Saddam Hussein is captured!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dispite the fact I was against the war in the first place, (I do not want to discuss politics) I'm actually glad they captured him. Imaging... actually capturing the one who's targetted... something I'd never suspect. War is basically world leaders trying to settle disputes by sending innocent bystanders to kill each other...

Hense why I'm glad we've actually captured the person we were going after...

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Ha ha :big_grin:

See? With the passage of some time all the ones against the war now see we were right. You have to break some eggs to make an omelette, and sometimes you have to make a mess to get an evil man like Saddam Hussein.

As for Tomahawk, I WILL SIDE WITH THE USA, and if there were dealings with Hussien that went bad, then it was because of him lying.

Still, I liked the man in your avatar's first film about the car industry. At least that was a very good movie :big_grin:

Beebers

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
i can agree with that statement because it seems like these kinds of countries hate the usa for what it is, the people, etc. although it's great that saddam has been captured, i don't know how much the iraq people like us, even now since we got this guy. it's like this guy brainwashed everybody to be so negative and hateful because thats how he was and he enjected this to the people he was governing and that's how these people are. i'm sure there are people glad that saddam got captured, but i'm sure they still hate the us. people in other countries find that the u.s. is the policemen of the world, sticking their nose in other people's lives and that maybe why i agree with the statement above.

ryan
As I follow this thread I have to wonder if some thoughts are based entirely on the VietNam fiasco. That was one war, in one segment of history. It has to be put into perspective. I grew up through that war, and countless of my closest friends were drafted into it against their will. I won't go into the price my friends paid and still pay to this day, and I did not support it in any way. And now South VietNam thrives and is a tourist destination, of all things.

Every conflict is framed differently, and we are in another time, another place. The United States does not "play policeman" of the world because it has nothing better to do. Quite the contrary. Both World Wars were well underway prior to our involvement despite repeated entreaties from Europe to get over there and help them. In fact, we were only seriously involved in the first World War for one year, that being the last, when we finally went over and finished the job at their request. They'd probably still be at it if we hadn't, as the second war grew from the root remnants of the first. In addition, we put up with sporadic terrorism for decades before making a military commitment. No one commits troops to battle lightly.

Behind the scenes, we are constantly asked for help. Like Ghostbusters, Who ya gonna call? This isn't necessarily a burden that any administration welcomes. Whether it is financial, military, humanitarian or all three, it's our phone number on the first page of presidential rolodexes the world over, like it or not.

During the VietNam conflict, if you were a young man of good health just graduating high school, or in college, or newly married and starting your life, you knew you were doomed to the draft; there was nothing to do but wait for your draft number to come up, or flee to hiding in Canada. Two of my brothers enlisted before their numbers came up, because you had a better chance of staying Stateside if you did, and fortunately they did. Today service is voluntary - the military are in the military because they choose to be, creating a superior entity. On September 12, 2001, my son decided to enlist. Did I, having come up through VietNam, raise him to think military? Obviously not. Did I recognize that this is another world, with a new imperative to protect the idea of living free? Yes. Chances are good that he'd be over there now, but he was turned down based on his medical history.

Young Americans are for the most part lacking a thorough grounding in world history, and without that there can be no thorough understanding of the world they live in.
As to news media, we have available to us the widest array of free press media information in the world. Some media lean left, some right, some are centrist. It is OUR responsibility to use common sense, avail ourselves of many sources of information, and to process information intelligently.

Again, the Iraqis do not hate us, though I see that this unfortunate idea has taken hold. There are tiny pockets of resistance because those who resist benefited financially and in social status from alliance with Hussien, are currently being paid very well indeed by his second-in-command to engage in murdering our people, and expect to gain yet again in future. Iraqis themselves are giving up the bad guys to us, but that appears to be conveniently forgotten.

It's quicker and easier to criticize than to gain full understanding. The right to live free is what's at stake here, for all societies which have it and those aspiring to it. There were sloppy pockets of violent resistance right here after the Revolution, too. It took quite some time for the nascent United States to stabilize. The first terrorist attack on the United States was in 1812, when the British burned down the White House. Should we have given up then, as well? I think not. Living free takes work, sacrifice and responsibility. The Iraqis are ready and willing to do what it takes to live free.

guysmiley4ever

Reaction score
muppet interagations

Phantom said:
I have been reluctant to say anything in this thread because I have both agreed and disagreed with things that have been said. I don't come to Muppet Central to have political discussions!

Whether you agree or disagree with the methods used, the world and the Iraqi people are rid of a brutal dictator and their future is now in their hands.

Enough said.
I agree 100% Political discussions on the Muppet board seems rather dismal. :stick_out_tongue:
This sort of discussion should only be Muppet related. C'mon everybody, let us be a bit more bright, cheery, and pleasant.
For example:
that Hussien fellow is a very bad man. as for the issue on interrogations and trials...
just lock him in a small concrete room with sweetums, animal, crazy harry, and elmo...check back in a hour.
It doesn't get any easier than that! :crazy:

Also, i think Sam the eagle would make a great judge! :attitude:

Now, i'm off to lunch. after reading this thread, i have a taste for pancakes... :confused:

Bless us all.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
This just in--Saddam Hussein was captured again last night. This time, on South Park.

Did anybody else see this? Crazy how fast they can put an episode out.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i have a 19 year old cousin over in iraq who could very well be killed by some group of people who feel they have to use force by any means to get the idea across that they want american troops out of their country.

beebers, i'm not trying to talk down on america's effort on being over there. i mean the people of iraq do need to rebuild their country, and it's aweful on what saddam did to them for over what, 30 years or so. i'm just saying it would be better if the united nations would take over so the united states could get back to the main task which is on a lot of people's minds, rebuilding the economy etc. but the u.s and united nations aren't really seeing eye to eye right now.

i actually like history and find it a wonderful subject because of what all it took just to get to this point in time, not just as a nation but as a world. i know you weren't applying that statement to me, but i just wanted to say that i've always been interested in history. i know what happened during the korean and vietnam war, and world war 2, and the gulf war back in the early 90's, and i have respect for the men and women that have fought duiring those events.

all i'm saying is it just seems like the united states is always the first people to get involve in some problem that's happening somewhere in the other part of the world and that has led to arguements and debates from other countries since the late 1800's to when America got involved in the spanish american war.

but that's just my opinion. so i will say nothing more on this subject.

ryan

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This is all great, but where the heck is Bin Laden? As for those who think this automatically gives Bush a second term might think back and remember the history of his father. He didn't get Saddam, but the US did win the Gulf War. A lot can happen in a year. The American public is notoriously fickle. The economy will have much more to do with the election and it appears to be bouncing back. I just wish there were at least one candidate that really reflected my views. That’s the world of politics. Ya support the least offensive candidate. Not to get political or lean either way. We’ve got Governor Schwarzenegger so I’m one to talk! :big_grin:

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
This just in--Saddam Hussein was captured again last night. This time, on South Park.

Did anybody else see this? Crazy how fast they can put an episode out.
:confused: I thought he was "killed in a pack of wild boars." Or was that just in the movie?