1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Playhouse Muppet Videos

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by behemoth, Nov 21, 2002.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've seen it. Looks like it's a download thing. Not really sure about downloading it.

2. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Oh no, don't worry about downloading- all you have to do is click on "Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff[full] 47:40" and then it will play. Trust me, unless it's a different story with your computer, I guarantee that it will work.

3. minor muppetz

Here's something that's been online for a few years... The opening trailers on the UK release of Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff, including individual promos for The Kermit and Piggy Story and Muppet Moments.

These promos are a bit odd... There's no voice-over, and we mainly get a few samples of certain scenes. Almost like that "preview other Sesame Street videos" feature on Sony Wonder releases, or the feature on iTunes where you can preview a short clip, only multiple clips. Some things are odd... Like for The Kermit and Piggy Story, they chose an out-of-context clip where somebody gets karate-chopped for asking Miss Piggy if she works there, with no clips where it's said that she was fired. And for Muppet Moments, the beginning of the Sax and Violence clip is shown... But the promo also showed the last second of the intro before the clip began, so people see an explosion in the attic and then the fade to that clip.

I wonder if Virgin Video had promos for all of the Playhouse Videos that were released by Virgin in the UK.

Interestingly, while those video promos just show a selection of clips, it also includes the full openings to Fraggle Rock and Muppet Babies, without saying anything about video releases. I guess that's an upside to these videos not having The Muppet Show opening.

4. sesamemuppetfan

Don't forget how during The Kermit and Piggy Story preview they chose to show the scene from "True Love" of the gorilla and crocodile's lines despite Piggy not being included on that part.

5. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Active Member

I've seen a few previews like this. For example, the VHS of A Goofy Movie has a music video for Parachute Express that's disguised as a trailer.

6. sesamemuppetfan

Thread bump. It seems like every time I browse through the VHS sections of Thrift Stores, I keep seeing multiple tapes made by Playhouse Video and sadly none of them are the 10 Muppet videos they made. Obviously, it kinda makes me wonder how popular the Muppet videos were back then compared to the non-Muppet videos by Playhouse.

7. minor muppetz

Same here. I constantly find used copies of various movies and Fairie Tale Theater videos, and more occasionally find the Dr. Seuss videos (but I saw those at more video stores than the Muppet ones).

8. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Hey, I just wanted to say happy birthday, and that I hope you have a really good one.

9. sesamemuppetfan

Thanks, I did have a nice day.

10. minor muppetz

I just saw a picture of the back cover of Fozzie's Muppet Scrapbook, and noticed in the back cover summary, it asks "Will Kermit get Fozzie to paint the scenery?" So is that a big plot point/running gag in that video? Is Fozzie supposed to be painting scenery but instead spends his time looking through his scrapbook? And does he end up painting the scenery?

11. Stulz

Stulz Active Member

As far as I can remember (and it's been a while) the overall story thread is that Kermit and Fozzie have gone to the theater to paint scenery. Fozzie goes up to the attic, finds his old props and scrapbook, starts reminiscing and forgets to help Kermit.

12. sesamemuppetfan

I guess in order to find the answers to those questions, we'll have to keep searching our local thrift stores, video stores, etc. and find this video (as well as the other 9)...Or pay KermiClown $10 for a personal DVD copy.

13. minor muppetz

Or hope that somebody here that has a copy can answer (and I did get an answer to somebody who had seen it), or that somebody with the tape will put it on YouTube or DailyMotion.

Or hope that Disney will rerelease them (but if they won;t release seasons 4 and 5 of TMS, many of the specials, or even Muppet productions that don't require any legal clearances, then we might still have a long wait).

14. Stulz

Stulz Active Member

I have a copy that I copied to DVD. If it still works, I'll let you know.
    I do believe the scenery does get painted but it happens off screen after the video.

15. sesamemuppetfan

Thread bump once again.

@minor muppetz as we discussed last year, it's quite possible that later printings of the videos had longer promos. I just found a closing to "Children's Songs and Stories" that got uploaded to YouTube on New Years Eve, and sure enough 10 videos are highlighted here...

LStein and minor muppetz like this.
  16. minor muppetz

It's so great that the 10-videos promo is finally on YouTube.

I may have said this before, but it's strange how in the longest version, a few of the clips that appear before and after all the video sections are replaced with other clips, and yet all of the replacement clips are from The Muppet Revue. If they're going to replace clips from those parts at all, why not include clips from some of the videos that came after the first four releases? And it's really not very many clips that get replaced, either.

17. minor muppetz

I wonder how many people actually have all 10 videos, considering that only a few are online, and it's usually one uploader per video (there was one user who uploaded both Children's Songs and Stories and Country Music with the Muppets). I know I've seen some people say they have or had all ten, and I suspect some people here and on Tough Pigs have all of them.

18. sesamemuppetfan

Thread bump.

Someone is selling their copy of Muppet Weird Stuff and The Kermit and Piggy Story on eBay. Obviously, I doubt that no one will want to pay $39.95 + an additional $5.22 shipping for them, but at least we get to see the little fun facts that are shown in the inside front covers.

[​IMG]

minor muppetz likes this.
  19. minor muppetz

I remembered that the fact inside Muppet Weird Stuff was about Camilla, but all these years I thought it was about both Gonzo and Camilla.

20. sesamemuppetfan

I'm mighty surprised that it's a fact about Camilla- I was expecting it to be about Gonzo, but whatever.

Until I got an eBay account 2 years ago and saw several of the Playhouse Videos being sold on there, I wasn't even aware of those facts on the inside front cover. As I've mentioned on here before, when I was in 1st grade, I borrowed Muppet Weird Stuff, The Muppet Revue, and The Kermit and Piggy Story (separately) from Tower Video (anybody remember that place?). Because the front and back covers were slipped into a clam shell video case (like Blockbusters, Hollywood Video, Tower Video, and any other video renting store would do), I obviously didn't know about the little facts that were included in them. Surprise, surprise!