Romney wants to cut funding for PBS and Sesame Street

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Wait? Romeny wants to stop Sesame Street? IS HE CRAZY?
Why would he want to do that?!
I'm really confused by this whole story...:confused:

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I'm in the middle on this issue. I do support Romney and his plans but after reading Jamie's post see the reasoning of why it should be opposed. At first I saw the photo with that particular statistic and thought that if the federal funding is dropped, it won't make much of a difference in the show. But after further reading, I find out that it will affect the show in that it will add more of a commercialization for the show. Therefore, in that case, I don't believe in the full de-funding of Sesame Street and PBS. That being said, if there was a way to cut back on that spending and of course, spending across the board to reign in the deficit; that I would support. Therefore, I may disagree with Romney's stance but that does not mean I will stop supporting many of his other stances and plans.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Yeah, but he just randomly chose to stop Sesame? There must be some stupid reason behind it at least...

I thought Romney would be better for everything, especially with what's going on with Iran, I'm starting to see that Romney is kinda dumb. I really don't get him.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Yeah, but he just randomly chose to stop Sesame? There must be some stupid reason behind it at least...

I thought Romney would be better for everything, especially with what's going on with Iran, I'm starting to see that Romney is kinda dumb. I really don't get him.
Hey, Muppet fan 123, I suggest you do some research on your won and figure that out for yourself. Not saying there isn't a good discussion here but you can't just accept anything people say to you. Do your research; formulate your own opinion.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Hey, Muppet fan 123, I suggest you do some research on your won and figure that out for yourself. Not saying there isn't a good discussion here but you can't just accept anything people say to you. Do your research; formulate your own opinion.
:confused:
I'm not just suggesting what people are saying to me.
I wasn't really all too excited for Romney in the first place, I was kinda supporting him, but recently, I was starting to have second thoughts, not just becuase of Sesame, but becuase of other things too. The biggest thing: The whole nuclear story in Iran.
I don't know if he'd be better for America. We've seen Obama wasn't that bad, so I'm kinda confused.
Is Romney really going to help? I think he's just big talking. And he's doing a lot of it. So maybe we won't end up shutting PBS. But I don't get why he would mention that in a presidental debate if he probably won't end up doing. Usually they say things like how they'll help the economy, and help people get jobs..yadda yadda yadda

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Basically, Romney wants to let voters know that he's making cuts to programs he deems unnecessary, however he isn't comfortable telling us which ones. He keeps pulling out PBS and the NEA because they're popular punching bags with the Republican party. They've been continually drained over the years while so much other pork-barrel spending has gone unchecked. Someone said somewhere else that cutting PBS funding to balance the budget is like deleting a text message to clear a 500 gigabyte hard drive. That's the correct analogy.

I know it's unpopular to say, but cuts should come from the military budget. This does not mean cuts to the troops. In fact, they hardly ever see any of this additional tax money and many of them had to pay for their own flack jackets under the previous administration. America has poured an unprecedented amount of money into the military since 9-11 and charged it on this corporate credit card that Romney speaks of. This money not really making us safer. It's making certain companies richer and it's putting us in greater debt.