1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Scooter being introduced in episode 6

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by mupcollector1, Sep 10, 2012.

1. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

How come he was episode one, and in episode 6 he was introduced as a new comer?
  2. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

The episodes were aired in a different order than they were filmed, so the Jim Nabors episode aired before the first episode in most markets.
  3. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Other than what charlietheowl said, there has been some debate over that. Many people actually believe that this episode was made to be a flashback of sorts. Then others believe that it's just the Muppets' non-canon. Then still others believe what charlietheowl said was what they were aiming for.
  4. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I would wonder if it could truly be considered a flashback if they didn't address it as such, and there was no noticeable difference between the theater surroundings in the two episodes.

There is probably no real answer though.
  5. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

I think the episodes arent in order on dvd.
  6. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I was wondering that one too...It didn't make sense to me...
  7. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

Yes, Scooter features prominently in episodes 1 and 2 of the original show but does not appear again until ep. 6. They are in chronological order on the DVD as well, so it does indeed seem awkward that he's introduced twice. I know when the show originally aired the UK and US versions were different, so it's possible that Scooter's part in ep. 1 was not originally aired in the UK, making his origin in ep. 6 his proper introduction (if you lived in the UK).
  8. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

The episodes on the DVD's are in order of production number - the order they put them in while filming. This is not necessarily the exact air order.
  9. Animal'sBunny

Animal'sBunny Active Member

OK, that's what I thought too. I was pretty confused at one point though...
  10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Not quite... I mean, if that were the case, then Scooter's introduction would probably be the first one on the DVD, the episodes are in broadcast order on DVD.

This is a problem with almost every single television series ever known to man: episodes are planned, filmed, canned, etc in a certain order, however, very rarely do the networks ever air them in that order. Most of the time, the episodes ARE aired in order in RERUNS, but for some reason, during the initial airing of the season, they're not always aired in order. A lot of it has to do with scheduling, certain months networks have what's called a "sweep", which I guess they really have to grab people's attention and interest because of more people watching TV or something, so they may air certain episodes that might seem more interesting to people during that time than what should come next in chronological order. And yes, there have been occasions where the pilot episode of the series isn't aired until a few weeks later, so in some of those cases, they are treated as "flashback" episodes when they weren't meant to be... that may or may not have been the case with TMS, those TMS was one of those shows that had separate pilots as opposed to just the first episode being dubbed "Pilot Episode" as is the case with a number of series.
  11. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

No...the DVD episodes are in order by production number, not broadcast order. This is especially evident because the Juliet Prowse and Connie Stevens episodes were aired almost a year after the other earlier episodes, yet they appear first on the DVD.
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  12. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Yeah, Hubert's right. The DVD has the episodes in produciton order, not release order. Jim didn't want to air the first couple of episodes first because he didn't think they were polished enough. Here's the list of the episodes in order of release date:
    http://epguides.com/MuppetShow/
    However, this would mean that one Scooter episode (the Sandy Duncan one) did air prior to his official introduction. Also interesting that the first seven episodes of season 3 aired right after the end of season 2.
  13. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Please note though that those broadcast orders greatly varied depending on the place and station. I know that somewhere there was a more specific list of when each episode originally aired in major cities, I'll have to look that up and see if I can find it.
  14. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I see. I believe the pop-up trivia on the season 1 DVD states that the Rita Moreno episode was the first one (or one of the first ones) to air in most areas.
  15. David French

David French Member

The problem is that the two Pilots featuring Juliet Prowse and Connie Stevens were taped in late January 1976 and then reworked over late Summer/early Fall 1976. Scooter doesn't appear in the original Juliet Prowse Pilot and I suspect he didn't appear in the original Connie Stevens Pilot either.

I think it's safe to assume that the Jim Nabors episode was meant to be Scooter's introductory episode. As for why he appears in the Ruth Buzzi episode - TV series are rarely filmed in transmission order; sometimes it's necessary to film out of order.

The epguides list shows the original UK transmission order.
    muppetfan24/7 and Mo Frackle like this.
  16. David French

David French Member

One other thing to add is that that production order doesn't reflect the taping order. For example, while Cheryl ladd's episode is no. 24 of the third year, her episode was taped prior to the filming of "The Muppet Movie".