Planned but never finished

beaker

Reaction score
You're forgetting about the animated Muppet show(starring Splurge) called Scary Scary Monsters, which was spose to be akin to the Fraggle Rock animated show. It was set for a 1998 release, and in fact they had various promotional tie ins and books. Supposedly a pilot was made.

Also, 2002 Fox Prime Time Muppet show, of which supposedly a pilot pitch tape exists.

Also, a 1988 puppet show called the Primitives, if my memory serves me correctly.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
beaker said:
Also, 2002 Fox Prime Time Muppet show, of which supposedly a pilot pitch tape exists.
I already mentioend that in my first post.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
beaker said:
Also, a 1988 puppet show called the Primitives, if my memory serves me correctly.

actually the primitives were created for a show called "Innertube", which eventually morphed into the Jim Henson Hour

Luke

Reaction score
"Jim Hensons Frog School" was announced around the time of Swamp Years but was gonna be a similar thing but as a TV series. Here's an article on it :-

Henson Preschool TV Shows in Development
from Kidscreen Magazine, January 3, 2002
by Mike Connell

Jim Henson Television has decided to give the world an inside look into what made Kermit the reptile he is today. Jim Henson's Frog School is a live action/Muppet preschool comedy (with some short animated segments) that centers around Kermie's adolescent years at Frog School, where his education was based on an ancient frog philosophy stressing virtue and responsibility for one's actions towards others and the environment. Jim Henson's daughter Lisa will serve as executive producer on the 26 x half-hour series, which is budgeted at between $350,000 and $400,000 per episode. Animated sequences illustrate fables and myths from around the world that are used to teach the reptilian students about life outside the swamp.

The project is part of a new Henson curriculum focus guided by an educational advisory board established to help the company follow through on its assertion that TV can change people's lives, says Juliet Blake, president of Jim Henson Television US. Henson is hoping to carve a niche with preschool shows that tackle school readiness, Blake explains, from both an emotional and curriculum perspective. She likens Frog School to Bear in the Big Blue House, the producer of which -- Alex Rockwell -- is also on-board for the new Henson offering.

Another preschool project under the advisory board's guidance is Harry and Lulu. Budgeted closer to $300,000 per ep, this 26 x half-hour animated series stars a five-year-old and her brand-new stuffed dog. When Lulu's parents turn off the lights at night, Harry comes to life and starts telling her about his world travels. Lulu's a little skeptical, so Harry leads her through a magical doggie door that's a portal to anywhere in the world. The series was developed for preschoolers about to make the transition to kindergarten, the idea being to introduce them to the fact that there's a big world outside their neighborhood full of different kinds of kids.

Both Jim Henson's Frog School and Harry and Lulu are in early development, and delivery dates weren't available at press time.

Luke

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Muppet Haunted House is the only one of those that has consistantly been mentioned as being planned, though it still hasn't been made.

I also remember seeing a website that mentioned that The Jim Henson Company bought a script from a fan that was going to be made. This was titled The next Muppet Movie. I'm not really sure if that was true or not, as there were never any official news articles about it.
Muppet Haunted House was actually written (or maybe co-written, re-drafted etc etc) by Greg The Bunny's creator ... although i'm not sure that's widely known about. Quite a bit is known about it (plot etc) and the last time i heard it mentioned was when Henson (under EMTV) were trying to pitch a Halloween AVMC follow up project to NBC. There was also talk of a Valentines TV movie, they were trying to do lots of Muppets seasonal TV movies.

The Next Muppet Movie - I believe is a script Brian Henson bought from somebody but i've never heard that it was a "fan". Although most writers are gonna be fans to some extent to be writing spec scripts for Muppets.

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
How about Pests? It was concieved as a new prime-time animated series featuring cockroaches that lived in the apartment building. The show never aired, but the scripts were written.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Dan Milano is the name of the creator (and performer) of Greg The Bunny, though that show also had two other people credited as creators.

I think I've also heard that Henson was planning a show called The Kermit The Frog Show, which would have been a muppet talk show. I think this was mentioend maybe a year after EM.TV announced that there would be a new muppet show.

Luke

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Dan Milano is the name of the creator (and performer) of Greg The Bunny, though that show also had two other people credited as creators.
Yeah that's it - it was Dan who wrote the script ... or at least one version of it. He's a huge Muppet fan. I think under him it may have been "Hotel" and not "House"

abiraniriba

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I thought I'd start a thread concerning henson productions that were planned but were never made, or at least weren't completed.

Here are some of the things that I know of:

Movies
An italian Film (without muppets or creatures)
a Dinosaurs movie
The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made (has also been referred to as The Muppets Cheapest Movie)
The Muppets leave Hollywood
The Muppets Go To Camelot
Muppet haunted House (has also been called Muppet Hauted Hotel and Muppet Scary Movie)
Muppet Time machine

TV Shows
Tales of the Tinkerdee series (only two pilots were produced)
The Zoocus
a Wizard of Id series (only a pilot was filmed)
Hey, Cinderella series (only a pilot was made)
Puppetman series (only a pilot was produced)
Island of the Lost Muppets (was this planned as a series, a special, or a mini-series?)
Muppet High
a live-action Little Mermaid series (only a pilot was produced)
an enviromental series
A new muppet show (one announced in 2000, another one (or possibly the same one) announced to air on Fox in 2002)

Specials
Snow White
Muppet Halloween Special
Johnny Carson and The Muppet machine
The Muppets Income Tax Special

Videos
The Storyteller (in 1996)
more Muppet Show videos from Jim Henson Video
re-releases of all of The best of The Muppet Show videos and DVDs, which would have been released by Columbia, as well as an additional 5 volumes.
more Mother Goose Stories videos and DVDs.
The Ghost of Faffner Hall videos and DVDs.

Palisades Toys
Sal Manillia action figure (sculpted, but not released)
Veterinarians Hospital figures (sculpted, but not released)
a Cow pack-in
Gobo Fraggle figure (sculpted, but not released)
Muppet Babies figures (kermit and piggy sculpted)
more Megas (including Kermit, The Swedish Chef, Rowlf, Rizzo, Pepe, and Bunsen)
The Electric Mayhem and Rowlf minis.
Muppet Stage playset
Angus McGonacle figure
Electric Mayhem bus playset
Happiness Hotel playset
Planet Koozebane playset
Veterinarians Hospital playset

Sabbaba Toys
Pigs In Space plush
Bolding mine. they may not have made an entire special on it, but when they did the tribute to Jim Henson one of the ideas they had as to who Jim Henson was was that he was an accountant (he signed their checks) so for the tribute they were going to have a big 1040 form march by.

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
How about a TV-show called Borgel, or a music video for MTV with Screaming Edith?