Read any good books lately?

Beauregard

Reaction score
The novel spoofs a lot of true-crime books, particularly Patricia Cornwell's recent book, in which she claims to have uncovered the real identity of Jack the Ripper (Cornwell claims artist Walter Sickert was responsible, because some of his artwork resembled the Ripper's violence).
Ooh, I havn't read Patricia's Jack the Ripper story, although I have read most of her fiction books. Have you read those? I finished one just a few days ago.

Pork

Reaction score
~ I agree with you, Pork. There is a certain lyrical sense in the words he weaves. I love 'GREAT EXPECTATIONS' & 'A TAIL OF TWO CITIES'. I've read them and keep re-reading them & always will.
I recently bought 'A TALE OF TWO CITIES' and that is next inline with plenty of other books.

lael

Reaction score
I recently bought 'A TALE OF TWO CITIES' and that is next inline with plenty of other books.
~ My father bought me 'A TAIL OF TWO CITIES' when I was about 8, because I liked the picture on the cover. He was hesitant because he thought I was to young for such a book, but gave in, which he usually does with me. I love my Daddy. & no matter how old he or I get I will always call him my Daddy because he will always be my Daddy. I digress. I've had that book for about 2 decades now. It's tattered, torn & starting to fall apart. sad. I'll never throw it out tho. I shold look into having it rebound. hmmm. dunno yet.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I've not actually read anything by Lovecraft, but I do have a book called "Shadows Over Baker Street." It's a collection of recently written Sherlock Holmes stories that take place in situations inspired by Lovecraft's work.
I attended a discussion on the Holmes stories earlier in the semester, and one of the other students attending recommended the book to me. It's very good...but very creepy.

And yes, I've heard about Cornwell's book on Jack the Ripper, but not read it. It sounds a little trumped-up to me.

Read "The Bell Jar" last year as part of my research for a paper on Sylvia Plath's work. Those were some very creepy issues Plath was dealing with...

anytimepally

Reaction score
I'm currently in the midst of Jules Verne's The Kip Brothers, which just got its first English translation last month

Kiki

Reaction score
The last book I read was Chinese Cinderella *gags*. It was fer english. It's about a Chinese girl who was disliked by her family because they think she's bad luck. The book just didn't work fer me at all, it was far too depressing. :stick_out_tongue:

Now I'm reading this book called Guitar Highway Rose. It's not bad actually.

christyb

Reaction score
Let's see....The Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini is decent (Eragon and the like)...then again I'm pushing that because well I'm writing a fan written third book. As far as others, I haven't read anything in forever so I'll just recommend Le Morte D'Arthur.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I just finished reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles for English next year... God, what a depressing story.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I recently finished reading Kevin Clash's book My Life As a Furry Red Monster. For some reason, it made me appreciate Elmo a little more.:embarrassed:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I just started on "The Eyre Affair," by Jasper Fforde. I'm only a few pages in, but it's a sci-fi mystery with a literary flavor, and it seems rather funny. I'll get back to you once I'm farther along.