Roosevelt Franklin and Sesame Workshop

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
You know, if Sesame Workshop really wanted to be daring (which it doesn't), they could bring back BOTH Roosevvelt Franklin AND Kingston Livingston III to have them compare their different ways of life. There could be some conflict and misunderstandings because of their differences, but ultimately that would not matter and the two would be the best of friends. Not likely to happen, but perhaps an interesting idea.

I always wondered what it would be like if those two were together.

cookiemark

Reaction score
that is kinda dumb, they didnt axe Luis and Maria because they were hispanic, did they??

Censored

Reaction score
It's interesting. There's really a thin line between removing characters because they are an "ethnic stereotype" and removing them because they have an "ethnic identity".

Censored

Reaction score
I've been listening to the album "The Year of Roosevelt Franklin" lately and I've noticed that it had some of the most positive messages out of all the early Sesame Street albums. There are songs that teach kids not to go out into the street and other safety tips, they tell how it's wrong to hurt other people because they're different, encourage pride in your heritage, teach cooperation among siblings, and emphasize the value of education. If that's what they call a bad influence on kids, then...well...we need more bad influences on kids. :smile: :crazy: :zany:

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Something that totally puzzles me is they have Rosita who represents a Spanish Monster, who is bilingual, and she's been there for 14 years now and they never removed her from the show. Yet they couldn't have Roosevelt Franklin who represented an African American.

Censored

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Something that totally puzzles me is they have Rosita who represents a Spanish Monster, who is bilingual, and she's been there for 14 years now and they never removed her from the show. Yet they couldn't have Roosevelt Franklin who represented an African American.
Yeah, it's hard to figure out how their minds work.

BEAR

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:

I think there are other elements aside from the fact that he was "African American". As for Rosita, I can kinda see your point but not really. Rosita is biligual, but she also represents a positive role model for girls. She and Zoe have been lucky enough to have lasted til now because most principal female Muppet characters on the show are very short lived. Prairie is also in that group of girls. She's lasted the longest. The thing is, Rosita is just recently starting to really gain popularity. She was more of a supporting character before but obviously enough kids respond positively to her that she is still around. Also, there is nothing potentially "stereotype" about her. I think that may be due to the fact that she is a monster character.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Not when you think like they do!

GeeBee said:
Yeah, it's hard to figure out how their minds work.
You have to remember that the #1 priority on their list right now is $$$. And the one character who is bringing that to them, right now, is Elmo. Plus, with the "new format", even if they did bring Roosevelt back, there'd be no place to put the little purple dude!:sympathy:

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I think there are other elements aside from the fact that he was "African American". As for Rosita, I can kinda see your point but not really. Rosita is biligual, but she also represents a positive role model for girls. She and Zoe have been lucky enough to have lasted til now because most principal female Muppet characters on the show are very short lived. Prairie is also in that group of girls. She's lasted the longest. The thing is, Rosita is just recently starting to really gain popularity. She was more of a supporting character before but obviously enough kids respond positively to her that she is still around. Also, there is nothing potentially "stereotype" about her. I think that may be due to the fact that she is a monster character.
Sometimes it's difficult to figure out what they consider a "stereotype". In most ways, Roosevelt Franklin was the total opposite of the stereotypical way that African Americans were portrayed in old comedy films and TV shows. In every way that mattered, he was a positive role model for kids with education, values, and courage. I really think they confused ethnic stereotype with ethnic identity.