Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

Muppet Master

Reaction score
"Not that there's anything wrong with that" was the joke... it's a joke about two guys trying to "defend" themselves against being called gay, while also saying there is nothing wrong with being gay. That's the funny part. If it was just them claiming not to be gay, it wouldn't have been funny. It had nothing to do with Jerry trying not to offend people.

You spoke of great shows like All in the Famkly, but there is no way that show could be made today and be that popular for the very same reasons Jerry gave. Jerry didn't say being liberal was bad, he said the fear If being offensive is bad. If you conflate not being offensive with being liberal, I think you're on the wrong side of the fence on this one.
I understand the joke, but merely saying there's nothing wrong with being gay in 1993 would have been considered "extreme left" for the time period. Seinfeld also had other "PC" moments, like Jerry holding up a black and white cookie and saying it represents racial harmony. I don't have anything against these moments, but it's bizarre to embrace PC culture then and complain about it now.

I just think complaining about PC and the left is such a lazy, overused trope, especially when it was the right policing content for the longest time. You couldn't even say the word pregnant on I Love Lucy because of regulations. And again, conservatives tried to take Married...with Children off the air. Those things hurt comedy far more than some blue-haired lady whining on twitter.

And All in the Family had a stage-show adaption in 2019, didn't offend anyone from what I recall.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Jerry Seinfeld for me personally has just dropped in his comedic quality over the years.

“Seinfeld” definitely holds a special place for me and I have many wonderful memories casually watching the show with my parents as a kid (and of course many of the jokes going over my head, lol)…… but while I wouldn’t say he’s lived long enough to see himself become a villain, his comedy career just ain’t what it used to be for me.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I pretty much feel the same way. I feel like the sitcom "Seinfeld" was so good because of Larry David and a strong supporting cast, in particular Jason Alexander.

I just can't imagine being worth a billion dollars and wasting my time going on podcasts complaining about the system that made me rich.

Angela Mae

Reaction score
The Israel-Palestine war has honestly only just divided people even more far as I’m concerned, and brought out way too many true colors at that. I’ve seen people who do show genuine sympathy and then meanwhile you have others who just pretend to care for social media clout.
The fact that Arab people largely still think that their keffiyeh is still viable as well a "keffiyeh", particularly to most people in the western world, just illustrates how clinging to tradition and letting your cultural practices ossify can be a... problem.

groverandgrapes

Reaction score
The fact that Arab people largely still think that their keffiyeh is still viable as well a "keffiyeh", particularly to most people in the western world, just illustrates how clinging to tradition and letting your cultural practices ossify can be a... problem.
You rn

Angela Mae

Reaction score
I'm being correct in pointing out that clinging to the keffiyeh in 2024 just discredits them.

Sadly, the same is true for the non-Hitler swastika in Hinduism and Buddhist tradition..

It's not fair or just but life isn't that way. At least, not always.

Angela Mae

Reaction score
Like Simon Phoenix, I'd take hellish chaos over this sissy fascism of the hard-to-far left.

By the way Jim Hacker should have also just tossed Dorothy Wainwright a gun...