Political Parties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Tommie, that wouldn't happen.

Again, I say, hop back in time to only a year ago and go live in Iraq; support your usual beliefs while there--the same freedoms you share in The Netherlands or that PunkNPuppets has in the states--and you will find that you won't even be alive right now to post here at MC.

Not because Bush shut down the Saddam Regime, but because Saddam would not have allowed you to believe as you do.

You would have to follow exactly by Saddam's beliefs, or he would have had you killed.

Still, I see people forget how many people were dying under the Saddam regime, and in his own country at his own hands or that of his leaders.

And forget that the US was, and is, sending water and food over to Iraq the whole time to his people who still cursed the USA while eating our food and drinking our water--that is if it got past Saddam.

Oh, and that was part of MY tax dollars doing that.

Thijs

Reaction score
Kev,

I just meant to say that it's weird to be 'pro-america'. Doesn't it depend on who is president and what decisions the government makes?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Okay, then. That's different than how I read that at first.

Kinda.

Even when Clinton was in office, lots of what he did I agreed with, while at the same time there were lots of things I didn't agree with.

Same now, Bush will do some things I don't agree with; currently, I agree with the decision to oust the Saddam regime. Soon, I'm sure he'll do something I don't think is so kosher that someone else will think is wonderful (ie, taxes on something stupid).

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Tommy

America transcends the presidency. I'm not sure how much you know about the US government, but the President is an elected official (voted by citizens through the Electoral College) who needs support from the House and the Senate to make decisions. That's our system of checks and balances. There are problems with any system (including this one), but I still feel America's system allows the greatest amount of personal freedom. I'm not getting on either side of the issue, but felt the need to explain the basics. Those are some of the major differences between a democracy and an autocracy. Our President can’t simply do something because he wants to. He has to have enough support from both parties. That's what makes the system work; it also can make decisions time-consuming. :smile: :attitude:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Re: Tommy

Originally posted by frogboy4
Those are some of the major differences between a democracy and an autocracy.
And autocracy is what you get when you put a Cadillac in office!

HAA!!

Oh, I'm so FUNN-EE!!

What?:embarrassed:
---------------
Oh, yeah. I had an American History teacher who showed me a photo of some Congressman standing before the whole House of Congress and he was reading to them:

A Sears Catalog!

No joke.

And he was getting paid for that, as were they.

Thijs

Reaction score
Re: Tommy

America transcends the presidency. I'm not sure how much you know about the US government, but the President is an elected official (voted by citizens through the Electoral College) who needs support from the House and the Senate to make decisions. That's our system of checks and balances. There are problems with any system (including this one), but I still feel America's system allows the greatest amount of personal freedom. I'm not getting on either side of the issue, but felt the need to explain the basics. Those are some of the major differences between a democracy and an autocracy. Our President can’t simply do something because he wants to. He has to have enough support from both parties. That's what makes the system work; it also can make decisions time-consuming. :smile: :attitude:
come on Jamie, I'm not THAT stupid. I am just saying that it's weird to be pro-America. That is not a political position. You can say that you were pro-America in the Gulf-War II, but not that you are always pro-America

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Patriotism doesn't mean you always agree with the government's decisions. :wink: Those are two different issues. You can be pro-America at anytime and still disagree with certain policies. That's actually what our country is all about.:excited:

Thijs

Reaction score
Patriotism doesn't mean you always agree with the government's decisions. :wink: Those are two different issues. You can be pro-America at anytime and still disagree with certain policies. That's actually what our country is all about.:excited:
That means Kevin just loves his country. But that has nothing to do with politics.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Re: Re: Tommy

Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
Oh, yeah. I had an American History teacher who showed me a photo of some Congressman standing before the whole House of Congress and he was reading to them:

A Sears Catalog!

No joke.

And he was getting paid for that, as were they.
That would have been a filibuster in progress. (For those of you who don't know, a filibuster is the use of obstructionist tactics, especially prolonged speechmaking, for the purpose of delaying legislative action or an instance of the use of this delaying tactic.) I believe there are laws now to restrict the length of them now, but they used to be able to go on for days!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Tommy

It just means that Kev's looking at the bigger picture. The overall statement of America. It's still political, but not a blanket green light on every decision that this country makes. It's not all or nothing/black or white. Life in this country is much more colorful than that and celebrates different points of view. We are one of the biggest melting pots in the world, if not the biggest. There is no way that this country could be summed up in one political view. Being pro-America is political in a worldview sort of sense, but it doesn’t require a person to agree with every decision. Actually, to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.