Question about the smoking in Pinocchio

Rowlf The Poet

Reaction score
It works within the context of the story. When Pinocchio smokes it's congruous with him ignoring his conscience and falling under the spell of temptation and immorality.

As for Geppeto smoking his pipe, well, times have indeed changed; the values that lie behind this film, however, have not. So I guess the point is whether parents will think this detail will be important enough to discuss with their kids.

A better one may be whether they will be watching it with them at all. :sympathy:

brian

Reaction score
Did you know that Disney cast members point with 2 fingers (or a full open palm) This because, so they say, it will not offend anyone. However, if one were to hold a cigarette, and point, they would be pointing with 2 fingers. During training at Disney, they show a video of Walt holding a cigarette and pointing at something.

SO, Disney cast members point with 2 fingers because Walt was a heavy chain smoker (according to my calculations) (walt had 8 ashtrays in his office) (i, sadly, was a cast member(

BEAR

Reaction score
brian said:
Did you know that Disney cast members point with 2 fingers (or a full open palm) This because, so they say, it will not offend anyone. However, if one were to hold a cigarette, and point, they would be pointing with 2 fingers. During training at Disney, they show a video of Walt holding a cigarette and pointing at something.

SO, Disney cast members point with 2 fingers because Walt was a heavy chain smoker (according to my calculations) (walt had 8 ashtrays in his office) (i, sadly, was a cast member(

was that comment necessary?

brian

Reaction score
sorry if my comment was offensive. I just thought the added "did you know" discussion might be found interesting

I never intended to harm/offend

BEAR

Reaction score
brian said:
sorry if my comment was offensive. I just thought the added "did you know" discussion might be found interesting

I never intended to harm/offend

Its cool

salemfan

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Because there were always things that were considered appropriate for adults, but not children. Even coffee drinking by children has been frowned upon.
You mean, it was like today, little girls wearing nail polish can be frowned upon, while it is appropriate for adult women? Or that some movies are appropriate for adults to watch, but not children.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
teenintosesame said:
You mean, it was like today, little girls wearing nail polish can be frowned upon, while it is appropriate for adult women? Or that some movies are appropriate for adults to watch, but not children.
Yeah, I think that's what is trying to be said there.

What are you asking? If I may ask. Are you wondering why it is ok for adults to do certain things, but not children? Cause I don't think it's hard to see why that's the case.

Also, just for the sake of arguement, I don't think anyone minds a little girl wearing nail polish, I know I won't if I had a little girl. However, I don't think it's right for a little girl to wear lipstick and eye shadow. Well at least not out in public, in home playing house or whatever, that's fine. At least that's what I would say.

salemfan

Reaction score
JJandJanice said:
Yeah, I think that's what is trying to be said there.

What are you asking? If I may ask. Are you wondering why it is ok for adults to do certain things, but not children? Cause I don't think it's hard to see why that's the case.

Also, just for the sake of arguement, I don't think anyone minds a little girl wearing nail polish, I know I won't if I had a little girl. However, I don't think it's right for a little girl to wear lipstick and eye shadow. Well at least not out in public, in home playing house or whatever, that's fine. At least that's what I would say.
Well, I'm saying, before they knew smoking was bad, was it just something appropriate for adults, not children, on the idea of the two examples I gave?