Robert Zemeckis 'Buzzing' about a second Roger Rabbit Movie

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Oh man this would be so awesome if it came to be, a new Roger Rabbit movie, I would love.

Read about it here

P-p-p-p-please!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh man this would be so awesome if it came to be, a new Roger Rabbit movie, I would love.

Read about it here

P-p-p-p-please!
I would like nothing more than to see a Roger Rabbit sequel. The subject matter lends itself to another picture - if made correctly. The classic hand drawn animation of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is as much a part of the film as the title character himself. Robert Zemekis wants to motion capture the performances this go-round! Ugh, ick, oogie!

I could stomach some CG animation with toon shaders mixed with some traditional cel animation in bits, but the characters need to be animated - not motion captured. How does one motion capture the squash and stretch fluidity of a Tex Avery style toon?

I don’t want to see Roger, Jessica, Benny and the gang appearing like the cardboard corpse-like creations in the horribly expressionless Polar Express. I think Roger Rabbit is the perfect vehicle to bring cel animation back to the forefront. If that means dumping Zemekis than I’ll get the Toontown catapult.

I wanna be excited about this - but not using this ill-fitting technique. :sympathy:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I thought the funniest idea was from the comment below the article which theorized Lucasville would battle Toontown. Now THAT would be hilarious. Remember that Betty Boop griped about the appearance of color cartoons. So, technically, this plot idea isn't a big stretch.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would like nothing more than to see a Roger Rabbit sequel. The subject matter lends itself to another picture - if made correctly. The classic hand drawn animation of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is as much a part of the film as the title character himself. Robert Zemekis wants to motion capture the performances this go-round! Ugh, ick, oogie!
That sounds as bad as making Underdog a live action, non-anthropomorphic dog....

But in all honesty, I don't see a Roger Rabbit 2 getting off the ground... especially if Roger has less motion than a Disneyland Walkaround. If it must be done, it HAS to be 2-D animation mixed with live action, like the first. But the chances of RR2 are the same as Ghostbusters 3.... they'll bring back rumors every year, it gets one inch closer to production, and then it winds up going 5 feet back. Indiana Jones 4 happened, sure... but I just see this falling apart at the seems like Hercules 2, Wacky Races the Movie, Hong Kong Phooey the movie, Naked Gun 4.... and all of that.

Of course, look how long it took the Jetsons to get off the ground. They wanted to make one since 1996. And now we have something a little more solid, and it's probably gonna happen.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't happen. The movie came out 20 years ago. I like Roger Rabbit as a stand alone picture. Sure they could have had a sequel or two, but now I think it's too late.

Just leave Roger Rabbit alone. It shouldn't take 20 years to make a sequel, though Indiana Jones 4 came out about 20 years after the third one......:sympathy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey, I don't think they're even going to clear up that rift between Amblin and Disney. Warner and Amblin seem to have made agreements as per the Animaniacs/Freakazoid/Tiny Toons DVD's... but they are among the most pricey DVD's out there. I'd be surprised if we even saw a wave of 25th anniversay Roger Rabbit products at the Disney Store, let alone a new movie.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I don't know - it came out 20 years ago and that seems like a LONG time to put a sequel out. Plus, would Disney even allow Mickey and the gang to be in it like the last one? What decade would the story be in? Would it still prominently feature the classic characters like Bugs Bunny and Betty Boop, or would more modern toons take over? Who would they add in, Spongebob?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's too late for a sequel personally. Plus I hear that Zemeckis is far more interested in special effects these days than making a good movie.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Animated sequals scare me, because usally they arn't as good as the first one. But as some people have already said. if it's done correctly, then it'll be ok.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I see Roger Rabbit as its own thing - more than an animated movie. It had this detective B-movie vibe that easily translates into a sequel. It's also a period piece, yet half of the cast of characters never age.

The original film took place in 1947 - a post-war age of prohibition, but I think a sequel should take place several years later in 1954 with the infamous McCarthy Hearings. It could be about their impact on Toontown. All tempered with wacky parody, of course. The original picture cemented a human vs toon sort of climate that would play interestingly with the McCarthy setting.

To me, this isn't like making a sequel to Cinderella or Pinocchio. It could be more like a sequel to Star Wars or Indiana Jones of the Toon variety if done right. Just say no to motion capture. It doesn't work with classic toons.