Quick Question Regarding Elmo on Sesame Products

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know, I've been talking about Elmo being in the front of Sesame products (books, DVDs, et cetera) because if he's not, then they won't sell... but the thing of it is, I've only HEARD that, and I don't know if it's true or not... but it does seem obvious...

So IS this true? DOES Elmo have to be on all Sesame products like that so they'll sell?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't know if it's a fact either. It just seems that that's what the company feels.

But you know, if your kid doesn't like Elmo, they will just go on to other kids shows. There's not much choice.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, like I said, it does seem obvious though, I mean look at that DVD A Sesame Street Christmas Carol - the story was a take on the original A Christmas Carol with Oscar being the Scrooge, and three new characters being the ghosts, and the live-hand lavendar AM as a Marley character. The only time Elmo appeared in the story was a couple of flashbacks, and yet, Elmo's on the cover of the DVD.

Odd.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, well as I've always said, I think it's never a good idea to paint yourself into a corner like that.

And again, I liked Elmo in the '80s, lol. It's not the character that changed, it's the whole show. :smile:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Well, it's true. Elmo is featured on all of Sesame Street's merchandise, even if he has nothing to do with the particular item( dvd's for that matter).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, it's true. Elmo is featured on all of Sesame Street's merchandise, even if he has nothing to do with the particular item( dvd's for that matter).
Elmo didn't appear on the covers for the DVD releases of Big Bird in China, Big Bird in Japan, Learning About Letters, Learning About Numbers, Sing Yourself Sillier, Count it Higher, or Old School Volume 1, though on some of those he appears in a small photo on the back, in a small section that promotes Sesame Street (I don't know how to describe this, but it's been on recent DVD boxes). That and the Sesame Workshop promos seen at the beginning of recent Sesame Street DVDs are the only places on Old School Volume 1 where Elmo can be seen (the booklet, especially the activity section, features quite a few characters who were introduced after the fifth season, including Olivia and Barkley).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Elmo also appears on the cover of All-Star Alphabet, and that video only features Muppets in the segments featured, and not in the linking plot (for some reason). Then again, it's good that that video had any Muppet on the cover.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Those DVDs that don't have Elmo on the cover are generally the ones where he doesn't appear in the story, or at least not in a big way. In most other cases, it has to be Elmo, even if there are other characters in the story.

I was very happy to see the DVD cover for Play Along Games and Songs, which had Big Bird and Forgetful Jones on the front cover. (Even though Elmo plays a big part in the story). :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Haha! Yeah yeah, I held out for the longest time, I don't like to follow every single Internet trend, hehe. But I figured, why not?