1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Robin in "Letters to Santa"

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by xoch156, Dec 18, 2008.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I like him just the way he is, it never got on my nerves as I myself, even though I am a grown up have a 'little girl' voice. Some people are just like that, and I think he is fine :). Muppet Babies and things..well I don't think they are pointless if no one ages now, as they were sort of flashbacks. If you did aging in the here and now though, I think it would be more than a little weird to have Robin age and no one else, as when you apply the law of age to one person you sort of have to say it is real for everyone else to...

Anyway, I like him as his little self not becuase that's the only way he can be loved by a certain age but because that is Robin to me, he character is that wonder about growing up, that not wanting to be treated like he's little even when he is, that puppy dogness with his uncle, that is just him..and I love him for it. He is timeless, just fine the way he is, and not at all annoying (in the songs he sings or his character IMHO:)).
  2. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

I always thought Robin's age was very ambiguous. Of course he's a kid, but to attach an age to that? I don't think I would.

I really need to watch Letters to Santa again, because I really didn't notice his voice as I should have. But given the choice between having an off voice (in the case of Robin, Scooter, and anyone else) than having no character at all, I'd take having an off voice. I just don't want these characters to be reduced to background roles. Truth be told, I thought he was off in VMMCM. It took me at least two viewings for him to grow on me there, and I haven't quite figured out why.
  3. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

You know I for one feel that Muppet Babies isn't a flashback or anything, but rather a world of Miss. Piggy's imagation of sorts. I know some people would think that might be reading into it a bit more than I should, but I for one think "the Muppet Movie" is the true origins of the Muppets and Muppet Babies as pretty much what could of been had they been together as babies.
    But the fact is that Jerry isn't performing Robin anymore, very unlike Robin, he's getting up there in years. I'm not sure what you mean by this law of age, but if the character has aged by one or two years in the past 30 years he's been around as a character, than he'll been just fine and still the Robin we all love. I'll use South Park as an example, the show has been on for like what ten years and the characters only aged by 3rd grade to 4th. That's doesn't mean that soon they'll have to move to 5th, than middle school, than high school. If they made Robin one, two at most three years older, it doesn't mean that one day he'll be 12, 16 or 19. You're reading a little too much into it, to be honset.

Besides, I only suggested that as an possible reason to way his voice sounded different. I didn't state it as fact, it's very likely that the MHC/Disney isn't trying to go that way and will indeed keep him five.
  4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I agree Muppet Babies is sort of an alternate reality thing, not meant to be canon. The Muppets aren't about being canon anyway.
  5. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Yes of course he's not but that doesn't mean that the character has to suddenly have a voice that is so different that he doesn't even seem like the same character. To me, his voice carries a lot of that.

I don't think I am..Another trouble with aging him even a little is it can also leave the door wide open that someday they might try to go for the cheap, easy, 'one of today's kids into whatever is cool now so that we can catch younger viewers' sort of characters that in a couple of years get horribaly dated and loses a lot of his timeless character in favor of the 'be a teenager when you're nine' stereotype that Disney is pushing now :p.
    More than anything I think Robin is a timeless stand in for his age group no matter if it be in the 70's-80's-90's-or-00's :3

I hope so, he's a very dear character to me:flirt:..Like I said though, I think even if he aged a little his voice when not be so totally different that it shared nothing in common with his old one:sympathy:
  6. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I know what Robin sounds like! In fact I heard him being performed by Jerry Nelson just yesterday. I can not hear it and I still do not get it! :confused:
  7. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

*lol* It's okay, I guess you have to be an obsessive crazy fangirl like me *lol* ;)...his new voice still does not have anything in common with his old one to me...and to me Robin's voice is just an important to get 'right' as Kermit's. IMHO, they are like a set :). To say 'Kermit has to sound like himself' but 'Robin, oh just make up a reason why he sounds different because no one can ever play him the same'..it just makes me very sad inside. Even if it is true..I dunno, I just would like them to put in that little extra effort with Robin to, you know? : ) It doesn't mean they will, but I can hope...
  8. JJandJanice

You don't think the Muppets have done this already:confused:, that's far from just a "Disney thing". The Muppets are classic timeless characters, but at the same time, they always tried to keep up with the times, this time not just Robin, but all the Muppets. Remember how Miss. Piggy looked in Muppets take Manhattan, she look's totally 80s, they made her look pretty much like every young and hip girl in movies during that time. They still do that to this day, keeping up with every fad and trend that is hip and cool in today's pop culture, that's just a fact.
  9. heralde

Well there's a difference between changing hair styles and changing personalities too much. :)
  10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

That's what I meant :D. For all I care Robin could get a pink mohawk to keep up with the times..but if that comes at the cost of his character that's another matter. 80's hair Piggy was still Piggy after all...
  11. JJandJanice

All the Muppets personalities have changed someway, not to a huge exteme, but still have changed. Even the Muppet performers have said this, they got to a point where they mature more into the characters they are now. In the really early days of Kermit, he was more of a "punch guy" than on the Muppet show he become more of a straight man. Rizzo makes this change from his relationship with Gonzo to his relationship with Pepe and Gonzo became a bigger heartful and caring character over the years (at least that's how I see it).

The character of Robin is to be a modern boy now matter what the time is, what Redsonga said (at least how I took it, maybe I'm reading things wrong) is that she doesn't want to see Robin do whatever is "cool" today. The point I'm making is that the Muppets always stay true to who they truly are and still did and dressed in whatever was cool during that time fame. It never truly changed them. Another point I'm trying to make is that characters do change a little as the years go by (well at least the really good ones that have heart to them). That's how writing works, otherwise won't they just become selling icons like that of (dare I say) Mickey Mouse or Betty Boop pretty much are today. That's how they stay interesting and fresh.
  12. heralde

Yeah this is something that's discussed a lot. I don't think many fans are against change in itself. Just that there's a fine line between maturing and altering. :)
  13. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I mainly just saying that unlike how the main muppets have changed with time, if they age Robin Disney might be a bit too tempted (because it prides itself on being in touch with 'all' kids..in the world...who somehow must all act the same..and love the same live action shows -.-) to alter a lot of his core character in favor of making him a child of today stereotype (with all the 'teenager at nine' trappings) rather than him staying himself only older.

Just like if they aged Kermit he wouldn't suddenly blow all of the money he had been saving for his friends on a mid-life crisis..I dunno, motorcycle... or be the old man who screams at kids to get off his lawn :coy:.

You could say 'oh, but Robin would rebel because he's sheltered' but that isn't very true to his character IMHO, he may make a bit of a fuss about being treated like he is the little frog he is , but at heart he is a pretty mellow little guy and shares a lot in common with his uncle I think...

Plus, I know this doesn't mean much, I am living realistic proof of the fact that not all sheltered children rebel when they are older..we just get very... opinionated about frogs on online forums later on *lol*:excited:
  14. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Yeah. I checked out Redsonga's link and I haven't noticed much of a difference, but maybe I do need to hear the new Robin again after listening to that and listen more closely. But like someone mentioned, Jerry just has a distinct voice that can't really be duplicated. It's sort of the same with Richard as Scooter. Either way, it's good to have those characters back in the spotlight.
  15. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Just because it is hard doesn't mean they can't try harder to make it sound like him, no one gave up on a Kermit voice (or made up reasons for a voice change), so why not Robin? I think each character should get the same effort, and that the only choices shouldn't be sounding nothing like the character or no character at all:cry:...

As for Scooter I liked the new person that was doing his voice before the one in this, I don't know names but he did a better job I think;)
  16. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Teen Robin on a Harley would be such a COOL pic. :D

J/K

No, I'm not. They should have gone all out for AU Robin in VMX. I love me some black leather jackets :)
  17. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

I believe that was Ricky Boyd... and he was in Muppets' Wizard of Oz.

And I agree, I really liked his characterization of Scooter... but this new one isn't bad.
  18. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Okay, i think just about everyone can pretty much agree that Robin sounded a bit off in his very-first-ever time being done by someone other than Jerry, but three pages about how the character's reaching puberty is really stretching it. I don't sense that's what they're doing - just because someone compared his new voice to sounding like he's going through a bad frog version of puberty doesn't mean that we're going to soon see teen Robin - just that his new performer needs a bit more work. I'm sure making Robin deliberatly pull a "Peter Brady" was never on anyone's mind on the set! We can all calm down on this!

Actually, i always felt Robin did age during his time on the Muppet Show from the first to the last season, i always envisioned him more between 7-9 towards the end - as long as he's still in the "child" range, it works for me. (After all, even though frogs might do things differently than humans, how old does one have to be to be a boy scout?)

Yeah, Jerry could have looped the voice, but you know what would happen? People would still say he didn't sound right. This is what happened a few years back when VMX came out - of all Jerry's looped characters, Robin sounded really off - not even like he forgot to do the voice really, but his whole tone and inflection didn't seem to match the mood of the scene (very much felt like it was looped and detached)...like he was pitching him higher than it should have been - like an even MORE overly peppy Bob McGrath - that's what he reminded me of all throughout VMX.

...and we're basically judging this all over one line that was sung and not spoken. And i think this is actually key to why it sounded weird - not necessarily that the pitch/tone of the voice was off, but the way the line was sung - very staccato, where Robin almost always had a very legato way of singing even upbeat things. Like. Every. Single. Word. Or two. In. That. Sung. Phrase. Was. A Sentence. I think that more than anything else was why it sounded so off.

...and btw - speaking of Jerry's recast characters in LtS, when Lew Zealand gave Clare's mom her present and whispered "it's fishes", that sounded SO classic Lew Zealand at that moment that i TOTALLY forgot it was someone else doing him.
  19. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Oh - an interesting sidenote i forgot to mention...
    my dvd player has a feature where you can watch something slightly slowed down or sped up and i've been in the habit of almost watching dvds sped up (great timesaver)...to the point where say if i happen to tune in to Sid the Science Kid as its airing, it always feels like the "Looking for my Friends" song is really dragging since i got so used to it slighly sped up!

Anyway - the first time i watched LtS, i watched it at regular speed of course, but then rewatched it several times sped up...than the next day i happened to watch Muppet Christmas Carol - and Robin in LtS sounded much closer to Robin in MCC when it was slighly sped up!
  20. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I felt Robin sounded a little like he was performed by Dave Goelz in the way he pronounced the few words he uttered. Kind of Bunseny. :confused: