1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Roger Rabbit 2 script completed, 3D being used

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrBabySpencer, Dec 2, 2012.

1. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Active Member

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Roger Rabbit will NOT work as a CGI hybrid because they're not supposed to be CGI characters. It's not a visual aspect, it's a very important plot point. Unless CGI uses trickery to make it look like full on hand drawn animation, it's going to do a complete disservice to the franchise. It needs, at the very least, traditionally drawn, digitally animated characters with CGI assistance in crowd scenes.
  4. robodog

robodog Active Member

Using CGI for the characters would ruin it. Part of the reason the original is so impressive is they didn't have the CGI crutch to fall back on. They had to be more creative with the effects. Since CGI became a thing pretty much every special effects movie has become Roger Rabbit. A live action/animated hybrid. There are no purely live action genre films anymore.
    heralde likes this.
  5. Drtooth

Not to mention how very important being ink and paint was for the original movie. There was a way to kill toons, because the plot really was about Judge Doom, whatever toon he was, wanted complete and utter genocide of the toons so he could build a freeway. And we all know the only way to kill them is to make a chemical cocktail (the Dip) that dissolves a Toon's ink and paint based structure. I don't know how they can do it here unless they take a Cue from the Bullwinkle movie... the CDI that breaks down a TOon into data and spreads them where the most useless information goes, the internet (say what you will about that movie... it accurately predicted the future of the internet).

Unless there's some advanced trickery that makes the CGI look exactly like animation (and it is kinda possible, only it looks like much stiffer animation), I don't see this working. They better change their tune and make this a digital animation hybrid. And also they better clear out a LOT of rights so we can see all those other cartoon characters too.
  6. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

That CGI test was done a long time ago, and it doesn't look bad. The technology has advanced significantly since then. I think it could work provided they took pains to make it look like hand-animation, complete with line vibration.
  7. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

CGI for Roger Rabbit makes no sense. The whole point of the movie is that they are cartoon characters, not 3D CGI characters. It has to be the 2D Cartoon style if they want it to work.

Personally, I hated the first Roger Rabbit and would hate to see another, but it was popular...I'm just curious if a lot of people today would still be interested in seeing another.
  8. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Here's the test animation, for those who are curious.

Pretty darn impressive how close he looks to the hand-drawn style, especially considering this is from 1998. I really hope they stick with this style for the final movie.
    FrackleFan2012 likes this.
  9. Drtooth

THAT would work. They need that.

Somehow I see Zemeckis's name next to CGI and think of his terrible zombie motion capture system. The one used for TinTin was better, but mocap just doesn't look as good as they think it does.
  10. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Active Member

11. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Nothing to see here, just another dying industry desperately grabbing on to any gimmick they can, lol.
    charlietheowl likes this.
  12. Drtooth

I don't see the problem if the characters themselves aren't CGI. 3-D? I see no rational complaints there either. It's an optional thing depending on what theater you go to. If they have a good enough script, I see no problems with this.

The thing is, the original movie is quite deep. It's pretty much an allegory about racism, the word "toon" is what the humans call them. That's their racial slur. They're treated like second class citizens and live in their own Ghetto. I hope they can remember that when they write the next one.

And I hope they can get as many cartoon characters as possible. Hopefully they can get Popeye in there this time. Wouldn't you know, Popeye is public domain everywhere else but the US?
  13. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Still, after all these years, making a sequel to Roger Rabbit would jeopardize the original's credibility as a stand-alone classic.
  14. Drtooth

If they didn't try it twice before with 2 sequels with, let's face it, goofy plots. Everyone has been clamoring for a Roger Rabbit sequel. It's going to be another situation where everyone wants it, but no one likes it, sure... but I'd rather they make a sequel that does nothing to the original movie unless you let it than yet another sequel to a crappy current movie that should just disappear because no one really liked it.

Besides. It means that Disney is playing Ball with Amblin and Spielberg again instead of letting an angry, Eisner induced, feud keep the character in permanent mothballs. He could be all over Disney World again. I don't see that as a bad thing at all.