Plans for "Cyclia"?

Princeton

Reaction score
I wasn't really sure where to post this, but I figured FW was as good a place as any. Cyclia was an idea for a project that Jim had in the 60's (you can read more about it in Jim Henson: The Works, page 46). It was basically a proposed TV special that footage was shot for but apparently Jim decided not to do it, for some reason. But I was just wondering if maybe Brian (Henson) or somebody had any future plans to "make it happen".

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
It's doubtful that something that's been in the Henson Archives will come out, something like Cyclica. If footage does exist, it's probably better to consider that it might become an extra on a DVD. I think it would be great if a collectio nof Jim's work were released in a Box Set. It's name could be "The Unknown Treasures of Jim Henson" or "The Mind of a Muppeteer: Jim Henson."

But if someone ever meets Brian I think it would a good idea to suggest to him. After all, he wants to create new projects, so maybe something his father never finished might be a good one.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
Infinity Sirius said:
I think it would be great if a collectio nof Jim's work were released in a Box Set. It's name could be "The Unknown Treasures of Jim Henson" or "The Mind of a Muppeteer: Jim Henson."
(sigh) Another great idea for a muppet/JHC product that will probably never be released because the company is too darn stubborn to release it!!!:mad: Sorry, I just had to let that out.:sympathy:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think that this would be a good way to release it: Make a DVD titled "Jim Henson's Experimental Films", and include Timepiece, Youth '68, The Cube, and footage from Cyclia. Also include some interviews from Jane Henson, Brian Henson, and other people, talking about these films. I wonder, since Youth '68 and The Cube were produced as part of NBC's "Experiments in Television" program, does Henson own the rights to Youth '68 and Cyclia? I assume that Henson owns Timepiece.

Tim

Reaction score
It's not gonna happen because stuff like that can't make any serious money for them, and nobody cares! They can't even put "real" bonus features on the re-releases of the classic films.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Does anybody know if any clips from Cyclia were ever shown on TV, maybe in Henson's Place or The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Tim said:
It's not gonna happen because stuff like that can't make any serious money for them, and nobody cares! They can't even put "real" bonus features on the re-releases of the classic films.
If you are referring to Disney's re-releases of the Muppet movies, let me remind you that it was Disney that released them. Cyclia and other early Henson experimental films are not owned by Disney. The DVD releases of Fraggle Rock had some real bonus features (and even the single-disc releases had decent features). Dinosaurs had soem great features as well (and that was released by Disney).

I once saw a post at the Tough Pigs message board, I think it was a thread about The University of Marylin having some sort of event about Jim Henson, where it was said that The Jim Henson Company was trying to cover legal clearances to produce a special about Jim Henson's pre-Sesame Street works, and planned on having it air on PBS and released on DVD. Maybe clips from Cyclia will be included, if this project is still under consideration. I haven't read about anything else about this project outside of that Tough Pigs post (I found it a few weeks ago, and I think the post was from later than when I found it, and wa surprised that I didn't see any mention of this here or at Muppet Wiki).

travellingpat

Reaction score
I hope we'll get to see SOME of these things someday....heres hopin for that box set!!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
travellingpat said:
I hope we'll get to see SOME of these things someday....heres hopin for that box set!!
I think that something like what I mentioned could be done as a one-disc set.