Question about authentic Muppet Props

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Yikes! That Fozzie is freaky! Was that a prototype that was never screen used? Fozzie never had a nose with nostrils, at least that I ever recall.

:stick_out_tongue:

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hey Was Once Ernie,

Apparently this was one of three screen used Fozzie puppets from the first season of The Muppet Show. The nose does not have nostrils, lol, it is holes where the felt has worn away.

It was a great experience meeting him, my first face to face meeting with a real Muppet...............................the other came a few months later, see my avatar piccy!

Im trying to research what happened to Fozzie after the Bear Museum closed, so far it appears that most the Bears went to a new exhibit at 240 Broadway, Wimbledon, London, I have emailed the company to ask if Fozzie is still with them, as its a Bank Holiday here in UK I will have to wait a while for a reply, but I will be sure to let people know as and when I get a reply.

Here is another posed studio type pic of the same Fozzie, this was sold as a Postcard at the exhibit.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/KERMIE1/DSC00030.jpg

Chris

muppetperson

Reaction score
the Brandreths are keeping him as they werent allowed to sell him under the deed of gift clause between them and jim henson.It will be displayed at Polka theatre, who bought the bulk of the Teddy Bears from the teddy bear museum where fozzie once "lived".As a noting interest, fozzie has no human arm sleeves, so they could of been removed as hensons didnt like there Muppets looking like puppets on display, but i also noticed that Fozzie raises his arms in the season 1 openings of The muppet show, so he also could of been made for that, but he was well used when given to the museum which suggests the sleeves were cut off.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Here is the email reply I had,

Hi Chris

Yes we do have Fozzie bear (That was on display at the Teddy Bear Museum Stratford and in The Muppets). The theatre is now shut for the summer and reopening in October. During October and early November Fozzie will not be on display but from 14th November Tuesday – Saturday 10-4.30 he will be on display and free to see – so do pop down to the theatre and see him and the collection

With best wishes

Marina

Its great to hear that Fozzie is still going to be available for people to see, so anyone in London after 14th Nov, get down and see him.

Chris

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I don't mean to get nitpicky, and I'm not doubting that he's a real Fozzie, but even taking into account that the foam in his nose seems to have disintegrated, he doesn't look like a first season Fozzie to me. First season Fozzie had those big fabric folds at the corners of his mouth, which this one clearly does not. This one looks more like the color of first season Fozzie, but not the correct mouth.

:stick_out_tongue:

muppetinsider

Reaction score
This Fozzie from the Bear Museum was indeed used only for the opening, and rare occasions where he would have to be rod controlled for some reason, usually depending on the particular shot.
The inside of the nose itself is foam, so as we know what happens to foam after 20 years is it starts to crumble, especially when it's such a small piece like a nose filling.
I tell ya, I would have been tempted to replace that nose or at least refill it, even with poly-fill!

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi WOE,

I agree his mouth does look odd, but it has also kinda collapsed, with a hand in it it would have a better shape, his face was kinda flat looking!

Chris