Pepe's Mouth and Head Operation

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
practicecactus said:
okay, I know you may not want to ruin the 'muppet magic' , but what's that thing sticking out Pepe's side do?
What does Bill's left hand control?
here

i honestly dont know what your talking about

sorry, what thing is sticking out of his side?

left hand works the arm rods .

puppetpackpepe

Reaction score
I think i've cracked the diagram. I bought most of the stuff today from Lowes that I needed. I've started assembling it. I found an interesting little thing I'm using to put my finger through to pull the string down. The bag lists it as a "Plastic Clamp" But it has just enough space to put your finger through snug, and it has a little piece of plastic going off the side that has a hole that you can tie the string through. I might be posting pictures one I get this bugger finished. I just have to figure out how to mount everything. The little box I bought to put all my 'mechanical' stuff in is a blue electrical box that works perfect.
Does anyone know where I can buy a little short spring? Any websites?
If anyone has ever built a Pepe (or like that) puppet on here, once you built the mechainism, how did you put it in the puppet?

Thanks,
Cody

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
normally in a puppet like pepe or the rats thier is no "housing" for the mech, keep in mind these are very small muppets, standing about a foot high, and you need to fit your hand in thier as well, , also keep it simple, and light , alot of they mechanichs are self contained,

puppetpackpepe

Reaction score
Well, im not going to try to make a replica of Pepe. I just really wanna make a puppet that uses a mechanism like his. I think I might make a duck. I don't know yet.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Whoops, sorry, ...my mistake..it just looked like he was holding something more.

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
Hi I’m new on this forum.

I think I’ve worked out a way to make a Pepe, Rizzo type character. I’ve made a frame already and it works well.

Look at my drawing -

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/muppetpics/puppetmouth.jpg

Pulling the trigger with your finger (or you can use the ring idea) opens the mouth. And sliding the bottom piece side to side or up and down with your thumb will make the head piece do the same movement.
I hope my diagram makes sense.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Every mech Ive seen, has an up-down lever action.
But if I'm grasping the rod, or whatever you want to call it, upright, and I extend my index finger, it doesn't really do an Up-down movement.It's seems like it would be hard to animate a mouth like this.
I know the real pepe has a string with a ring on the end, but I just think it'd be easier, if the trigger was parrallel with the rod you're holding.
Just ergonomics, right?
I know it would be more complicated, and you should keep things simple, but I cant see this method everyone uses , as being very comfortable.

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
Put your thumb behind the wooden part (opposite side of trigger). Then you can move it up and down or side to side, and the head does the same movement. It feels pretty comfortable.

It works I've already made the frame. =D To join the neck spring I drilled a small hole on the neck and head part then glued the spring in. It's only short and fairly strong so when I relax my thumb the head goes back to face straight ahead.

I'm sorry I'm not that good at drawing graphics but the design works. The spring at the neck lets it move side ways and up and down. when you move the bottom peice. The wire pushes the top peice with it.

Hope it makes sence. :confused: :eek: