Phil Robertson "Fired"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Um, yeah, they did a story about the Robertsons not too long ago for the news, and no, they're not necessarily, "Fake", but they did reveal that they weren't always the long-haired, beard-wearing hippies they are today.

Once again, Phil and his son Willie were featured as clients on BILLY THE EXTERMINATOR years before they had their own show, and even then, they had the long hair and beards, so while it's not something they've possessed all their life, it's not just something they do for TV either.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This actually kinda comforts me, lol. And hey, they're nice family photos. The guys clean up good, lol.

Once again, Phil and his son Willie were featured as clients on BILLY THE EXTERMINATOR years before they had their own show, and even then, they had the long hair and beards, so while it's not something they've possessed all their life, it's not just something they do for TV either.
Ahhh, good research there! So yeah, this is probably a look the family had decided to sport and A&E saw possibilities.

It's Television. It's in its nature to be a bit deceptive. The Monkees weren't a real band either. However, they were made up of real life musicians and singers.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ahhh, good research there! So yeah, this is probably a look the family had decided to sport and A&E saw possibilities.
Y'know, similarly, it's kind of the same story with Billy as well; not sure if they still do, but A&E had a number of older family photos on their site, and likewise, there was a time where Billy (and his brother Ricky) weren't all dressed in black with spiked and studded accessories and such.

I guess it just takes some people longer to find their true selves, or at least, their "style" and "look" than it does others. Let us not forget, Jim Henson wasn't always the shaggy-haired and bearded hippy we all know either... likewise, others such as Caroll Spinney didn't start growing their hair longer or start growing beards either until Jim. I remember Caroll once saying that after he first grew his beard, he only shaved it off once, looked at himself in a mirror, and thought, "I don't know who I am!"

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Well, now I feel stupid. The Duck Dynasty cast have been uncovered to be largely fake. I mean, they exist as people and I'm sure they believe what they profess, but their trademarked persona was entirely invented for television. Here are some cast member pictures taken prior to the series...frosted tips and all. They're basically just rich yuppies. I'm not a fan of the tone of the article these came from (there's no cause to be that mean), so here are the pictures without the snark.
Really? I thought it was pretty well known that they played it up for the series. They are millionaires and you don't just stumble across being one. And little known fact. I forget which one but one of them was actually the starting quarterback ahead of Terry Bradshaw in college. He quit to start up their duck call company and that's how Terry Bradshaw got the starting job in college. Bradshaw tells the story how whenever they meet up they jokingly ask each other "how'd things ever work out for you?"

I'm glad you said you didn't care for the tone of the article. The hate the guy in the video puts out is on the same plain as what the guy from duck dynasty is being condemned for.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, now I feel stupid. The Duck Dynasty cast have been uncovered to be largely fake. I mean, they exist as people and I'm sure they believe what they profess, but their trademarked persona was entirely invented for television. Here are some cast member pictures taken prior to the series...frosted tips and all. They're basically just rich yuppies. I'm not a fan of the tone of the article these came from (there's no cause to be that mean), so here are the pictures without the snark.
AH HA!!!! YES! YES! YES! YES!

I knew that whole down home country stuff was total B.S. I'm sure the guy still believes that stuff, but now instead of a good ol' boy, he's some rich, spoiled guy who clings to Conservative Talking points because he's a rich spoiled guy! HA!

And in the event his statements were a hoax, yeah... the real idiots with egg on their face are the far right talking heads that think he's this big bold hero for agreeing with their worn out platform that even most conservatives stopped caring about. The gay thing, not the money thing. Never the money thing.

THIS is the story we need to tell. Reality TV needs to be taken down, and especially the channels that continue to shove that filth and low culture down our throats. Now only if we can expose the Honey Boo Boo family and the Kardashians, then we'll really have something here.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
AH HA!!!! YES! YES! YES! YES!

I knew that whole down home country stuff was total B.S. I'm sure the guy still believes that stuff, but now instead of a good ol' boy, he's some rich, spoiled guy who clings to Conservative Talking points because he's a rich spoiled guy! HA!
Why does it have to be the extreme for you? Maybe he still is a down home country boy whose family started up a company selling duck calls and was very successful at it. Isn't that the American dream? Instead everybody who is rich is spoiled. The evil rich. Believe it or not, there are a lot, A LOT, of generous, kind-hearted, caring rich folks out there. Your stereotyping of the so-called evil rich is just as wrong as the things the duck dynasty guy said.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why does it have to be the extreme for you?
I dunno.

Why does everything have to be so smug and self righteous with you?

All I'm saying is the show is FAKE! His talking points are probably just as fake as they are.

And yes. There are some great, generous rich guys. They DON'T go talking about how taxes are robbing them and whining about Welfare queens. Not the case here.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Why does it have to be the extreme for you? Maybe he still is a down home country boy whose family started up a company selling duck calls and was very successful at it. Isn't that the American dream? Instead everybody who is rich is spoiled. The evil rich. Believe it or not, there are a lot, A LOT, of generous, kind-hearted, caring rich folks out there. Your stereotyping of the so-called evil rich is just as wrong as the things the duck dynasty guy said.
I think that the objection is to the fact that the Duck Dynasty family has led viewers to believe that they were poor "white trash" (their choice of words) when in fact they are quite wealthy and just recently ditched their preppy style and khaki shorts for long beards and camouflage.

As far as rich people, there's nothing wrong with money. It's neither good nor evil. It is merely a means. What one does with it defines their moral character.

However, Jesus did make this rather harsh statement in Matthew 19:24. "Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Now, I don't think he was characterizing all wealthy people. He was probably citing the lack of charity among rich men of the time.

So, this little blip popped up and (even though I don't usually like Dan Savage much) it explains some of my perspectives on the matter.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, I think people are missing the point here: it's not like they went all redneck/hippy overnight for the sake of television. Yes, they were once clean-shaven preps at one point, but again, their "look" was far more gradual than you make think. Again, years before DUCK DYNASTY hit the airwaves, Phil and Willie were featured on BILLY THE EXTERMINATOR, and even then, they had the long hair, and the beards, and camouflage. It is a stark contrast, yes, but again, it's not like they did it overnight, just like Billy himself wasn't always the dressed-in black, covered in spikes and chains dude many know him as now. Even Jim's shaggy hair was a gradual process: look at photos of him through the 60s, you'll see there was a time where, although he had grown his trademark beard, he still had relatively short hair; similarly, some early photos show Frank Oz and Don Sahlin without their familiar mustaches.