Phil Robertson "Fired"

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Again, I think people are missing the point here: it's not like they went all redneck/hippy overnight for the sake of television. Yes, they were once clean-shaven preps at one point, but again, their "look" was far more gradual than you make think. Again, years before DUCK DYNASTY hit the airwaves, Phil and Willie were featured on BILLY THE EXTERMINATOR, and even then, they had the long hair, and the beards, and camouflage. It is a stark contrast, yes, but again, it's not like they did it overnight, just like Billy himself wasn't always the dressed-in black, covered in spikes and chains dude many know him as now. Even Jim's shaggy hair was a gradual process: look at photos of him through the 60s, you'll see there was a time where, although he had grown his trademark beard, he still had relatively short hair; similarly, some early photos show Frank Oz and Don Sahlin without their familiar mustaches.

Technically, Billy the Exterminator is listed as a relatively recent show (2009), so it really wasn't years and years before Duck Dynasty. And it was largely seen by some in the industry as a backdoor pilot to Duck Dynasty which occurred very soon after that taping.

Drtooth

Reaction score
However, Jesus did make this rather harsh statement in Matthew 19:24. "Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Now, I don't think he was characterizing all wealthy people. He was probably citing the lack of charity among rich men of the time.
Again, the POINT I was trying to make. MuppetsRule, being MuppetsRule, oversimplified my point (cherry picking the most accessible quote of mine) put words in my mouth and came off as an "I'm so much better than you" lecture. I've had problems with him in the past. There's a difference between saying "I disagree, and think you're wrong and here's why..." and saying "Jezz, are you serious?"

My point is, Social Darwinism (and I'm am not saying that's a bad thing) is incompatible with Christ. Ayn Rand was an atheist and rich conservatives get most of their values from her. But to go around and be all "I'm a good Christian because I think homosexuality is a sin" is hypocritical to say the least. I mean, jeez... just say "I hate gays because I hate gays" and I'll be more understanding.

Bottom line: Nothing is wrong with making money, nothing is wrong with having money. But standing up on a moral high horse (what Phil did, regardless of reality or falseness) about one Christian talking point that most Christians don't even agree with then to basically refuse charity, which most Christians believe was the true message of Christ, is far more offensive to me as a Christian than claiming that he lost his freedom of speech.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Technically, Billy the Exterminator is listed as a relatively recent show (2009), so it really wasn't years and years before Duck Dynasty. And it was largely seen by some in the industry as a backdoor pilot to Duck Dynasty which occurred very soon after that taping.
Still, the point I'm trying to get across is that, yes, they weren't always redneck bearded hippies, but at the same time, it's not like they transformed themselves into redneck bearded hippies overnight because they thought it would work for television, which seems to be the accusation that's floating around the thread.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say they're more the old ZZ Top Helmo's Angles types instead of true hippies.

But the truth does seem to be somewhere inbetween. If it's not all an act, it's partially one.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Still, the point I'm trying to get across is that, yes, they weren't always redneck bearded hippies, but at the same time, it's not like they transformed themselves into redneck bearded hippies overnight because they thought it would work for television, which seems to be the accusation that's floating around the thread.

I don't think any of us can claim with any certainty that they did or didn't change their appearance in order to court TV producers. One thing is certain, the male members of the clan made a relatively recent and very dramatic image change from J Crew model to ZZ Top roadie. Maybe they did it for personal reasons, maybe they did it to sell more duck whistles, maybe they did it to try to land a TV show. The point is, their lives are a lot different than their reality show counterparts. I don't think anyone should be shocked by that. Personally, whether it's Duck Dynasty, Mafia Wives, Survivor, Big Brother or any number of programs, it's all trash TV that preys upon the worst parts of human nature. We deserve better than to poke fun at other people no matter how much money they're making as comedic foils.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, that I get, yeah, I misunderstood, I apologize.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Okay, that I get, yeah, I misunderstood, I apologize.

Aw, there nothing you said that requires that. I just think people have the perception that celebrities are like their TV personas, and that's probably seldom the case. And really, what's with all the reality shows? Television offers limitless possibilities, but viewers choose to watch these tacky faux reality people. I'll never get it. If I'm going to live vicariously through somebody, they better do something interesting like live in a pineapple under the sea, save the world from aliens or be able to fly. :smile:

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I think Muppet Central would make a good reality TV show!
Great idea! There would be some crossovers and hear some ridiculous questions like: "Kathy, why did you chose Robin the Frog as your roomate?" Okay, it's a simple silly question, but it works.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just think people have the perception that celebrities are like their TV personas, and that's probably seldom the case.
Yeah, even some reality stars actually have problems with that as well. I know I keep bringing up Billy, I know he's actually had problems with a majority of his fanbase, some of his fans are incredibly selfish and rude people: there's been times fans would want to meet him, get pictures with him, yadda-yadda-yadda, but like most non-Kardashian reality stars, he needs his privacy and personal space as well, then when he kindly declines some people to have pictures take or something along those lines, then a lot of those fans turn right around, and spout stuff like, "Wow, Billy's a real jerk in real life!" Matter of fact, he spoke out about this one time; he surprisingly has quite a following among kids (not sure why that is, his show is definitely not for kids), and a mother had contacted him once, telling him that her daughter was a huge fan of his, and requested that he fly them in so she could meet him, and she also expected him to pay for the costs, and accommodate them as well. She didn't even ask if he would do anything this, she basically requested him to do all this, but he tried to explain to her he shouldn't have to be expected to cater to anybody, even his fans, like that. On a side note though, I had a friend once who met Doug Walker at a convention, and she said he was pretty much as big of an a-hole in person as he is as TGWTG... even then, we don't really know for sure if Doug is actually really like that, or if he puts on an act for public appearances, since he seems to stay in character very well.
And really, what's with all the reality shows? Television offers limitless possibilities, but viewers choose to watch these tacky faux reality people. I'll never get it. If I'm going to live vicariously through somebody, they better do something interesting like live in a pineapple under the sea, save the world from aliens or be able to fly. :smile:
Well, like Drtooth has said time and time again, most people who watch reality shows seem to mostly do so out of irony... I personally blow off almost all reality shows, however, the only reason I started watching BILLY THE EXTERMINATOR in the first place was mainly because I ended up catching a glimpse of it, and it's definitely one of those, "Unintentional comedies", mainly because Billy's on-camera persona is so wild and out there, and sometimes the jobs he and Ricky go out on seem to always ensue some kind of hilarity whenever the animals and pests somehow get the better of them... Ricky even lampshaded all of this once when Billy was cracking jokes about how disgusting their job can be sometimes, and Ricky said, "Yeah Billy, we need a laugh track." Other than that, I don't watch reality TV, mainly because most of these reality shows do nothing to actually contribute to society, or help make the world a better place, yet somehow, some of these poor excuses for people, like the entire Kardashian clan, sadly have a number of followers who actually regard them as role models. Sad, sad, sad.