Phil Robertson "Fired"

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The point is, their lives are a lot different than their reality show counterparts. I don't think anyone should be shocked by that.
I knew they were wealthy since the show started. That was common knowledge as far as I knew. Despite their beards, I don't think anyone could mistake them for poor people. Look at where they live! That was the whole point of the show, they were a family that made good.

And actually I thought the father was the one who always had the beard, but the sons later adopted it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, like Drtooth has said time and time again, most people who watch reality shows seem to mostly do so out of irony...
And that's a very bad thing. There's so much better stuff to watch ironically than these reality shows. There are B movies MST3K had no time to tackle. There are really bad scripted TV shows out there, old and new. There's stuff people made with no intention of being camp. Much as I hate the Brady Bunch, that's your iconic ironic show (noting that people do actually like it seriously, but their main fanbase is nostalgic and or ironic).

The point I made a while back is that the audience of Duck Dynasty clearly consists mostly of ironic tuners in that laugh at how Rednecky they pretend to be. Which brings me back to original point... why is everyone so surprised and offended? Isn't the point to laugh at how not upper class they aren't? Can't that fraction of the audience just mock how Straw Southern Christian he is? Even if that's false?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
And that's a very bad thing. There's so much better stuff to watch ironically than these reality shows. There are B movies MST3K had no time to tackle. There are really bad scripted TV shows out there, old and new. There's stuff people made with no intention of being camp. Much as I hate the Brady Bunch, that's your iconic ironic show (noting that people do actually like it seriously, but their main fanbase is nostalgic and or ironic).

The point I made a while back is that the audience of Duck Dynasty clearly consists mostly of ironic tuners in that laugh at how Rednecky they pretend to be. Which brings me back to original point... why is everyone so surprised and offended? Isn't the point to laugh at how not upper class they aren't? Can't that fraction of the audience just mock how Straw Southern Christian he is? Even if that's false?
Begging your pardon for my ignorance on this subject. Maybe it's a generational thing I missed out on. But how would someone my age set about the task of watching tv ironically? (To me, it seems ironic if I can keep my eyes open til the end of the show, but there must be more to it than that).

Any helpful hints or tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Begging your pardon for my ignorance on this subject. Maybe it's a generational thing I missed out on. But how would someone my age set about the task of watching tv ironically?
Nononono, what he's saying is people who watch reality TV, not TV in general, mostly do so out of irony.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I found this, and thought I would post it for those who are in "support" of Phil.

http://istandwithphil.com/

Let the growling begin!

That's a terribly misleading page. It wasn't Mr. Robertson's opinion that got him suspended. It was the disrespectful tone and unChrist-like nature of how he stated it. He didn't just paraphrase a Bible verse; he continued on to mock gay people and align the LGBT with terrorists and other very sordid and unrelated things. We all deserve respect and Mr. Robertson owes gays and African Americans an apology for his crude characterizations (not to be confused with his belief in the Bible). I'm sure the program would have him back if he were to swallow his pride and make amends. That would be the Christian thing to do.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Besides it's probably less of a sin anyway in the idea of how in the days of the Bible more people were expected to reproduce and that was the main purpose of sex. Now of course some people avoid pregnancies....and the population is higher, so it's probably not as "sinful" as it was in the past in my opinion.