Photo of The Original Telly Monster!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The spirals are a lot smaller than I'd expected them (I expected the spirals to fill the eyes), but I think they are the color I expected.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Gosh. That is creepy. I'm glad they changed his appearance.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At long last! I've been wanting to see the original Telly Monster for ages and ages now! I wasn't even aware he had antannea coming out of his head aswell, so that was a bit of a surprise to me, lol.

Other than that, he really doesn't look too awful different... lol, he kind of looks high, though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If I needed any proof this wasn't a fan driven conspiracy (and there have been in a LOT of cases... ) then this is it.

And I agree... no wonder they had to change his appearance. I don't think any kid wouldn't have been royally freaked by that.

Anyone else notice his nose is more Honker-like in that picture?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Telly's nose, in general, has changed a lot over the years... remember in the 80s and 90s how narrow and thin i used to be? In the early 2000s, it seems to have gotten bigger, with a more boulbous end... now in recent years, it's gotten smaller again, but it's kept its current shape.

APRena

Reaction score
Wow. That's almost scary. Like Snuffy with his original huge yellow eyes. Aside from the "television obession is a bad message" thing, that would give little kids nightmares. :scary:

sesameguy

Reaction score
Yes, that's what he looked like & I'm 99% sure it was taken from his first episode (he should be looking at a little TV set on the box there.) Thanks for letting us know!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow. That's almost scary. Like Snuffy with his original huge yellow eyes. Aside from the "television obession is a bad message" thing, that would give little kids nightmares. :scary:
Oh yeah, in watching SST Old School Vol 1 for the first time, and when I saw that... THING... I knew that had I been a little kid at that time seeing Snuffy for the first time, I would've been scared to death, and to this day, Snuffy would still bother me irregardless they changed his appearance.

But then again, we have to keep in mind that with just about all of his characters, Jim Henson constantly experimented with them, and it shows... both Grover and Cookie Monster originally being more of a grayish green color, Big Bird being a (literally) brainless "village idiot" as Caroll described him, Ernie and Bert's appearances... ORANGE OSCAR! But I really admire how Jim constantly experimented with his characters, even during their on-camera time, that's always been a part of what makes the Muppets fun is US seeing how they change and evolve as well.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I didn't expect the original Telly Monster to have eye lids. I expected the eyes to be full circles without any blockage.

I really hope that the 40th anniversary DVD includes some footage of the early Telly. It'd be great to see his eyes spinning.