Sam's funniest moments.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
The Flying Sheep said:
For my money, Sam is has one of his all-time funniest lines in the Steve Martin episode of TMS: "For one brief moment, there was light at the end of the tunnel."
That one has to take the cake.

I loved it when he got his classics confused- he called Rudolf Nureyev his favorite opera singer, Beethoven his favorite playwright (James Coco episode), and thought that William Shakespeare was not only still alive, but also that he wrote both "Robin Hood" and "The Sound of Music" (UK Spot, Lynn Redgrave episode). Makes him a hypocrite, that- the fact that he lambasts the show's lack of culture when he himself is not cultured at all, but only pretends to be cultured because of the honor and dignity associated with culture.

I miss those dichotomies, the new writers seem to gloss over the quirks, mindsets, and contradictions that make the characters who they are, the characters the public fell in love with.

Some of my favorite Sam moments:

Marty Feldman episode:
Sam: (reading off script) "Behind the desk- this is the desk- sits the stooge." (looks at chair facing desk) "Ah, that'll be him." (looks at script) "No, the stooge is you."

Rudolf Nureyev episode:
Sam: "Are you sure it's ballet, not opera?"
Kermit: "Positive."
Sam: (shrugs) "Six of one, half dozen of the other. Culture is culture."

(upon finding out that the Electric Mayhem will open Rudolf's edition of the show)
Kermit: "Sam, I know I promised you a very cultural show. It's okay, they're going to be playing a minuet, and they have promised to be very classy."
Sam: "May I have that in writing?"

I'm sure I've got more, Sam is one of my favorite characters.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Pianodog

Reaction score
"Am I the only one offended by this?"

Speed Tracer mentions Sam's song/poem number with Rowlf, and Sam is hysterical in that one: "*** willow *** willow" is all he has to say, and he's embarrassed and not completely convinced that this is cultural. After asking why people off stage are laughing, he turns to them again and says, annoyed: "Do you want to do this?". That line sounds like Frank Oz improvising, and that's wonderful. I laughed my head off!

Pianodog.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I thought Sam's funniest season one moment was when he had the misfortune to be sitting next to Gonzo in the panel discussion during the Charles Aznavour episode. He was getting so frustrated but the final straw was when Gonzo struck him on the stomach with a mallet. Was he mad? He was telling Gonzo to get away from him.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
What was the discussion topic for that one, Marty?
My favorite was also the speech on nudity. I also love when he throws out Rudolf Nuriev, only later to realize what he's done. Sam's so self-important that it's funny to see him figuratively fall flat on his face!
On another note, it's always seemed strange to me that he's always complained about how "unamerican" the muppeets are. To me, it seems tthat the muppets are what America iis, or should be, all about:
There a large group of people, all different species, colors, Etc. They recognize their differences out of necessity, but don't pay much attention to them. They work together in relative harmony, and while they don't give much thaught to religion, they are very spiritual.
To bring it back on-topic, guess that's just another one of Sam's flaws...

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Fragglemuppet said:
What was the discussion topic for that one, Marty?
What is man's role in the universe? Gonzo was taking what the others said too literally and when Sam told him to knock it off he lashed out with a mallet to "knock it off" and that's when he struck him.

The nudity speech is very funny of course but I only know season 1 perfectly well. If or rather when (let's be positive-WHEN) the next seasons come out I'm sure there'd be lots of funny Sam moments I could mention.

Pianodog

Reaction score
Another one just occurred to me, and that has got to be my absolute favourite of Sam's: early on in MTI, he goes on about how dangerous the captain is (it turns out to be nice old Kermit of course), and continues to misinterpret Kermit's commands as a call for the strictest disciplin possible. I laughed my head off at Sam's threats, but then again, that might be just me having a sadistic streak ... :smile:

Pianodog.

Elchippo

Reaction score
I love in Muppets from Space when the busty girl is dancing and Sam is eye level with her chest.....his eyes turn to her and his expression is classic! I can't remember if this shot actually made the final cut of the movie, but I know its in the trailer.

D

Dil

Do you know what might be the funniest Sam the Eagle moment would be? I think it would be when an Editorial where Sam would be shocked when guest Spike Milligan's trousers fell off. I think a very brief clip of this sketch is used for the opening theme of the "It's The Muppets" videos.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Elchippo said:
I love in Muppets from Space when the busty girl is dancing and Sam is eye level with her chest.....his eyes turn to her and his expression is classic! I can't remember if this shot actually made the final cut of the movie, but I know its in the trailer.
Yeah, its in there. And I agree, the expression is classic. :attitude: That, and "You are all weirdos!" are the best:big_grin:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Oh yeah! Sam is one of my favorite characters! I think Sam's funniest moments for me have already been said, so I'll have to reiterate a few others- "You are all weirdos!" in "The Great Muppet Caper"- classic!

And I love one of his lines in "Muppet Family Christmas"- "Why am I here?"
:smile:

I quote both of these from time to time!:attitude: