Retro Commercials--What's the Attraction?

sesameguy

Reaction score
Just like with old Sesame or Muppet Show clips, old commercials can bring back good memories (sometimes a few bad ones, too, but that's the way it goes!) I definitely have enjoyed seeking out old commercials on YouTube. Although I haven't found every single one that comes to mind, I've found quite a few. It's amazing how something you may think of as being too obscure for anyone else to remember can sometimes be found. It's quite a fun feeling, as if you were going through a library looking for one particular book, and then finding the one book.

============================

Obligitory blog refer: :smile:
You can currently watch the Cookie Monster PSA from the 1970s in my favorites list on my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sesameguy2000

Or here's the direct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uclriotpbz8

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ha! That was great!

See? Even back then Cookie Monster didn't limit his diet to strictly cookies!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ohh yay! I saw that PSA at The Paley Center once (formerly The Museum of TV and Radio)! Definitely puts to rest the whole Veggie controversy (at least it ought to, lol). There's also a clip somewhere of Jim talking about having recently done that commercial to make up for all the cookies they'd shoved down Cookie's throat, lol.

Speaking of PSAs, I don't know why, but I have always been fascinated by them, lol. I mean, you're a little kid, happily watching your favorite colorful cute shows. Then suddenly some random ad comes up with creepy music, disturbing images, and serious voices saying things like "You could learn a lot from a dummy...buckle your safety belt!" Or "Only you can prevent forest fires." Or even "So the next time you think about doing drugs, think about what you might be jumping into...." (shot of empty swimming pool, remember that?)

There's one I've always wanted to see again but never seem to find. Two teenagers are carving their initials into a poor old Beach tree. Then at the end the tree falls at the camera at you. ::shivers:: lol

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
More on PSAs, I've heard from various places that the reason you don't see them much anymore is because it was decided they weren't making the impact hoped for (particularly the drug issue). I understand that they need to spend their money in the right places. But in a way, I think it's a shame the PSAs are no longer around the way they were. They made it seem like our society cared about issues. They were a reflection of us in a way. Now without them, the landscape of Television (and even society) looks much more bleak.

Skye

Reaction score
I actually took a class that, at one point, discussed PSAs and the impact they have on people. It seemed to be a split decision among the class... some people felt PSAs did their job and got their messages across effectively while others thought PSAs were preachy and actually pushed viewers to want to do the opposite of what they intended. Everyone has so many different interpretations and feelings in things like this. :smile: It's so interesting! And it is (and has been) really interesting to see how PSAs will try to get their message across.

I feel many retro commercials were just much more unique and well thought-out than they are now. Nowadays, I've noticed so many commercials that throughout the whole thing, they'll have nothing at all to do with the actual product. Then at the very end of the commercial, they'll just put the name of the product onscreen and bam! It's supposed to be some great commercial for it, lol! I guess they just figure whatever works...

But sometimes, I miss having a fun, creative tagline or a cute mascot for so many products, like it used to be.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I actually took a class that, at one point, discussed PSAs and the impact they have on people. It seemed to be a split decision among the class... some people felt PSAs did their job and got their messages across effectively while others thought PSAs were preachy and actually pushed viewers to want to do the opposite of what they intended.
I would love to have taken that class, lol! But anyway, I think it probably depends on the person. Some will understand and get the message, while others will feel more rebellious and be more drawn to the forbidden act. We all don't react to the same things in the same way.

One critique I do have about the PSA drug commercials. They focused too much on "drugs can kill." I think people already know that, they just do it anyway. There should have been more emphasis on addressing the emotional reasons for self destructive behavior.

Like that Cartoon All-Stars special (basically one really long PSA lol) actually did. They explain that everyone has problems in life, but you have to learn to deal with them and believe in yourself. Not try to escape with substance abuse, because it will only make things worse. And you're worth more than that. That's what the commercials should have tried to get across.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I actually took a class that, at one point, discussed PSAs and the impact they have on people. It seemed to be a split decision among the class... some people felt PSAs did their job and got their messages across effectively while others thought PSAs were preachy and actually pushed viewers to want to do the opposite of what they intended.
Reverse psychology?

Skye

Reaction score
Reverse psychology?
Yessiree!

That's exactly right, it very much depends on the person. Depending on the message, some people will understand while others might try to be rebellious if they feel they're being told what to do, etc. It's a very interesting and personal thing.

I believe that's very true, heralde. I think focusing on the emotional aspect of it, giving people solid reasons why a certain thing is good or bad (as opposed to just saying "this is wrong, don't do it"), letting them know there are so many people who love them, and letting people know they are worth more is a wonderful way to do it. Knowing that something can really hurt ourselves and the people we love... I think that can be very inspirational. And I feel something like that might make people want to listen more and hopefully respond in a positive way.

But again, it all depends on the person. :smile: Like they say, "You can't please everybody!" :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah exactly I think people often reject something because the results aren't perfect. But the fact is, nothing is ever perfect. It's still better to try (though make it an informed try!). :wink:

I think South Park sort of made fun of that in one episode where the guidance counselor's whole speech about drugs basically consists of, "Drugs are bad...you shouldn't do drugs." Lol