Robert Zemeckis 'Buzzing' about a second Roger Rabbit Movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
To me, this isn't like making a sequel to Cinderella or Pinocchio. It could be more like a sequel to Star Wars or Indiana Jones of the Toon variety if done right. Just say no to motion capture. It doesn't work with classic toons.
Of course, everyone hated the sequels to both franchises....

As far as I'd go, I'd wanna see either a movie version of the second book, or something where Television hit, and old time toons are losing their jobs (something about 1959 would do). Think about it... they could have Rocky and Bullwinkle animated in there. Something where Roger has to take on a limited television animation job to keep carrots on the table, and it doesn't even do all that well. Something where Roger gets caught up in some criminal conspiracy, and his misery is the perfect motive to frame him for something, say the death of a TV animation producer.

Telly

Reaction score
I've heard rumors for the last ten years about a sequel. I like the idea of the "Who Discovered Roger Rabbit/Toon Platoon" pre-quel idea. Then they might as well turn it into a trilogy with the "Who P-p-p-plugged Roger Rabbit" sequel taken from the book. The sequel to the "Who Censored Roger Rabbit" book was a lot better than it's predecessor, in my opinion.
But, yeah, I'm with Jamie on this. They don't need motion capture. Just look at the menu to the "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" DVD. Benny looks cheap knock-off of himself! It might be a lot easier if they used CGI for props. I think that would work. But not the characters. I also don't want to see the likes of Spongebob, Smurfs, or modern day cartoon characters.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
^ It would also be really weird to see the more modern animated characters we grew up with (The Smurfs, Scooby Doo, Spongebob etc.) in something so "adult." I know the movie disturbed me on many levels :wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
^ It would also be really weird to see the more modern animated characters we grew up with (The Smurfs, Scooby Doo, Spongebob etc.) in something so "adult." I know the movie disturbed me on many levels :wink:
I wouldn't actually call scooby modern day, but he is compared to other toons. But I wouldn't mind them making bref cameos. Like something hidden you have to catch in the back ground.

But I hope they don't exactly repeat themselves, either. I do think that they should have toons from what ever time the movie taks place.

Kiki

Reaction score
Man I love that movie. And a sequel actually sounds rather awesome. Hope it happens! :excited: :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The likelihood of Spongebob showing up is roughly the same likelihood that the Smurfs and He-Man would have shown up in the first one, made in the 80's. Unless the movie expressly is a commentary on Roger Rabbit living in today's world, which I really can't see happening, we'll only see period cartoon characters. Sure, there were a few characters Disney added in that didn't exactly exist in that time frame (Tinkerbelle, and maybe a couple others)... but they were all pre-1960's.

The motion capture bit is the only thing that concerns me... or would concern me if I didn't have a feeling this film would stall for 3 years and nothing would come out of it. And honestly, if Disney, Warners, and a couple others don't give the same kind of compromise that they did for the first one, it just won't have the same magic.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
As Dr. Tooth more or less said, Roger Rabbit was set during the really "golden age" of animation. Spongebob and Smurfs is very unlikey unless they wanted to do something that was set in todays world, which I honsetly can't picture how they would be able to pull that off.

The original movie was set in 1947, though their were some cartoons that appeared in that movie after that year such as Tinkerbell, Speedy Gonzales, and a few others.

I think it would be interesting if they did something where the movie was set maybe 20 years after in 1967 then I would like to have seen characters from the Jungle Book, Flintstones, and Winnie the Pooh (though I think Piglet could have been seen in the first one) make cameos.

Another thing I just thought of though, does anyone think Warner Bros would be willing to work with Disney again on this or vise versa? I mean I was just thinking about and the Warner company as well as all these other toon companies had people counting their characters time and lines to make sure the other toons (minus Roger and Jessica needless to say), don't get more time and lines than their toons.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think it would be interesting if they did something where the movie was set maybe 20 years after in 1967 then I would like to have seen characters from the Jungle Book, Flintstones, and Winnie the Pooh (though I think Piglet could have been seen in the first one) make cameos.
I still say a movie that takes place about 1959-1960, where the theatrical toons are losing their jobs to TV animated stars would work. And cameos by Bullwinkle and the Flintstones and stuff like that would work rather nicely.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
As Dr. Tooth more or less said, Roger Rabbit was set during the really "golden age" of animation. Spongebob and Smurfs is very unlikey unless they wanted to do something that was set in todays world, which I honsetly can't picture how they would be able to pull that off.
I know it takes place in the "golden era," but if they'd tried to put it in more modern settings (70s, 80s or later), I was curious if they'd dip into characters we grew up with (and how disturbing it might be :stick_out_tongue:).

I think this time around it would be a lot harder to get Mickey and the gang in (I'm really surprised they did it the first time).

Fluffets

Reaction score
I would like nothing more than to see a Roger Rabbit sequel. The subject matter lends itself to another picture - if made correctly. The classic hand drawn animation of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is as much a part of the film as the title character himself. Robert Zemekis wants to motion capture the performances this go-round! Ugh, ick, oogie!

I could stomach some CG animation with toon shaders mixed with some traditional cel animation in bits, but the characters need to be animated - not motion captured. How does one motion capture the squash and stretch fluidity of a Tex Avery style toon?

I don’t want to see Roger, Jessica, Benny and the gang appearing like the cardboard corpse-like creations in the horribly expressionless Polar Express. I think Roger Rabbit is the perfect vehicle to bring cel animation back to the forefront. If that means dumping Zemekis than I’ll get the Toontown catapult.

I wanna be excited about this - but not using this ill-fitting technique. :sympathy:
There was NOTHING wrong with Polar Express, I LOVE that movie!:grouchy: