Robin in "Letters to Santa"

Redsonga

Reaction score
The thing that's always bothered me about Robin is that he's NOT an SS child. He doesn't HAVE to be five to appeal to the pre-K segment. Almost every time he sings, especially in something "heartwarming", the music is nearly muted and everyone almost whispers, like he's so fragile he'll break if you sing at normal volume. It's cute the first couple of times but then it just gets on my nerves -- like it did Robin, I might add. Robin's character has always seemed to protest being treated like a child, and so I think that should be respected. He shouldn't be forced into permanent childhood, though he doesn't have to be suddenly an adult.
I like him just the way he is, it never got on my nerves as I myself, even though I am a grown up have a 'little girl' voice. Some people are just like that, and I think he is fine :smile:. Muppet Babies and things..well I don't think they are pointless if no one ages now, as they were sort of flashbacks. If you did aging in the here and now though, I think it would be more than a little weird to have Robin age and no one else, as when you apply the law of age to one person you sort of have to say it is real for everyone else to...

Anyway, I like him as his little self not becuase that's the only way he can be loved by a certain age but because that is Robin to me, he character is that wonder about growing up, that not wanting to be treated like he's little even when he is, that puppy dogness with his uncle, that is just him..and I love him for it. He is timeless, just fine the way he is, and not at all annoying (in the songs he sings or his character IMHO:smile:).

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I always thought Robin's age was very ambiguous. Of course he's a kid, but to attach an age to that? I don't think I would.

I really need to watch Letters to Santa again, because I really didn't notice his voice as I should have. But given the choice between having an off voice (in the case of Robin, Scooter, and anyone else) than having no character at all, I'd take having an off voice. I just don't want these characters to be reduced to background roles. Truth be told, I thought he was off in VMMCM. It took me at least two viewings for him to grow on me there, and I haven't quite figured out why.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
The only problem, with all due respect, that I see with saying they NEVER age is that it makes Muppet Babies the stupidest idea ever, and also makes KSY (which I admit I never got a chance to see) pointless.
You know I for one feel that Muppet Babies isn't a flashback or anything, but rather a world of Miss. Piggy's imagation of sorts. I know some people would think that might be reading into it a bit more than I should, but I for one think "the Muppet Movie" is the true origins of the Muppets and Muppet Babies as pretty much what could of been had they been together as babies.
I like him just the way he is, it never got on my nerves as I myself, even though I am a grown up have a 'little girl' voice. Some people are just like that, and I think he is fine . Muppet Babies and things..well I don't think they are pointless if no one ages now, as they were sort of flashbacks. If you did aging in the here and now though, I think it would be more than a little weird to have Robin age and no one else, as when you apply the law of age to one person you sort of have to say it is real for everyone else to...

Anyway, I like him as his little self not becuase that's the only way he can be loved by a certain age but because that is Robin to me, he character is that wonder about growing up, that not wanting to be treated like he's little even when he is, that puppy dogness with his uncle, that is just him..and I love him for it. He is timeless, just fine the way he is, and not at all annoying (in the songs he sings or his character IMHO).
But the fact is that Jerry isn't performing Robin anymore, very unlike Robin, he's getting up there in years. I'm not sure what you mean by this law of age, but if the character has aged by one or two years in the past 30 years he's been around as a character, than he'll been just fine and still the Robin we all love. I'll use South Park as an example, the show has been on for like what ten years and the characters only aged by 3rd grade to 4th. That's doesn't mean that soon they'll have to move to 5th, than middle school, than high school. If they made Robin one, two at most three years older, it doesn't mean that one day he'll be 12, 16 or 19. You're reading a little too much into it, to be honset.

Besides, I only suggested that as an possible reason to way his voice sounded different. I didn't state it as fact, it's very likely that the MHC/Disney isn't trying to go that way and will indeed keep him five.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree Muppet Babies is sort of an alternate reality thing, not meant to be canon. The Muppets aren't about being canon anyway.

Redsonga

Reaction score
But the fact is that Jerry isn't performing Robin anymore, very unlike Robin, he's getting up there in years.
Yes of course he's not but that doesn't mean that the character has to suddenly have a voice that is so different that he doesn't even seem like the same character. To me, his voice carries a lot of that.

I'm not sure what you mean by this law of age, but if the character has aged by one or two years in the past 30 years he's been around as a character, than he'll been just fine and still the Robin we all love. I'll use South Park as an example, the show has been on for like what ten years and the characters only aged by 3rd grade to 4th. That's doesn't mean that soon they'll have to move to 5th, than middle school, than high school. If they made Robin one, two at most three years older, it doesn't mean that one day he'll be 12, 16 or 19. You're reading a little too much into it, to be honset.
I don't think I am..Another trouble with aging him even a little is it can also leave the door wide open that someday they might try to go for the cheap, easy, 'one of today's kids into whatever is cool now so that we can catch younger viewers' sort of characters that in a couple of years get horribaly dated and loses a lot of his timeless character in favor of the 'be a teenager when you're nine' stereotype that Disney is pushing now :stick_out_tongue:.
More than anything I think Robin is a timeless stand in for his age group no matter if it be in the 70's-80's-90's-or-00's :3

Besides, I only suggested that as an possible reason to way his voice sounded different. I didn't state it as fact, it's very likely that the MHC/Disney isn't trying to go that way and will indeed keep him five.
I hope so, he's a very dear character to me:flirt:..Like I said though, I think even if he aged a little his voice when not be so totally different that it shared nothing in common with his old one:sympathy:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I know what Robin sounds like! In fact I heard him being performed by Jerry Nelson just yesterday. I don't can't hear it and I still don't get it! :confused:
*lol* It's okay, I guess you have to be an obsessive crazy fangirl like me *lol* :wink:...his new voice still does not have anything in common with his old one to me...and to me Robin's voice is just an important to get 'right' as Kermit's. IMHO, they are like a set :smile:. To say 'Kermit has to sound like himself' but 'Robin, oh just make up a reason why he sounds different because no one can ever play him the same'..it just makes me very sad inside. Even if it is true..I dunno, I just would like them to put in that little extra effort with Robin to, you know? : ) It doesn't mean they will, but I can hope...

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I don't think I am..Another trouble with aging him even a little is it can also leave the door wide open that someday they might try to go for the cheap, easy, 'one of today's kids into whatever is cool now so that we can catch younger viewers' sort of characters that in a couple of years get horribaly dated and loses a lot of his timeless character in favor of the 'be a teenager when you're nine' stereotype that Disney is pushing now :stick_out_tongue:.
More than anything I think Robin is a timeless stand in for his age group no matter if it be in the 70's-80's-90's-or-00's :3
You don't think the Muppets have done this already:confused:, that's far from just a "Disney thing". The Muppets are classic timeless characters, but at the same time, they always tried to keep up with the times, this time not just Robin, but all the Muppets. Remember how Miss. Piggy looked in Muppets take Manhattan, she look's totally 80s, they made her look pretty much like every young and hip girl in movies during that time. They still do that to this day, keeping up with every fad and trend that is hip and cool in today's pop culture, that's just a fact.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well there's a difference between changing hair styles and changing personalities too much. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well there's a difference between changing hair styles and changing personalities too much. :smile:
That's what I meant :big_grin:. For all I care Robin could get a pink mohawk to keep up with the times..but if that comes at the cost of his character that's another matter. 80's hair Piggy was still Piggy after all...