1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Painful Fraggle Moments

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Frogster, Sep 17, 2007.

1. NewfieFraggle

NewfieFraggle New Member

I know the Animated voices are off.. Fact they kinda disturb me.. But I do like a couple... I do like Gobo's voice, but that's only because I can immitate that one as opposed to the real Gobo's voice...

GopherCoffee likes this.
  2. NewfieFraggle

NewfieFraggle New Member

MFS? Care to elaborate on that episode?

SkeetScootSquat and GopherCoffee like this.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I think Rob Paulsen's version of Boober and Majory the Trash Heap were the best, even if they were off. They aren't as close as the Muppet baby voices (Frank Welker's Baby Kermit is the best Kermit impersonation I've ever heard, and Gregg Berg's Fozzie is almost dead on.) but some of them are pretty good. Junior Gorg is the worst, since he just sounds like a baby, and not a big stupid guy with a weird voice...

MFS- Muppets From Space. In the original Jerry Juhl script, Travelling Matt was to be in the group of Spaceheads at the end, waiting for Gonzo's alien bretherin. But it was one of many plot devices that Sony (or someone else) decided would go over the heads of the preschool audience. Because Muppets= Sesame Street in their minds. Also gone was the much more complex ending in which Gonzo really WASN'T an alien, and the space visitors were just fans of Gonzo. Jerry Juhl got p'o'd and left the project.

GopherCoffee likes this.
  4. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

I almost forgot about that... can't really blame Juhl for being upset, though.

What's unique about one episode in season 4, "Gone But Not Forgotten," is that it starts off corny, until Mudwell wants Wembley to leave, then it gets more and more serious. I think the 'painfulness' of this episode can be excused since it's the starting of a very serious subject matter.

I was thinking a while back... when you watch all 96 episodes, you really see the characters evolve- even more personally than the Muppets. In seasons 1 & 2, they're kinda like grade schoolers, just having fun, but you see them learn and grow with each episode. Then by season 3, it's like they're in high school (or at least, what high schoolers would be like if they had a high school in Fraggle Rock) and in the last season, they just seem so terrifically beautiful, insightful, and wonderous.

And the puppets of the characters look so awesome by the end of the show's run, as well. Especially Mokey. Look at how homeless and hippy-like she was in the beginning. Then, not only did her character mature, but she really did look beautiful... the most stunning of all the Fraggles. I'm not sayin that cuz I have a crush on her; I'm saying that because she looks terrific.

And Wembley's character seems to evolve the most of the Fraggle Five. Up until halfway through the season's run, he's mainly known as the 'wembler.' But he's very decisive and sure of himself the further the show goes on. It'd be really, really hard for the creators to try and do a movie after 20 years and pick up right where they left off without trying to sell themselves primarily to preschoolers.

5. Java

Java Active Member

Hopefully the characters will be such that if they watch the series and how it evolved just before they sit down to write that it will just come naturally.

I would hate to see the Fraggles changed into something primarily for preschoolers escpecially since the more I watch it the more poignant it is and the more I see excatly how much it is targeted for all.

6. Rose

Rose Member

Oops. :o Right, I REALLY have to get all of them again. I'm starting to forget. lol

7. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

No problem! Yeah I know, it will be great to finally have the episodes all together. :)

GopherCoffee likes this.
  8. Mr Devco

Mr Devco New Member

the last episode i saw where Gobo and Wembly had pebble pox it looked liked wembly was really dying :concern::(:cry:

GopherCoffee likes this.
  9. PetalGelfling

PetalGelfling New Member

There were a few episodes that sort of bothered me as a kid. I didn't like Mudwell... I was completely wrecked when he died. And I was also concerned when the Mokey convinced the Fraggles not to eat the Doozer sticks, and that mother Doozer told her daughter that if they couldn't build anymore they would die. I had a huge issue with death when I was little, I was only about 4 or 5 when I started watching Fraggle Rock, so of course the subject of death was confusing and bewildering to me. Those are the only true painful Fraggle moments I can think of. But I loved Convincing John :) from that episode about the Doozers ^_^.

GopherCoffee likes this.
  10. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

Painful memories? Hmmmmm! Let's see...

In "Blanket of Snow, Blanket of Woe", Majory the Trash Heap was frozen and that didn't scare me, but it bothered me too.

"Pebble Pox Blues"
    As a kid, Wembley being sick... goodness that bothered me... today not as much but it scared the wits out of me even though he is my favorite FR chartacter.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
    Mudwell... he bothered me as a kid and I felt devasted when that character died. Oh the irony!

GopherCoffee likes this.
  11. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

In one episode, I forget which, Gerry Parkes was obviosly speaking over a cold, and his voice sounded awful. I felt bad for the actor, and it popped me out of the reality of the show every time I heard that hoarse voice.

And then there's every episode of the animated series. They're all painful to me. The one that hurts the most is Gobo's Song, in which Cantus looks like the offspring of Big Bird and a Sneetch, and his only role is to babble insipid, non-plot-forwarding nonsense and then put Gobo to sleep. His part could have been played by a cup of warm radish milk.

12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I really think the animated series in unjustly hated, and quite honestly, it was the only exposure to the Fraggles those without HBO ever got without home video... But I still stand my ground on "The Great Radish Round-up." It would have been a pretty good episode, if it wasn't mostly Fraggles and Doozers having dry heaves for 10 minutes. And Ma Gorg's Panty Shot that has no right to exist!

And Junior's poor imitation of Elmer Fudd voice.

13. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I'm going to go with the episode Believe It Or Not, the one with Skinfrith. While it was an interesting concept, having the creature turn into whatever you imagined it was, I think it was the one episode in the show's run where the effects staff bit off more than they could chew. The slow-motion shots of the monster in the basement just came off as fake and doctored to me. I think a less ambitious attempt would have come off better.

14. Atomic Rexx

Atomic Rexx New Member

The part in "Mokey's Funeral" where the rest of the Fraggle Five are waiting around for Mokey so they can hear her plan. The nasty comments they make about her poetry kind of upset me honestly, I'd forgotten how uncomfortable that scene is.

Then to add insult to injury, they made it seem like she got killed and they never got to tell her they were sorry.

SkeetScootSquat likes this.
  15. I can't believe this thread exists because of all the things Henson did, Fraggle Rock, in my eyes was flawless!