Pig Goat Banana Cricket

mr3urious

Reaction score
It's official: Thomas Jefferson is a recurring antagonist toward Goat. And I was floored by the reference to the "Whig Party", another one of those little things that goes over the heads many adults as well as kids.

And I'm thankful that Mr. Gus wasn't the only one to be victimized by jorts. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
This show really has become a delightfully insane series, and I love that Thomas Jefferson is a recurring antagonist (and a huge d-bag as well). I especially loved seeing that the entire show came together at the end more naturally than some of them have been. Also great to see one of the Ham Hocks again.

Pig buying back his own costume with Banana's Money. That was delightfully double circular. And anyone who's been mistaken of an employee of a store can sympathize with the idiotic demands of the loud obnoxious customers. I was mistaken on occasion when I was clearly not wearing anything remotely resembling the work uniform. That's why I don't wear red when I go to Target.

Also, this is off topic, but Fairly OddParents was bleeeechhh. If there was one thing the show wasn't missing, it was yet another character.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also liked how the glue tank randomly came to life at the end of Banana's story. Reminded me of The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat where that would happen constantly.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Took me a while to figure it out. The President of the Planet's voice is clearly modeled after former politician, current crackpot Jesse Ventura.

If there's one thing that I'm loving about this show, it's the odd introduction of random characters for the sake of plot like they've been there the whole time. LOVED the Waffle Mafia.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I really enjoyed how Pig was trying to make up for destroying Angry Old Raisin's life by doing all these good deeds for him only for them to backfire horribly, and for him to finally forgive him in the end thanks to Cricket's Baby Maker making him young again. The constant foreshadowing cries of "I'm old" made it all the more effective.

And you gotta love Banana's couch potato "talent" really winning over the crowd at the competition (with a cameo from not-Oscar the Grouch appearing on the TV). And how Goat's rant and unflattering impression of the President of the Planet (that he loved when he first saw it) offended him when accidentally presented at the talent show, causing him to do an impression of Goat. And that, too, also made her change her tone when PotP sang one of her songs, so that adds a nice heartwarming nuance to the whole thing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm starting to think this show is somehow a slight deconstruction of cartoon stand-bys. The trying to delete an offensive e-mail that shouldn't have been sent is nothing new, neither is ticking off an angry guy completely accidentally and trying to fix it or the guy who doesn't realize he has a secret talent. But what they did with each of them was magically sarcastic.

The Old Raisin (who I'd like to add wishes he was an octopus so he could put 8 feet up 8 [butts]) constantly grumbling "I'm old" was just a hilarious slap at the grumpy old neighbor standby. Particularly in an American Dennis the Menace situation. Pig trying to help's consequences were so incredibly over the top (a giant Scottish dinosaur that thinks a plaid house is a kilt !) that it couldn't possibly have been done straight. Goat trying to disguise as a meatball sub? Hilarious. The President of the Planet initially liking the video then taking it back and mocking Goat to the point where Goat's the one that's flattered he was singing her song was a great way to turn that one around. And Banana having a talent of defending the remote was a great slap at that cliche as well.

Even Cricket's bit with the Baby Maker was far more over the top and inspired than it needed to be. You knew the Pizza Hammer would be on the magazine the second they mentioned it. The way it got there was all the fun. I especially like the resolution that there wasn't an antidote for the ray and they had to wait 20 years for it to wear off with no baring on the rest of the show's timeframe. Not to mention Cricket's line "Hey, remember 20 years ago when we were on the cover of that magazine." just abruptly ending the scene...

What makes this show infinitely better than it should and could be is how over the top, almost sarcastic it is with its wacky cartoon-ness. They seriously give no craps about what's too much with this series. Too much is never enough and that's one of the show's three strengths along with the Round Robin storytelling and wild artwork.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Goat trying to disguise as a meatball sub? Hilarious.
The meatball sub gag was something else. Why break in using a logical scheme when you can just do something totally nonsensical? And it totally could have worked had the PotP not been on a diet. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really think that if you're going the wacky, idiotic, off the wall cartoon angle, you might as well push it as far as it can go. Yes, I like a nicely structured cartoon series that can either go all over or bridge the gap between comedy, action, and drama. You know, you're Avatars, Stevens Universe, and Ducks of the Darkwinged variety. But I also love the occasional so incredibly off the wall it shouldn't work and not only does but it excels at it. Uncle Grandpa, Cow and Chicken and more so its spinoff. Stuff like that. PGBC never disappoints in sheer glorious stupidity. It revels in its own lack of sense and insanity. That's why I think shows like My Gym Partner's a Monkey and Fanboy and Chum Chum fail. They want to be stupid, they want to be goofy but fall short for whatever reason, and instead of being gloriously mind bending, they just come off as lazy, unfunny, and dumb. Not even fun dumb, just... "ugh, this is dumb" dumb. If you're going to be goofy, go for the gusto. PGBC runs to the stupid wall at Mach 10 and shatters it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, we got an episode featuring the odd in show clone of itself. Of course, Banana's the show's biggest fan and his favorite is his analogue. And Pig's crazy dreams to be something insane came back.

But the best segment was Cricket's. Just... the show managed to outcrazy itself. All I can say.

Also great to see the pop diva that Goat upstaged in the Challawunga episode come back a a rival. But unlike Thomas Jefferson, she warms up to Goat.

mr3urious

Reaction score
So, we got an episode featuring the odd in show clone of itself. Of course, Banana's the show's biggest fan and his favorite is his analogue.
Also loved the mythology gag in that Cricket was going to be called Mantis, but Nick insisted on changing it to avoid confusion with the character from Legends of Awesomeness.

And I imagine Banana is a fan of Avocado because he's lazy like him, and that he sympathized with his character's butt monkey status, which explains why he caused chaos on the set.

And Pig's crazy dreams to be something insane came back.
Also enjoyed the reference to the "Batman eating a hot dog" meme. Kind of obscure, at least in the mainstream.

But the best segment was Cricket's. Just... the show managed to outcrazy itself. All I can say.
And the climax that referenced the one from Mars Attacks where the martians' heads explode from hearing a terrible song... Just wonderful, and also kind of obscure a reference.

Also great to see the pop diva that Goat upstaged in the Challawunga episode come back a a rival. But unlike Thomas Jefferson, she warms up to Goat.
Goat's got a point with that slasher flick. Why not avert the old cliché of the helpless sorority girl and have her fight back against him? I'd sure as heck watch a horror like that if it doesn't already exist. :smile: