1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Scooter Appreciation Thread For The Most Underappraciated, Disrespected Muppet of Ever

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Scooterforever, Nov 28, 2011.

?

Do you hate Scooter?

1. Yes, because I'm a terrible person

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. No, because I'm wonderful

58 vote(s)
    96.7%
  3. Maybe, but I have no backbone so I can't make up my mind

1 vote(s)
    1.7%

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Dude, Scooter is the man. I love that guy and I love his character. It boggles the mind, how people can hate him. :confused: Seriously, the fact that he's about 14-16 makes him the prime candidate for so many jokes about teenagers, I'm really suprised that people haven't grabbed that and ran with it. I myself have some ideas for a short comic where Fozzie or Kermit teach Scooter how to drive. XD Stuff like that.
    DramaQueenMokey likes this.
  2. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

That sounds like a really cool idea!
  3. robodog

robodog Active Member

I can't see how someone can hate any muppet myself. I did have a cousin once who hated Miss Piggy for some reason. I never really could figure out why.
  4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I always felt like Scooter really did respect Kermit, even early on, it's just that he felt he had to pump himself up in order to be taken seriously. Which he probably did considering Kermit was ready to send him out the door on their first meeting, lol.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

First day on the job stuff. I'm wondering if the character was originally written to be a lazy, bratty kid that needed to say "My uncle owns the theater" every time he does something wrong, but they abandoned it very early on. Seems like Scooter has nothing but love for the job and respect for everyone, especially Kermit. He enjoys being there and he enjoys the family like atmosphere that they all bring.

If they added that kinda depth to Scribbler, maybe they coulda taken him further... seems like of all the characters that had the potential to be despicably unlikable, they turned Scooter around. he's an energetic young go getter... he could have very well been a weaselly brat. Thank frog he didn't go down that route or he wouldn't be the lovable guy he is today.
  6. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

What hate? I see Pepe getting hate from some in the Muppet fandom world. But Scooter? Like Rowlf he's beloved beyond belief.

No idea what you guys are talking about. So amazing his voice is now spot on, and he had such a prominent role in the new movie. He's really the closest personality wise to Walter.
  7. heralde

Not here, but I've definitely seem some hate on the Web in random places. Scooter gets picked on for being wimpish, etc. It's really annoying.
  8. heralde

I don't get the impression they meant for Scooter to be unlikeable. It's just that he had a personality hang-up the way all the other characters did which served to drive Kermit crazy. Fozzie's insecurity about his jokes, Gonzo being oblivious that his art was bad and Scooter's willingness to pull rank to break into the business.

The difference is Scooter's problem was eventually solved; Kermit began to trust him with running things backstage. So Scooter became more like Kermit, responsible for dealing with all these crazy people. I've said before, I love how Scooter was sort of on both sides of the asylum in that way, lol.
  9. heralde

A couple years ago I found an old book of Muppet poems called Kermit's Garden of Verses. It has this very amusing poem about Scooter:

10. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

*Chuckle* Cute poem. I'm glad that Scooter didn't make a career out of being such a slacker. Nobody would be posting to this thread.
    DramaQueenMokey and heralde like this.
  11. We Got Us

We Got Us Active Member

Scooter is and has and will be my all-time favorite Muppet since I heard his cute voice singing "Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear" for the first time. Would you believe that song makes me cry now? My mom, who passed away this year, used to call me 'Scooter' since as the oldest child (and an OCD work-a-holic fourteen-year-old) I was always the one running around trying get things done when everyone else wanted to relax. I wish people could see the brilliance of Scooter's character from the first few seasons of TMS, funny, ditzy, puppy-ish and trying hard to be helpful, he was like the original Walter but with a bit more of a mayhem-inclined side. (Why bother begging for a job when your uncle owns the theater? ;-) I know some of us have fond memories of Muppet Babies (including me, even though it was a little before my time to be on television) but I can't help but think that show ruined his reputation. Using nothing but the glasses to go on, they changed his character from a slightly dorky/ over enthusiastic 70's child (AKA, BIG Elton John geek) to a computer wielding and thoroughly paranoid child genius. Now the 'nerd' element seems to be seeping into his character in every other production. Come on, the original Scooter had a skateboard. A SKATEBOARD!! Lol.

P.S. Sorry about the rambling, this is my first post as an official Muppet Central member (long time Muppet Central stalker ;-) and I'm a little over-enthusiastic too.
  12. heralde

Very well put. ;)
  13. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

I know some of us have fond memories of Muppet Babies (including me, even though it was a little before my time to be on television) but I can't help but think that show ruined his reputation. Using nothing but the glasses to go on, they changed his character from a slightly dorky/ over enthusiastic 70's child (AKA, BIG Elton John geek) to a computer wielding and thoroughly paranoid child genius. Now the 'nerd' element seems to be seeping into his character in every other production
    [/quote]

I don't think MB ruined Scooter's reputation at all, it just added another side to his character. It's also a little early to judge, since Scooter hasn't had a major part in Muppet productions since Richard Hunt's death (I am, of course, excluding the recently released "The Muppets," which I plan on seeing a 3rd time.).
  14. We Got Us

We Got Us Active Member

I'm planning on seeing it a third time too! Weird coincidence!

I'm not trashing MB, I just think they needed a nerd character and took Scooter for the part. I don't think this is what Richard Hunt had originally intended, since he was the funny young guy of the group and wanted Scooter modeled after him. I don't mind the Scooter of MB, I just hope they can recapture that funny, dizzy secretary-type Scooter of the first season and not give us some weird hybrid, like in "Letters To Santa". Anyway, he's a great character all around and I'm glad Jason Segel didn't forget about him!

P.S. "You are all naked..."
  15. heralde

I think MB probably did contribute to some of the wimpy jokes, and I say this as a fan of the show, lol.
  16. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Active Member

Yep, I think that describes Scooter perfectly.
    We Got Us and LinkiePie<3 like this.
  17. Snowball

Snowball New Member

Scooter's has to be the main reason why I'm a bigger fan of the Muppets now than I was during my childhood. Making a long story short, a few years ago, I had watched The Muppets Take Manhattan for the first time. I knew practically each of the Muppets names, despite not having seen a Muppet production in years(The last thing I'd seen from them before that point, besides commercials and whatnot, had been A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie when it had originally aired.) That being said, I had absolutely no idea who Scooter was, so his presence in the movie confused me. I wondered if he was an older Muppet that they just didn't show in any Muppet productions I'd watched before this point(Muppet Babies, Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppets Tonight, Muppets from Space, and A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.) Of course, I was surprised to discover he had been in Muppet Babies(with a twin sister, no less,) Muppets from Space, and A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. I figured that Scooter never really made an impact with me before that point, what with being more of a fan of Gonzo, Animal and especially Beaker. Seeing as I wanted to learn more about our favorite gofer, my interest in watching all things regarding the Muppets increased. My love for the Muppets, or more specifically, the Jim Henson Company only grew from there.

Scooter is undeniably my favorite Muppet(although, after seeing the new movie, I have to say, Walter is a very close second.) I never got annoyed with the way he acted when he was first hired, because I knew he'd become someone whom Kermit and the rest of the Muppets could rely on. And not only that, but Richard Hunt, my favorite Muppeteer, based him on a younger version of himself. There's absolutely no way I could ever hate him. I was no doubt pleased by his inclusion in The Muppets and I look forward to the possibility of him perhaps becoming more prominent in future Muppet productions.
    heralde and We Got Us like this.
  18. We Got Us

We Got Us Active Member

I feel the same way about him in the first season, he doesn't really want much except to be one of the gang, and is even willing to work for the chance: and no one can say he doesn't work hard for it.
  19. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I have to agree with you about the voice. I watched "Letters to Santa" when it was on the CW the other night and noticed a weakness in David's Scooter voice, but in the movie, Dave's Scooter was a heck of a lot closer to Richard's. I got to admit those are big shoes to fill.

I can actually relate to that. Sometimes I feel so desperate for a job, it makes me wish I had an uncle who owned a place where I could easily find a long-lasting career.
  20. We Got Us

We Got Us Active Member

Honestly, the more I think about it, it's all Kermit's fault. We can forgive him easily. Scooter fans, that's our story and we're stickin' with it! (kidding) ;)