Rodeo Rosie

Xerus

Reaction score
Here are the Rodeo Rosie skits I remember.

Rosie was lassoing people walking out of Hooper's store, thinking they were thieves, robbing the store. Mr. Hooper told Rosie to only lasso someone if they're running out of the store, that way she'd know that person was a thief. Later, a guy walked out of the store so Rosie left him alone because he was walking, Then Mr. Hooper realized the guy forgot an item and ran out to catch him. Then Rosie ended up lassoing poor Mr. Hooper because he was running.

Another time, Oscar had 4 kids sitting on some chairs wearing cowboy hats and he had a hat too. Oscar said, they're going to pretend to be cowboys riding a stagecoach and Oscar would be the bad guy who holds them up. But Rosie thought Oscar was a real bad guy and ended up lassoing him and dragging him away.

And I remember the scene where Rosie and Grover were sitting on the steps pretending to ride a horse. She said her horse's name was Sugarfoot. When the imagination was over, Grover said she would take Rosie for a ride on his tricycle.

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah, I only remember seeing Rosie in some of my story books. Never seen her on the show or anything. She always looked a little intimidating in the book illustrations with those teeth and everything. She kinda looked like Sonny Friendly as a female, didn't she. Was she supposed to be a kid Muppet?

ssetta

Reaction score
I've actually seen what I think was her debut. It was in the Season 6 premiere episode. Mr. Hooper, Maria, David, and Luis were sitting in the store, and she happened by. She keeps exaggerating about how everything on SS is "tiny and puny" because everything in her area is totally big. But they tell her that she doesn't have to do that, and that they'll be her friends. Then Big Bird happens by, and she says "Big Bird? Why, you call that big? Where I'm from, we have birds twice your size!" And she keeps going on and on, and the ending music plays.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Amazingly enough, I think your description actually sounds vaguely familiar, sseta. (Although I must have seen it in reruns if I did, because I sure wasn't around for season 6. :smirk: )

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Xerus said:
Here are the Rodeo Rosie skits I remember.

Rosie was lassoing people walking out of Hooper's store, thinking they were thieves, robbing the store. Mr. Hooper told Rosie to only lasso someone if they're running out of the store, that way she'd know that person was a thief. Later, a guy walked out of the store so Rosie left him alone because he was walking, Then Mr. Hooper realized the guy forgot an item and ran out to catch him. Then Rosie ended up lassoing poor Mr. Hooper because he was running.

Another time, Oscar had 4 kids sitting on some chairs wearing cowboy hats and he had a hat too. Oscar said, they're going to pretend to be cowboys riding a stagecoach and Oscar would be the bad guy who holds them up. But Rosie thought Oscar was a real bad guy and ended up lassoing him and dragging him away.

And I remember the scene where Rosie and Grover were sitting on the steps pretending to ride a horse. She said her horse's name was Sugarfoot. When the imagination was over, Grover said she would take Rosie for a ride on his tricycle.
Of course they showed a film while they were imagining riding somewhere in the west, simaller to Bert taking Maria for a ride in a helicopter though we couldn't see Grover or rosie durring the film.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I take it Rodeo Rosie was on the show from 1974 until sometime in the early8 0's. Since Richard Hunt was the voice of Rodeo Rosie, I can see why he stopped performing her around the time Forgetful Jones was brought in. Forgetful Jones was originally voiced by somebody else, I think named Michael Earl Davis. Mabye they were seen together during Forgetful's first year and RR's last year on the show. I have some books called The Sesame Street that are from 1981 which feature the 2 of them together in a few parts. So mabye during the 1980-1981 Season when Michael Earl Davis played Forgetful, mabye Rodeo Rosie was in a few scenes with him. But since Forgetful had Clementine as his companion, I can see why they got rid of RR, and asked Richard Hunt to take over Forgetful when Michael Earl Davis decided to leave.

MuppetfraggleEX

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that they did appear together. I know I had to have seen them in atleast one show. I liked Rodeo Rosie, but I also like forgetful too. I have stories of both of them in some vintage books that I have.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Did Richard Hunt really perform Rodeo Rosie? I thought that Jerry Nelson performed her.

In the golden book video Three Sesame Street Stories, she was voiced by Fran Brill. Richard Hunt and Jerry Nelson didn't provide any voices in that video, and by then Rodeo Rosie probably hadn't been on the show in a long time so the makers of the video probably thought it didn't matter what she sounded like.