puppet material list?

video567

Reaction score
hi i was wondering if we could start a thread with materials and supplies to make puppets?

I'm ordering the foam book in a few days, but i know there is nothing worst than having information then having to run to the store to buy what you need to get started...

like sizes of foam sheets, contact cememnt glue gun felt, antron fleece pinpong ballls etc? maybe have a running thread where people can post whatthey use and make it easier for new people.

does this sound like a good idea?

BorkBork

Reaction score
Be sure to have a good amount of foam. it's always good to have some at home when you get the urge to experiment.

Gluegun is essential, but don't burn yourself on it. You need the kind that gets really hot. But i wouldn't recommend assembling foam with it, for that use Contact cement. A good cement is tanners bond. Apply a little cement (only very little) on each of the pieces that is going together. Apply some heat on the glur with hair-dryer for about a minute, and asseble...poff, sticks like it was one piece, not 2 :smile:
Gluegun is good for glueing the fleece on certain places, like inside the mouth.

Feathers of all kinds are always fun to play with. Especially ostrich feathers, because of the great animation of it. Look at animal, his hair is ostrichfeathers. I guess you can get different colors online, search
google for it, and i think you should be able to find some.

I always keep red, pink, and black felt at my home for inside of the mouth. Red for gums, black for tonsills/throatopening and pink for the tounge.

Try to find gasketrubber in sheets. They may be expensive but is essential for mouth-flaps. I have never used it, but am looking forward to the day i can afford it :smile:

Antron fleece. It's tha bomb, never use polarfleece if you can get ahold of antron. Ordinary fleece is for emergency things only. Also get some RIT dye to add color to antron, since it only comes in white.

Kids/baby's clothes for your puppet.

Flyffy fake fur in different colors is also alot of fun. Remember my beaker? It's the same fur for his hair as i am talking about here.

I can't really think of anything else right now, since it's 4 in the morning here, and i have been working sice 11 in the morning yesterday...
Hope your'e happy with my list :smile:

/Anders

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'd begun a puppetry resources thread a while back you might look for; also in the "links" of MC there are some great links.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'd begun a puppetry resources thread a while back you might look for; also in the "links" of MC there are some great links.

puppets_etc

Reaction score
Around Halloween, usually right after, I like to go the the stores and pick up wigs and accessories. I also keep alot of yarn on hand for hair.

Most of the eyes I use are the wiggle eyes:rolleyes:and my absolute favorite store to shop at is JoAnn Fabrics. And Michaels. You can also go to thrift stores and find all kinds of goodies.

I just recently bought the foam book and I find myself going through it constantly. Haven't had any time to do anything yet, but the summer semester is just around the corner! :excited:

One tip, if you don't have time to hold your foam together while the glue dries (I know it's not long!) keep some clothes pins handy. I never have time to sit for more than a few seconds (I have 3 girls between the ages of 10 & 13), so this really helps.

Hope you can use some of this.

Deb:flirt:

BorkBork

Reaction score
Deb, if you use Tanners Bond or similar glue it sticks immediately. It's really great :excited:

puppets_etc

Reaction score
Originally posted by video567
hi i was wondering if we could start a thread with materials and supplies to make puppets?

I'm ordering the foam book in a few days, but i know there is nothing worst than having information then having to run to the store to buy what you need to get started...

like sizes of foam sheets, contact cememnt glue gun felt, antron fleece pinpong ballls etc? maybe have a running thread where people can post whatthey use and make it easier for new people.

does this sound like a good idea?
Just out of curiosity, where did you get your avatar? I used to watch that show when I was living in Puerto Rico, and sometimes here when I have time (well, not here HERE, but you know what I mean)

puppets_etc

Reaction score
Originally posted by BorkBork
Deb, if you use Tanners Bond or similar glue it sticks immediately. It's really great :excited:
I usually use contact cement. Where's the best place to find the Tanners Bond? I have an art project due in a few weeks and I'll be making a puppet then, so it will come in handy. How well does it work with spray paint? I guess what I mean is, does it cover well?:confused:

BorkBork

Reaction score
Tanners will hardly show. You really don't need alot of it. So paint will cover most of it.

I guess you can find it online. search google for "tanners bond contact cement"

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Ha! This is the 2000th reply to the Puppetry section! : )

--"Scary" Larry Wolf