Roosevelt Franklin and Sesame Workshop

Censored

Reaction score
I was kind of surprised to find that there was actually information about Roosevelt Franklin on the Sesame Workshop website. I tend to think that modern Sesame Street wants to keep those characters completely invisible and forgotten. It's on their Newsletter archive and explains about that he was removed from the show because he and his class were considered to be a bad influence. Naturally, since these are the people who sacked Roosevelt Franklin, the article that they show states the reason as an absolute fact, rather than the highly debatable issue that it is. For those who haven't seen it, here's the link:

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/aboutus/newsletter_article.php?contentId=88942&type=sesame

BEAR

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
They ae keeping the "afro american " Muppets Down

Ha! Yeah...but you might say that Hoots is black. Okay, so he's just an owl...okay, so he isn't around all that much...okay, so...well...you got Gordon and that man is cool!:embarrassed:

I can understand about Roosevelt Franklin and gang being retired for those reasons. It seems like he was a good in that he represented the black or African American community and he did things his own way. The thing is, he was usually seen in detention and I guess that was the downside. Later they brought in the character of Kingston Livingston III who seemed to be a newer version of the character only he was presented in a "more positive" light. He was unique, proud and cool doing things "his own style" but was also mature and smart. Probably a better "role model" for all kids. He was great! Then he was canned. I wanna know what happened to KLIII. Kinda seems like he was thrown out to join all the other Anything Muppet kids that have come and gone...Betty Lou, Roxie Marie, Elizabeth, Farley, Roosevelt Franklin and his class. I guess Prairie Dawn is the only one with the staying power.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I can understand about Roosevelt Franklin and gang being retired for those reasons. It seems like he was a good in that he represented the black or African American community and he did things his own way. The thing is, he was usually seen in detention and I guess that was the downside.
When was he seen in detention?

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Later they brought in the character of Kingston Livingston III who seemed to be a newer version of the character only he was presented in a "more positive" light. He was unique, proud and cool doing things "his own style" but was also mature and smart. Probably a better "role model" for all kids. He was great! Then he was canned. I wanna know what happened to KLIII.

I know we'll have a difference of opinion on this, but I really think Kingston was retired because he simply wasn't interesting enough. First of all, he looked too human. Secondly, they created so many restrictions on African American muppet characters that they were unable to give him a real personality like Roosevelt Franklin had. But, that's just my take on it.

Censored

Reaction score
Besides, wasn't Kingston one of the Around The Corner characters that all disappeared when that part ended?

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Besides, wasn't Kingston one of the Around The Corner characters that all disappeared when that part ended?

Your reasons for why he didn't last make sense, I won't disagree.

As for the Around the Corner reference, I believe KLIII came along just before Around the Corner was introduced. I think it was the same year but just before the new season started with Ruthie, Celina and the few humans that came along with that part of the street. Those characters did not all last the same period of time. I think out of all those associated with ATC, Ruthie lasted the longest by a few years and as far as I know Kingston left earlier than she did.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Actually, I'm pretty sure Kingston was seen this season. I remember him singing "Be Yourself." I guess they haven't used him in any new material though.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure Kingston was seen this season. I remember him singing "Be Yourself." I guess they haven't used him in any new material though.

Was it an actual season 36 episode though? The reason I ask this is because they have been showing repeats from other seasons every now and then this year.

Censored

Reaction score
You know, if Sesame Workshop really wanted to be daring (which it doesn't), they could bring back BOTH Roosevvelt Franklin AND Kingston Livingston III to have them compare their different ways of life. There could be some conflict and misunderstandings because of their differences, but ultimately that would not matter and the two would be the best of friends. Not likely to happen, but perhaps an interesting idea.