Schoolhouse Rock, Anyone?

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I will say that what they are saying the Earth songs is true, and is at least an ok way to expose these issues to children, the quality of the songs themselves are kinda meh at best. The obnoxiousness of that one and the bad rapping just...ugh. And why did they have to spell everything? Seems like it was just to make the song three minutes :stick_out_tongue:
I wasn't really going to say much in this thread, I'll elaborate why later, but that specific Earth Rock piece seems a LITTLE too much like...
only... sucky. And Electric Company has a REASON to spell things.

Now, I can dig School House Rock. It's catchy, it's fun... but I never had that deep connection with it because I never really saw it when I was a kid. That's when you're most likely to bind with things. I don't know if it's because it was on opposite something else I really liked on Saturday Mornings, or my crappy ABC affiliate had to cut out of national programming 2 hours early so they can run Candlepin bowling or something insanely stupid I forget... but I really didn't get to see it until the 90's, when it randomly came back (to quote The Simpsons) as a campy 70's throwback that appeals to Generation X-ers.

I'm well versed in parodies, though...

Which is ALL TRUE, by the way...

Then there was the loving parody that was the basis for an episode of Johnny Bravo, The Sensitive Male... and Mad TV's series of Public School House Rock ones (when MadTV was good)...and Simpsons quote basically gives that one away...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I wasn't really going to say much in this thread, I'll elaborate why later, but that specific Earth Rock piece seems a LITTLE too much like...
only... sucky. And Electric Company has a REASON to spell things.
I'm not familiar with The Original Electric Company, which I am assuming that is what its from. But that is a much better song.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------
Ed, I was in college WAY before MAD TV...lol. Let's just say there are a surprising number of different ways to use a specific curse word while singing "Interjections."

Best Schoolhouse Rock moment for me was back in, I think, 11th grade first period English class. While we all had to stand for the pledge of allegiance (yes, this was public school, and no, I did NOT recite), one morning someone just started singing "We the People..." and EVERYONE in class joined in! It was perfect! Just one of those silly moments that makes a drudge day better.

-------------------

Drtooth

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the brilliant Ollie North SHR parody from American Dad. One of the many reasons that show is far superior to Family Guy.

CountFan1998

Reaction score
Best Schoolhouse Rock moment for me was back in, I think, 11th grade first period English class. While we all had to stand for the pledge of allegiance (yes, this was public school, and no, I did NOT recite), one morning someone just started singing "We the People..." and EVERYONE in class joined in! It was perfect!
I gotta try that sometime! :big_grin: jk....

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
In high school economics we had a slow day so my teacher put on some Schoolhouse rock. Half the class was like "YAAAAAYYYYY" and the other half just kinda groaned. One kid was confused and thought we were going to watch School OF Rock XD

That was actually my first time watching anything from Money Rock. I was not all that impressed to say the least.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This little PSA also reminds me so much of SHR in so many ways.
Looks like it tries just a little too hard to be Schoolhouse Rock. Just doesn't have that catchy something that makes SHR.

I know there were some PSA's made by the same animators at least that did SHR, but I can't recall exactly which ones they were