian accent. Even just a comic book or something. The Sonic comic under Archie has lasted almost 20 years! Mega Man's comic is brilliant. Mario deserves another one.