Roger Rabbit 2 script completed, 3D being used

Drtooth

Reaction score
Roger Rabbit will NOT work as a CGI hybrid because they're not supposed to be CGI characters. It's not a visual aspect, it's a very important plot point. Unless CGI uses trickery to make it look like full on hand drawn animation, it's going to do a complete disservice to the franchise. It needs, at the very least, traditionally drawn, digitally animated characters with CGI assistance in crowd scenes.

robodog

Reaction score
Using CGI for the characters would ruin it. Part of the reason the original is so impressive is they didn't have the CGI crutch to fall back on. They had to be more creative with the effects. Since CGI became a thing pretty much every special effects movie has become Roger Rabbit. A live action/animated hybrid. There are no purely live action genre films anymore.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not to mention how very important being ink and paint was for the original movie. There was a way to kill toons, because the plot really was about Judge Doom, whatever toon he was, wanted complete and utter genocide of the toons so he could build a freeway. And we all know the only way to kill them is to make a chemical cocktail (the Dip) that dissolves a Toon's ink and paint based structure. I don't know how they can do it here unless they take a Cue from the Bullwinkle movie... the CDI that breaks down a TOon into data and spreads them where the most useless information goes, the internet (say what you will about that movie... it accurately predicted the future of the internet).

Unless there's some advanced trickery that makes the CGI look exactly like animation (and it is kinda possible, only it looks like much stiffer animation), I don't see this working. They better change their tune and make this a digital animation hybrid. And also they better clear out a LOT of rights so we can see all those other cartoon characters too.

Slackbot

Reaction score
That CGI test was done a long time ago, and it doesn't look bad. The technology has advanced significantly since then. I think it could work provided they took pains to make it look like hand-animation, complete with line vibration.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
CGI for Roger Rabbit makes no sense. The whole point of the movie is that they are cartoon characters, not 3D CGI characters. It has to be the 2D Cartoon style if they want it to work.

Personally, I hated the first Roger Rabbit and would hate to see another, but it was popular...I'm just curious if a lot of people today would still be interested in seeing another.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's the test animation, for those who are curious.

Pretty darn impressive how close he looks to the hand-drawn style, especially considering this is from 1998. I really hope they stick with this style for the final movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
THAT would work. They need that.

Somehow I see Zemeckis's name next to CGI and think of his terrible zombie motion capture system. The one used for TinTin was better, but mocap just doesn't look as good as they think it does.