1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

3. "Muppet Guys Talking" Debuts On-line
    Watch the inspiring documentary "Muppet Guys Talking", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppet release of the year.

4. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Political correctness has gone WAY TO FAR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlakeConor14, Dec 26, 2017.

1. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

Well yeah social media tends to serve that function for people who want to find their crowd and can't find it on hand in real life.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  2. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I'm not bothered by all of this.

jvcarroll likes this.
  3. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

My but time flies.

4. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Your probably in America I'm in England

5. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

That explains it. Just goes to show there are different forms of truth on some things.

6. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I'm far from perfect, as we've noted, and I've messed up a lot in my life with people. That's how I know that it's easy to tell people to shut up about about a problem doesn't impact me personally. I don't really do that anymore. We've lost much reason and compassion as a culture. That said. There are plenty of trans and non-gender-conforming people who are jerks just like any other person because they are people just like the rest of us.

One difference is, they're commonly treated much poorly than you and I and then, on top of that, are told to shut up about it. That's not okay. It's also not okay when a trans or non-gender-conforming person is innocently misgendered by someone who doesn't know and they immediately snap and shame somebody for it. It's a two way street. Coming out as a gay teen was not easy. I had many friends with much worse lives than I had that were made soooo much worse by reacting negatively to everyone. They wore their heart on their sleeve and created friction with every misunderstanding. That only served to make their lives worse.

Right here, on Muppet Central, I've had heated discussions with people for nearly two decades now. Some of these people had never met a real life gay person and talked with them. While their religion and politics haven't really changed, their outlook on LGBT people has and I count these people among my very best friends that I've had for years. These message board and internet friends turned into real life friends I see in person, we've sent each other lucrative clients and exchange holiday cards with all of them every year. None of that would have happened if I'd just let them say what they were going to say without talking with them about it, nor they with me.

In the end, the difference between gender and sex isn't just important to these people - it's fundamentally self defining. Imagine if half the world wanted to call you by a different name than the one you had or referring to you as HE when you're a SHE and told you to stop complaining about it. It would feel pretty crummy. That's what it's about. It's not special treatment. It's basic humanity and empathy.

I'm just kind of kind of bewildered by that statement. Not upset. The thing I encourage all of you to do, and I'll take the challenge too, is to try to connect with a trans person (or some type of person you've never quite understood) and talk with them. Some will be kind. Some will not. Some just won't care. That's because "peoples is peoples", but continually taking that effort it what enriches our journey and nothing is more Muppety than that.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    muppetgem likes this.
  7. jvcarroll

THIS! One billion times this!

8. jvcarroll

I'm going to be bold and just ask this - even if there were a million terms, how does this impact your life personally? So many people claim not to like labels, but everybody wants to be understood. Using self-defining words are a way to do that. As for the rest of it - it all comes down to pronouns. He, She, or They. With all of the hundreds of names of Muppets we can all remember, how is it that hard to use the pronoun a person prefers when speaking to them or about them? There will come a time when the argument against using preferred pronouns will look just as silly as the argument against women wearing pants. It's about empathy and connection to other people. While we are all unique, we're not really snowflakes. Underneath it all, we are all basically the same. Navigating the initial differences we have with other people, the pettiness, is the way to get to that underlying sameness. That should always be the goal for humanity.

Censored likes this.
  9. jvcarroll

Eugh. Making it through this slog was tough. I had to catch up because I only have a little bit of time between my 2.5 jobs, my holiday plans and my friends that would like to see my face. What the hey with this discussion? This is really all I have to say:

If you think that being gender-non-conforming is like being a toaster or that being transgender is like being an amputee: Put down the remote, close your laptop and go outside to actually meet some of these real life people in the real world that y'all are assessing from afar. MEET SEVERAL before you come up with so many opinions and theories. I don't usually say something about any type of person until I've met enough of them and even then, I will try to avoid stereotypes. Nobody's perfect, and I'm example A, but we can all be better. The only way to truly start connecting and understanding anyone, be they a trans person or Trump voter, is to friggin' meet them and to talk with them and to try to listen more than we talk. That's not an easy thing to do. That's why I know it's really right answer here - no matter what subject we're talking about.

I gotta kind of take a shower after some of this and then I'll go back to work. Just gah! I am grateful, however, that there's at least talk that's happening. That's encouraging. Friction breeds progress. It's just been a while since I've read so many odd and inflammatory things and I talk to staunch republicans on a daily basis. Eeep! Peace all!

Censored, LittleJerry92 and Oscarfan like this.
  10. CensoredAlso

You know what's an awesome movie, You Can't Stop the Music, starring the Village People. That's what my avatar is from, in case anyone didn't know. It co starred Bruce Jenner, later Caitlyn Jenner. Randy Jones (the VP cowboy) was asked about working with him and about his announcement of being trans.

jvcarroll likes this.
  11. MikaelaMuppet

I figured that because the guy in your avatar is one of The Village People.

CensoredAlso likes this.
  12. CensoredAlso

I'm such a geek, lol, one time I actually spent a day in the Village just to find some of the film locations. It's always cool to see how NYC has changed over the years.

LittleJerry92 and jvcarroll like this.
  13. MikaelaMuppet

I’m a geek for anything old.

CensoredAlso and jvcarroll like this.