1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Robin in "Letters to Santa"

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by xoch156, Dec 18, 2008.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I have been talking with Steve Swanson and he is trying to help me find out who preformed Robin.
  2. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I dunno, I think it is better to talk about these things than to not to, even if some people think it is silly...After all, talk focused on just Robin is pretty rare in of itself, and to have a place to talk about all these issues and maybe share our passion for the character and why we feel that way is pretty much what MC is for IMHO :). No other place can you talk about talking frogs and their growth..if we can't go overbroad here where can we? There is no harm in it, and it's not flaming or spamming :3. So we are young fans with an almost scary passion, I see that only as a good thing :D
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

When you put it like that, I agree. I mean, in VMX, they clearly had to tone his voice up (speed it up without changing the tempo) to make it sound close. At a certain age, certain performers can't do high pitched child voices as well anymore. I remember someone recalled that Pat Fraley (the voice of characters such as Krang from TMNT, Wildcat from Talespin, and many others) could no longer do teenager type voices. And looking at the Bullwinkle movie, June Foray's Rocky sounded pretty gravelly.
  4. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

Jerry does not do Robin's voice. Infact, mostof Jerry's characters are almost already replaced. Lew Zealand, Floyd, Camilla...Robin was just a matter of time. Count is the only character Jerry preforms, even though most of it may be pre-recorded. Gobo may also be preformed by Jerry, hoping so.
  5. travellingpat

travellingpat Active Member

im think that it was matt vogel who did Robin here...
  6. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

jerry nelson was awesome as him.
  7. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Member

So does anyone know definitively who Robin's performer was? Matt Vogel doesn't have it listed on his resume, even though he was my guess as well. I wonder if it was Peter Linz or James Godwin?
  8. LamangoNumber2

Well, if the thing was released on DVD, we could find out, couldn't we?
  9. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Member

Unfortunately no, we can't find out because the puppeteers are just listed as a group and not by specific characters.
  10. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Perhaps they did that on purpose because new voices for old characters have received so much abuse in the past, even here at MC...
  11. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I don't mind Muppet recasts at all. If the voice is defernit, who cares? As long as it's the same characther. I would like to know who preformed Robin thogh.
  12. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I have an answer (sort of)...

Check out this pics taken on the set of "Letters to Santa" to see who performed Robin... the answer may surprise you...

http://twitpic.com/29khk
    http://twitpic.com/29kj4

That's right... Robin was puppeteered by Bill Barretta in his brief appearance in "A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa".

However the audio for the musical number was all pre-recorded in the studio so it does not mean Bill provided his "new" singing voice. And everyone I've talked to is being tight-lipped about who did what in the recording studio. So this may remain a mystery... for now at least ;)
  13. antsamthompson9

At least, we know who puppeteered him.
  14. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

*mind erupts* That is... WOW! That is AWESOME! I had... NO idea! That was my LAST guess! ...WOW! I'm at a loss for words. If that WAS Bill's voice for Robin... WOW. Now that I listen to it with that mentallity... WOW.
  15. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I care :). A lot of people care about certain characters having a one of kind voice, but we all have our favorites... My main one just happens to be Robin:excited:.
    Caring isn't a bad thing:flirt:
    Anyway, it nice to know how played him, hopefully Robin will get a bigger part next time :3.
  16. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be neat if Bill started doing a lot more of Jerry's Muppets kind of the way Eric does all of Frank's.
  17. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well, Robin for one at least, just like all of his performers characters, actually has/had a voice that is hard to mimic. There is an extra layer to his voice. It is the same as how Gobo would seem like an easy voice to do, but when you actually hear someone else try to play him, there is something missing.
    I think Rowlf is a bit like that to :).
  18. LamangoNumber2

Well, if you think about it, Kermit's new voice =/= Kermit's old voice. Kermit's old voice was so... calm, somewhat deep, Jim's voice was the character. Steve was taking that character, for known reasons, and trying to insert much of Jim into him as possible. It takes a while for people to get into that state of mind. Heck, my friends beleive I do a perfect Kermit. I totally dissagree.
    Fozzie's voice is still in develope, since Eric basicly is doing his Bert voice from SS. Same with Kermit and Ernie. The two [Steve and Eric] are trying to get into the role of the character.

Robin, by Bill? Wow. Totally did not see that. Seriously. Bill, known for his big, rough sounding characters, as that tiny widdle fwoggy? Give the guy some credit. If he didn't voice him, someone possibly worse would have been chosen. I beleive Bill did a great job for his FIRST APPERANCE AS ROBIN!

Nah. Then we wouldn't see Rowlf or Dr.Teeth as much, and we already see as little of them as possible. I still wanna know when this freakin special will be out on DVD, gosh dernit!
    I claim this page for the orange bongo player.
  19. antsamthompson9

I think Bill did Robin's line "Yeah" when the girl asks him if he wants to help.
  20. antsamthompson9

Greg, do you also know who preformed Floyd?:sing: