Phil Robertson "Fired"

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Please read my reply to your post. It is true, but it's a complicated situation.
But there's a big difference between slavery existing in the Old Testament and the Bible endorsing slavery

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm not asking you to buy. But don't accuse me of things please.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But there's a big difference between slavery existing in the Old Testament and the Bible endorsing slavery
I agree with you, say in relation to what Paul said. I don't see that as endorsing slavery. But in the OT there were instructions about how to properly beat your slaves. That was wrong. And not the will of God.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'll ask again, please show your work cause I don't believe it's true.
Ok, Incest is easy.

Adam and Eve had three sons. Who do you think, with four males and one female, they had sex with to populate the earth? The entire earth's population, if going by Genesis, started with incest. Even given the argument they had other children, then you still have brothers and sisters having kids with each other.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'd like to see your work on this claim cause I don't believe it's true

Um, you have Google too, but here are a few search results...

One of many examples of raping and pillaging:
Numbers 31:7-18 They attacked Midian just as the LORD had commanded Moses, and they killed all the men. All five of the Midianite kings – Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba – died in the battle. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. Then the Israelite army captured the Midianite women and children and seized their cattle and flocks and all their wealth as plunder. They burned all the towns and villages where the Midianites had lived. After they had gathered the plunder and captives, both people and animals, they brought them all to Moses and Eleazar the priest, and to the whole community of Israel, which was camped on the plains of Moab beside the Jordan River, across from Jericho.

Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the people went to meet them outside the camp. But Moses was furious with all the military commanders who had returned from the battle. "Why have you let all the women live?" he demanded. "These are the very ones who followed Balaam's advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD's people. Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.

One of many examples of slavery:
Leviticus 25:44-46 However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.

And here's just a weird one for the heck-of-it:
1 Kings 20:35-36 Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, "Strike me!" But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, "Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me." And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
  • First, I think its great that you have found a religion that brings you joy!
  • Second, I don't support the bashing of anyone for any reason. We all have absurdities and sometimes some polite chiding is in order, but never disrespect. Not toward Christians. Not toward gays. Not toward anyone.
  • Christians are not being bashed as pertains to this particular controversy. Insensitivity is the culprit. In various statements, Mr. Roberson mocked gay sexuality, equated being gay to promiscuity, terrorism, murder and animal fornication. He even went so far as to say that the existence of gay people will lead to the fall of America. That's bashing. He could have shared his message the way Jesus would (or better yet, just say exactly what Jesus said on the subject which was nothing).
  • If you'd like to understand true intolerance, that would take walking around in someone else's shoes for a while. Maybe you should visit with a few gay people without witnessing to them and just listen to their stories. Hear how their family treated them. Did they get kicked out onto the streets? How many friends did they keep after coming out and which ones left? How hard was going to school and being taunted? Do they have to stay closeted at work in order to keep their job? These are just a few of many things that happen to LGBT people everyday. We all have hardships, but simply loving someone of the same gender doesn't need to be one of them. To judge an LGBT person, Bible or not, is cruel. It is also presumptuous to believe that they haven't heard all the things Christians have to say.
  • We all deserve equal respect and dignity. While I understand witnessing to people is a part of Christianity, there is a time agree to disagree with other people and respect that their beliefs are just as heartfelt as your own.
I guess that's all I have to say.
Good points!
Let me say this:
There are only two types of people that God sees when he looks down on earth. They are those that are saved, and those that are lost. God did not send his son Jesus to this earth for only straight people, or only gay people, or only black, or white people, he sent his son for ALL. "For God so loved the WORLD, that he gave his only begotten Son, that WHOSOEVER believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16) It's all a matter of the heart.

Now for my previous comment that you quoted. I know what your saying, and your right Christians are not getting bashed by this issue. I honestly think that Christians are doing all the bashing of themselves and of the gay community. Christians are being taught all the things to hate, and I am not going to list them all, because there are quite a few. What they are not being taught is the message of the gospel, and with that they are giving themselves and the people they are "bashing" a bad name.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'll ask again, please show your work cause I don't believe it's true.
Ok, Incest is easy.

Adam and Eve had three sons. Who do you think, with four males and one female, they had sex with to populate the earth? The entire earth's population, if going by Genesis, started with incest. Even given the argument they had other children, then you still have brothers and sisters having kids with each other.
Polygamy is easy too. Look at Jacob and his many sons. They didn't all come from one wife. In fact that's a big part of the story.

The point is, there are parts of the Bible that represent a primitive culture. Jesus did contract many aspects of the OT. And I do believe his intent was for us to follow his example and use our heads about things. Not to blindly believe everything just because it's in a scripture.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Um, you have Google too, but here are a few search results...

One of many examples of raping and pillaging:
Numbers 31:7-18 They attacked Midian just as the LORD had commanded Moses, and they killed all the men. All five of the Midianite kings – Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba – died in the battle. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. Then the Israelite army captured the Midianite women and children and seized their cattle and flocks and all their wealth as plunder. They burned all the towns and villages where the Midianites had lived. After they had gathered the plunder and captives, both people and animals, they brought them all to Moses and Eleazar the priest, and to the whole community of Israel, which was camped on the plains of Moab beside the Jordan River, across from Jericho.

Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the people went to meet them outside the camp. But Moses was furious with all the military commanders who had returned from the battle. "Why have you let all the women live?" he demanded. "These are the very ones who followed Balaam's advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD's people. Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.

One of many examples of slavery:
Leviticus 25:44-46 However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.

And here's just a weird one for the heck-of-it:
1 Kings 20:35-36 Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, "Strike me!" But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, "Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me." And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him.
You're right. I have google as well. I googled the Bible allowing or endorsing rape, incest, slavery, etc. and for every Bible verse that is trotted out there as showing endorsement I can find a Bible verse or interpretation that refutes that. I guess it depends on your particular bias as to whether you support and believe or not.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The Old Testament where for the Jews, and they require a sign. (1 Corinthians 1:22-24)
Also I bring back the verse of Rightly dividing the word of truth. in (2Timothy 2:15)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As far as polygomy and incest goes, as has been pointed out, there were certain "rules" back in the days of the Old Testament as part of the Old Covenent with God, before the New Covenent with Jesus basically overwrote it (I think this is partly why some claim that the 10 Commandments no longer apply to us, but I digress). One of these "rules", as was touched on somewhat, was that a man had to have a son to carry on his name for generations to come, which is why men would marry multiple women until one bore him a son; as for incest, there's a passage in the Bible, tough I can't remember what book it's from, off the top of my head, where a man had two daughters who knew he needed a son to carry his name, so on two separate nights, each of them got their father drunk till he was passed out, and slept with him, hoping one of them would bare a son for him.