Paging Drtooth

Drtooth

Reaction score
Worst-ever cartoons: with a shudder this 80's cartoon has come to mind, a low point for Western culture:
It's definitely one of them. The achievement of getting a Latino cartoon cast is amazing, but to waste it with such a terrible game based cartoon in the infancy of game based cartoons (when rules and regulations were still a little iffy with that stuff, and they were unrelated to the games on purpose) cheapens it.

But there are other pretty terrible ones.

Fred and Barney meet the Thing... with NO Fred and Barney in the show going tete a tete with the famous character from Fantastic 4... and now Ben Grimm is a generic teenager in a group of generic teenagers (culled out of archtypes from Archie and Fat Albert... including a character that makes snarky comments towards the egotistical rich kid)... and The Thing barely pops up after being summoned and can't actually hit anyone (thanks 1970's regulations). And in such generic plots too.

The Thing.... one of the FINEST Marvel comics characters, a brilliant creation by Jack Kirby... an amazingly complex, tragic character who once hid his Jewish faith because "My people went through enough without having a monster like me as one of them." Doesn't that bring tears to your eyes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGOZ0DvNEmc

Really? REALLY?!?!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I like KOTH and all, but it doesn't have that "thing" that AS shows have. Plus, it takes an hour out of the young adults programming for something you can see on just about every other cable channel. Now, I know someone's gonna say "what about Family Guy?" But without AS's hand in FG, we wouldn't have had the show comeback. So even though FG is on every single syndicated channel anyway, AS brought it back... plus, they have special uncut footage.
Speaking of Adult Swim, I remember when the block began, I was hoping it'd be a way to showcase classic WB, MGM, and Popeye cartoons that the channel otherwise showed uncut, especially the politically incorrect cartoons (ironically, Adult Swim has shown some poliitically incorrect shows intended for older audiences, like The Boondocks, and yet it's not the same as something originally intended for children that had politiically incorrect content). Though I know that at one point the channel did show The Bob Clampett Show (which only showed uncut cartoons), Toonheads, and (I think) The Popeye Show (another showcase for uncut-only cartoons).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Youtube is the ONLY place that you can find this stuff. And frankly, you read some of the comments they post on it, you wonder why. It would be great to see some of these released to special edition collectors ONLY DVD's... but ONLY for historical value. But other than that, even on Adult Swim where they can make racist jokes ironically in newer shows like Family Guy I cannot see the point of anyone putting that stuff on there. Adult Swim, first and foremost is for college kids. People who like to get drunk or spark one up and watch a dumb cartoon. Popeye Slaps a [Person of] Jap[anese decent] isn't the fun kind of "Heh heh heh... awww, Family Guy! Oh no you Di'nt!" kind of offensive.

Again, it's hard to want to see any of these... I refuse to see any of them hit television, any time of day, but they should be preserved just to say "back in the old days, people didn't know what sophisticated humor was, so they just made fun of the Irish, Jews, Italians, Blacks, Asians.. [etc] for a laugh. And that was wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong."

Though Disney sitting on Song of the South and yet open the vault of their 1960's exceedingly white cast member movies astounds me. They didn't edit out the racist bits of any of the other movies... or did they? Dopey still does that drum cymbal crashed over the head turns into a Chinese rice peasant hat thing in the DVD, does he?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Though Disney sitting on Song of the South and yet open the vault of their 1960's exceedingly white cast member movies astounds me. They didn't edit out the racist bits of any of the other movies... or did they? Dopey still does that drum cymbal crashed over the head turns into a Chinese rice peasant hat thing in the DVD, does he?
It seems like Disney has released all of it's politically incorrect shorts on DVD by now (though I know there are a lot of Disney shorts from the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s still not on DVD, but I don't think many of those have familiar characters), so I find it odd Song of the South remains unreleased. Though I don't think Fantasia has ever had an uncut release.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know there are some problems and concerns about Song of the South, but at least sell it as a collector to collector basis. Among other things, the source material IS Americanized versions of African folk tales. Bhrer Rabbit is REALLY Anasazi the Spider... the (ahem) tar trap in the story is actually based on a gum trap. I don't think kids would really jump onto this film anyway... it's one of those "preserve the past that's more offensive to pretend didn't exist" deals. And yet, they STILL use Zip-a-dee-Doo Dah in stuff.

As for the short cartoons from Warner Bros... I've... well, I've seen some of them, and they are pretty much a test of endurance. The only one of them, and I didn't even sit through the whole thing, the only one that was the slightest bit clever was the... uh... Coal Black and the Sebbin Dwarfs short. The others were just... really... they're almost NOT worth the curiosity. Painful and unfunny to watch.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I think CN is doing much better than they are in the past couple of years. I enjoy most of their new animated shows so far, and also enjoy the fact that they're promoting more content that's in between what would air there and what they would show on Adult Swim. They're even showing some more of their older stuff, even though it mostly airs at times when kids are already in school.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Regular Show is brilliant, but I've never been able to entirely get into Adventure Time. It seems to me that CN wants to develop that sort of balance between absurdity and adventure with some of their other new shows but it's hard to put lightning in a bottle.

beaker

Reaction score
That Evolution cartoon, based off the 2001 flop actually looks kind of cool. Hey, it's actually animated unlike most the flash looking garbage on tv

I cannot STAND most of the typical Cartoon Network/Adult Swim style, that goes for a lot of the other stations. I see better looking flash videos on youtube.

I don't watch tv, but Regular Show seems like it's one of the few interesting cartoons going. I kind of dig the new Beavis and Butthead, and hope they bring back Liquid Television. But these days, I'd say some of the more interesting cartoons are on youtube or dvd.

I can't get into Adventure Time, too...I don't know. But I know what cartoon I cannot stand, and I've never even seen a full episode: Friendship Is Magic(My Little Pony) Dear lord.

I wonder if that Napoleon Dynamite cartoon or Bob's Burgers is any good? I actually kind of like Dan Vs on the hub, least from the episodes Ive downloaded. So wish that Governator series would have been made.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That Evolution cartoon, based off the 2001 flop actually looks kind of cool. Hey, it's actually animated unlike most the flash looking garbage on tv
Evolution was basically like a completely watered down, neutered, lobotomized, completely not fun version of Real Ghostbusters or Men in Black. The designs were so so... not bad... but the writing was terrible. I'm probably not the only one that thinks so, since it got canceled pretty quickly. I mean, Real Ghostbusters and Men in Black are 2 of the best cartoon spinoffs of a movie. I'd even say the animated version of Men in Black was superior to the film. Too bad Sony hates releasing "kiddy cartoons" on DVD sets. Men in Black TAS was just too amazing for words. And Jackie Chan was great too.

I can't get into Adventure Time, too...I don't know.
I like Adventure Time quite a bit, but I LOOOOVE Regular Show. AT took me a few more episodes to really get into than RS did. I wish RS had all the stuff AT does... more shirts at more mainstream locations, a toy line (the AT one is very hard to find)... It's like an adult swim show that's GOOD! I also really like Gumball, but I have a feeling you'd either find it innovative or stupid. All kinds of weird animation styles mingling in a single show like it's normal... weird, wacky show. Never could watch Problem Solvers... that's the ugliest thing on television. I don't think I'd ever get past the look.

I tried watching a Fish Hooks a few days ago, but it was just terrible. Completely awful, even with Jason Alexander and Jerry Stiller in it.

I wonder if that Napoleon Dynamite cartoon or Bob's Burgers is any good? I actually kind of like Dan Vs on the hub, least from the episodes Ive downloaded. So wish that Governator series would have been made.
I really like Bob's Burgers, but it feels like a cable show that somehow managed to be rerun in prime time on a major network. I think the show should move to FX or something... Napoleon Dynamite didn't premiere yet... I'm loving the look... reminds me of The Critic or Recess. Allen Gregory was completely awful. The characters were all impossible to like, let alone sympathize with, and that ugly pastel look... gag!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'd even say the animated version of Men in Black was superior to the film. Too bad Sony hates releasing "kiddy cartoons" on DVD sets. Men in Black TAS was just too amazing for words. And Jackie Chan was great too.
I totally agree with you there. I am so glad MIB is at least airing on Hub.

I tried watching a Fish Hooks a few days ago, but it was just terrible. Completely awful, even with Jason Alexander and Jerry Stiller in it.
Man, talk about a show that caters to 5 year olds with ADD. The animation style and the rapid movement make this the only show to ever give me a headache watching. I have such a hard time following what is going on half the time. It seems like every second they are doing something different. As stale as Spongebob is, it is still 100000000x better than this

On an unrelated note, I wish Hub would start airing shows that Disney XD dropped. Like Static Shock and The Spectacular Spider Man.