Read any good books lately?

Nick22

Reaction score
i hate reading, but right now in school im reading roll of thunder, hear my cry. its actually pretty good

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I recently read the Felicity (from American Girl) mysteries. Don't laugh: I loved her as a kid and got these out of curiosity. They were pretty good; very light/quick read, though, didn't take me more than maybe an hour to get through them.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Let's see...among others, I'm working on "The Telling," by Ursula Le Guin. I really love what I've read of it so far. Also finished up "Time's Eye" a while back.

I checked out "The Samurai's Garden" by Gail Tsukiyama from my university library a few years ago. I loved the book, but I forgot the title and author for a while, so I couldn't find it. Then, this afternoon I spotted it on the shelf in the library here, and when I opened it I discovered that it was the book I was looking for.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I really want to get my hands on the book "Nickelodeon Nation: The History, Politics, and Economics of America's Only TV Channel for Kids."

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
I recently read the Felicity (from American Girl) mysteries. Don't laugh: I loved her as a kid and got these out of curiosity. They were pretty good; very light/quick read, though, didn't take me more than maybe an hour to get through them.
Nothing to laugh about, I myself recently got my hands on some of my favorite "Dear America" books and have re-read them. They hold up pretty well, and are still enjoyable (yet quick) reads.

I've also been reading the "The Southern Vampire Mysteries (aka The Sookie Stackhouse Series)". I've read the first 5 books, and am eagerly waiting to read the next ones as soon as my coworker gets her hands on them (she gets paperbacks).

I've read the first two Twilight books, and found them to be both unintentionally funny and mindnumbingly dull at the same time...I will never understand the appeal of those books, or how a character as selfish and boring as Bella could possibly be so popular with the boys in her town.

I'm currently reading "The Meaning of Night", and am enjoying it so far.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Nothing to laugh about, I myself recently got my hands on some of my favorite "Dear America" books and have re-read them. They hold up pretty well, and are still enjoyable (yet quick) reads.

I've read the first two Twilight books, and found them to be both unintentionally funny and mindnumbingly dull at the same time...I will never understand the appeal of those books, or how a character as selfish and boring as Bella could possibly be so popular with the boys in her town.
Funny part is my MOM bought those books for me when she was in Chicago at the American Girl store, so I guess it's not all THAT weird that an almost 30 year old would be reading them :stick_out_tongue: But the dolls were pretty popular even when I was a preteen, so...

Don't even get me started on Twilight. I borrowed them from my 12-year-old cousin and I'm glad I didn't spend any money on them.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
No offense to the Twilight fans around here, but I don't see any appeal in those books at all. Bella, from the looks of things, is way too much of a clinging vine.

Nick22

Reaction score
my friends dragged me to see the twilight movie, and i hate bella. a lot. the only good character in that book is alice

Pork

Reaction score
Just finished reading Anne Frank - The Diary of a young girl.

I'm planning to read Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens, but I can't find it in any bookshops. weird.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
I just started reading a book called The Lonely Hearts Club that was just published a week or so ago. Pretty good so far.

Also, last year I read The Egypt Game, and while I was at the bookstore last Sunday, I picked up a copy of the sequel, The Gypsy Game.