1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jacobsnchz, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Nick22 Active Member

i hate reading, but right now in school im reading roll of thunder, hear my cry. its actually pretty good
  2. bazooka_beak Active Member

I recently read the Felicity (from American Girl) mysteries. Don't laugh: I loved her as a kid and got these out of curiosity. They were pretty good; very light/quick read, though, didn't take me more than maybe an hour to get through them.
  3. Muppet Newsgirl Active Member

Let's see...among others, I'm working on "The Telling," by Ursula Le Guin. I really love what I've read of it so far. Also finished up "Time's Eye" a while back.

I checked out "The Samurai's Garden" by Gail Tsukiyama from my university library a few years ago. I loved the book, but I forgot the title and author for a while, so I couldn't find it. Then, this afternoon I spotted it on the shelf in the library here, and when I opened it I discovered that it was the book I was looking for.
  4. Ilikemuppets New Member

I really want to get my hands on the book "Nickelodeon Nation: The History, Politics, and Economics of America's Only TV Channel for Kids."
  5. Libba Yuki Member

Nothing to laugh about, I myself recently got my hands on some of my favorite "Dear America" books and have re-read them. They hold up pretty well, and are still enjoyable (yet quick) reads.

I've also been reading the "The Southern Vampire Mysteries (aka The Sookie Stackhouse Series)". I've read the first 5 books, and am eagerly waiting to read the next ones as soon as my coworker gets her hands on them (she gets paperbacks).

I've read the first two Twilight books, and found them to be both unintentionally funny and mindnumbingly dull at the same time...I will never understand the appeal of those books, or how a character as selfish and boring as Bella could possibly be so popular with the boys in her town.

I'm currently reading "The Meaning of Night", and am enjoying it so far.
  6. bazooka_beak Active Member

Funny part is my MOM bought those books for me when she was in Chicago at the American Girl store, so I guess it's not all THAT weird that an almost 30 year old would be reading them :p But the dolls were pretty popular even when I was a preteen, so...

Don't even get me started on Twilight. I borrowed them from my 12-year-old cousin and I'm glad I didn't spend any money on them.
  7. Muppet Newsgirl Active Member

No offense to the Twilight fans around here, but I don't see any appeal in those books at all. Bella, from the looks of things, is way too much of a clinging vine.
  8. Nick22 Active Member

my friends dragged me to see the twilight movie, and i hate bella. a lot. the only good character in that book is alice
  9. Pork Active Member

Just finished reading Anne Frank - The Diary of a young girl.

I'm planning to read Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens, but I can't find it in any bookshops. weird.
  10. Gelfling Girl Active Member

I just started reading a book called The Lonely Hearts Club that was just published a week or so ago. Pretty good so far.

Also, last year I read The Egypt Game, and while I was at the bookstore last Sunday, I picked up a copy of the sequel, The Gypsy Game.
  11. Yorick Active Member

The Wind In The Willows! :)
  12. The 11th UrRu Member

About to read The Catcher in the Rye for the first time since high school, Im looking forward to it...

Anyone read "The Gathering Storm" yet? The 12th book of the Wheel of Time is up after JD Salingers classic...
  13. Gelfling Girl Active Member

Watership Down was pretty cool...and weird...and now I'll never look at a rabbit the same way again...

Ooh...Also, last night I started reading a book called Nightlight, which is a Twilight parody by The Harvard Lampoon. It's hilarious!
  14. APRena New Member

Romeo and Juliet, which being a book for English and "classic" literature *should* be cliche and a pain to annotate etc, is actually freaking awesome. (poetic pre-Twilight, minus vampires and plus epic swordfights. :D) And Lamb somethingorothersuperlongtitlebiblicalallegorything by Christopher Moore.
  15. beatnikchick300 Active Member

I'm about to begin rereading On the Road. This book holds a special place in my heart, because I wrote my 11th grade term paper on the literary theme of rebellion about it and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and my term paper got and A-.
  16. Gelfling Girl Active Member

Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson (Or at least, I think that's the author)

It's about a group of kids who have adventures in Disney World in the form of holograms at night when everything comes to life. I just got the third one that came out last month, and according to Wikipedia, there's going to be (at least) ten books in the series.

And also, on a related note:
    The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World by Susan Veness

Nonfiction, but pretty interesting. It tells about hidden secrets in the different parts of the park and even gives some history on some attractions. It even provides a section on MV3D. :)
  17. Nick22 Active Member

we hadda read The Outsiders S.E. Hinton for school. and i LOVED it. best book ive ever read. i dont read a lot though, so i guess my judgment is a bit biased.
  18. GOONZOTHECRUDE New Member

I Sniper by Stephen Hunter, The Last Ivory Hunter by Peter Capstick, and In Kentucky With Daniel Boone by John T McIntyre.
  19. Muppet Newsgirl Active Member

Last night, I finished "Seven Years in Tibet," by Heinrich Harrer. Beautiful book - I definitely recommend it.

Today, I started on "Night Train to Lisbon," by Pascal Mercier.
  20. Gelfling Girl Active Member

The Warriors series by Erin Hunter. I got the first book from the school library during the first semester last year and I just started the second book soon after the beginning of summer vacation.