Self Doubt and the Begining Puppeteer/Puppet Builder

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
ScrapsFlippy said:
...Well not to get too "Puppet Nerdy" but I think building a puppet is kind of the puppeteer's way of passing from "Padawan" puppeteer to "Jedi" puppeteer
That's about the most "puppet nerdy" thing I've ever heard :stick_out_tongue: :zany:

ScrapsFlippy said:
Puppetry is a lot like acting in that it is such an imperfect art. You can always stand to make improvements. Not to get too mystical, but there's this concept that you really have to do the best you can in order to pass beyond that "best" and get any better. And, you do it on a gradient. It's easy to look at someone like Jim Henson and say "Geez - there's no way I could play at that level." The challenge is to set your goals high and work towards them.
I completely agree. If someone's not critical of their own work they're probably not very good.

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Thanks a lot you guys for all of your replies and messages. I did some thinking today and eventually my mind made a descion. I want to change me major to acting and do what i can to get a BA in acting at my school. I want to take classes in art as well and do puppet building at home. Thank you all so much for your help. Thank you kindly.

AND . . . on a more nerdier note, I noticed a parallel between Return of the Jedi and a few well experienced puppeteers I've met. In Return of, Luke is able to reach a level of training where his physical abilities are so good that he can now build his own light saber, the final step of his training. Maybe, after so much work at acting through a puppet and making it at least come alive and trick yourself for a momment as well as an entire audience for an entire show, the next step is making the puppet that you will perform with. You finally are able to build a puppet for yourself, because you have the experience of a performer to know how to build a puppet that is just right for you because you know what works and what won't work in the design, what materials are too heavy, what fabrics are too stiff. But, I guess that also comes with building a lot as well, but, if you've never performed with a puppet before, how can you know how a puppet will move well if you have no performing experience? Even if it's just slipping one on and making it wiggle and talk.

Big thoughts.

Thank you all again.
Marc
:smile:

jediX

Reaction score
ScrapsFlippy said:
(P.S. JediX - your name and icon remind me of something I thought about. You remember in Return of the Jedi, how Darth Vader takes Lukes Lightsaber and says "I see your training is complete?" Well not to get too "Puppet Nerdy" but I think building a puppet is kind of the puppeteer's way of passing from "Padawan" puppeteer to "Jedi" puppeteer. Wouldn't you agree?)
I'd have to say if Kermit was endowed w/ the Force, he would be at master level already:wink:

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Hey, I had my presentation today and it went great! I did enough run throughs before hand and adlibbed here and there, even throwing in some things that the students were saying as they walked in (making cracks about Starbucks, for example). AND, I got to thinking more and more that I'd like to major in theatre and get a BA in acting at my school. I want to make a go at this, and I'm excited and a little scared to see if it will work.
Thank you all so much for your support, thank you.
Marc

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Great :rolleyes: now we've gone and made a puppeteer of him instead of something respectable and profitable like an accountant or an engineer. :wink: :stick_out_tongue:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Great :rolleyes: now we've gone and made a puppeteer of him instead of something respectable and profitable like an accountant or an engineer. :wink: :stick_out_tongue:
We've created a monster... dang it!

Phantom

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
We've created a monster... dang it!
Or is it, he's creating a monster? :big_grin:

Buck-Beaver said:

Who said engineers were respectable?:confused: or for that matter profitable?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I don't like engineers; when they go past the apartment where I live they always honk their horns really loud. Stoopit trains. :frown: I get no sleep.