Port Stoppage

beaker

Reaction score
Oddly enough this still isnt front page...but Im telling you, if it keeps up any longer it will be soon. What do you think affects Americans more...Bush personal war with Iraq, or the stoppage of nearly 50% of all goods we buy and sell?

gringo

Reaction score
It is front page here in Seattle, but that could be due to Seattle being of the largest ports in the world. We have no clue what the impact is gonna be yet. Seattle is #1 in unemployment in the US, this is not helping matters.

Mark

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
I wonder if this will effect Canada...You guys could just start sending stuff to BC instead :smile:

towels

Reaction score
Actually, from what I've heard, Vancouver is already running at capacity.
It's front page news here in Portland too...

beaker

Reaction score
From the electronic shop people Ive talked to, and other shops that depend 100% on those west coast ports...the real impact could start being felt next week sometime. Already car manufacturer places are having to shut down. I really hope the higer ups who organized this terrorism-like atomic bomb to the economy know how many untold people this will hurt.

The front page headlines still seem to be Bush's little one man plan to go to war with Iraq, the hurrican season, overpaid steroid ball playoffs, and Martha Stweart's naughty financial indescretions. Nope, on msnbc.com at leats no mention of the port stoppage.

JohnFranklin

Reaction score
I know I started this whole thread.....but....is "port stoppage" even correct?

Heh.

jf

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
From the electronic shop people Ive talked to, and other shops that depend 100% on those west coast ports...the real impact could start being felt next week sometime. Already car manufacturer places are having to shut down. I really hope the higer ups who organized this terrorism-like atomic bomb to the economy know how many untold people this will hurt.
First off, those surly teamsters don't care whose feet they darn step on!

Secondly, Bush is thinking (if that's the verb) to himself, Should Ah go an' save the economy like Ah said Ah would, o' should I git back to muh daddy's deep seated rivalry with Saddam? Ah! Whatever, as long as we cain bring in that there U-sama Ben Layden!

Man are we boned.

But once again, the Baseball strike. Once they heard that, the corporations were all like, WE must go out and shove more undeserved money to ward off not showing a bunch of already overpaid atheletes pre-empty the new season of The Simpsons. Now they feel that warding off a bunch of greedy teamsters who will single handedly cause a really bad economic downfall isn't as important as stopping some guy who wants revenge on us for not letting him take over the world. Boy...everyone in power is such a baby!

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah, Bush is pretty preoccupied with his "Desert Storm 2! Coming soon to a tv screen near you" campaign...but hopefully he'll step in and put a 80 day mandatory back to work resolution in place. Otherwise, oh man...christmas this year could look pretty bare.

On the plus side, if there is one:
(from www.msnbc.com)

>>>Tobacco giant Philip Morris could see some of its robust Asian sales go up in smoke, according to Prudential Securities analyst Rob Campagnino. The company has about a two-week supply of cigarettes in Japan, which accounts for about 20 percent of the company’s overseas profits of nearly $6 billion. <<<

It is my utmost sincere hope that Phillip Morris and all other big tobacco go the way of Enron...regardless of its impact on the economy or 'people's lifestyle'.

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
actually, even as a smoker (not too heavy, but half a pack a day) I'd like to see cigarette companies go the way of the dodo...****, I'd quit if I couldn't buy the things...as it is, my willpower doesn' thol dout (this is what happens when you start smoking at 15! watch out kids! it sucks!!!). Well, I'm gonna try to quit again starting in November, with support from my girlfriend, so if I seem to be in a mood at that time, you'll know why...

Anyway, yeah, tobacco companies suck, but they'll never die, because they pump SOOO much money into the government coffers....

Walker Boh

Reaction score
Good luck!!
Hopefully you'll have two waves of Muppets to keep your spirits up by then. :smile: