Sesame Old School DVD has edits

JLG

Reaction score
Or rather, alterations, according to the review on this site. That makes me sad. No one seems to care about messing with history.

The film about "You can wash anything" with the girl narrating has been removed from show #1, along with the Anything Muppets singing "Consider Yourself". Apparantly they've been replaced with other segments.

Also, the Stevie Wonder closing on another ep has been replaced.

The reviewer mentions that this was probably due to copyright issues. With the washing film, that can only mean that whoever now owns the rights to the Swingle Singers library wouldn't allow for this, since that's them singing in the background. I don't know who owns the music for "Oliver" these days, but whoever they are they can go jump in the lake. And apparently Stevie Wonder had issues with allowing this, which I find surprising. (why didn't any of these people mind when Noggin was airing these before? Is the difference because people don't directly pay for TV shows, but do pay for DVDs? That's the only reason I can think of.)

This is just me speculating based on what the reviewer said was the reason for the edits. If anyone has better info than me, then set the record straight.

I'm especially sad about the washing film because it's one of my favorites, and my copy of it is very poor. Plus, it's the very first film ever featured on the show. Like, it's HISTORY, man!:flirt:

JLG

Reaction score
(Wait a minute. I hope the real reason they cut it wasn't because there happens to be a naked kid on screen for four seconds. If that's the reason, that's just ridiculous.)

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
I want to see Consider Yourself, 123 Sesame Street by Stevie Wonder, and Big Bird and Chrystal playing store on Youtube.

PiLfan

Reaction score
TotallySpiesFan said:
I want to see Consider Yourself, 123 Sesame Street by Stevie Wonder, and Big Bird and Chrystal playing store on Youtube.
the first two already are on the youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sv-s91CxG4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHLIhi8bgiM

not to mention the entire first episode can be seen in its entirety at http://mbc.dcms.ihost.com/mbc/ams (use the search engine)....they also have the complete 1989 episode where Luis and Maria are at the hospital giving birth to gabby (or whatever her name is).

i'm not aware of the big bird/chrystal sketch...don't think i've ever seen it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Music rights for television are different from music rights for video and DVD releases (are they also different for audio releases?). Normally whenever a TV show or special that used copyrighted music gets released on home video or DVD, the producers have to pay for the rights again, and I think getting the rights for a song on a video release is more expensive than on a TV broadcast.

BillKal

Reaction score
PiLfan said:
not to mention the entire first episode can be seen in its entirety at http://mbc.dcms.ihost.com/mbc/ams (use the search engine)....they also have the complete 1989 episode where Luis and Maria are at the hospital giving birth to gabby (or whatever her name is).

i'm not aware of the big bird/chrystal sketch...don't think i've ever seen it.

The link above requires a Username & Password.

NantoSeiken

Reaction score
One other thing that's missing from the episodes on this set is the funding credits. No funky chimes music, and no PBS or NET logos.

These are minor quibbles though, this box set is a dream come true for Sesame Street fans. In my opinion, the generous selection of bonus clips more than makes up for the tiny number of edits.

BillKal

Reaction score
Are you talking about the music section at the end of the episode(s) where they roll the different funding stuff? At least 1 episode on the new set contains that.

The set does include that Moog jingle with the PBS logo popping up in Orange/Green/ and Blue. --- just like at the end of the Electric Company episodes from their box set.

NantoSeiken

Reaction score
My mistake. The funding credits are missing from the full credit crawls in the bonus sections, but they are on the actual episodes themselves, along with the PBS logos.

No NET logo on episode 1, but it still has the "In Color" bit from the beginning. And it's great to see those little animated bits with the episode numbers intact.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
No, Minor Muppetz hit it right on the head:

The MUSIC RIGHTS is why they had to edit out those clips.

Instead of having to pay millions of dollars again to Stevie Wonder, the musical film "Olver" (which is what the Anything Muppets sang in the premiere song), and the instrumental Bach piece (played during the "washing" segment from Ep. 1), they fill the time with other pieces from the time period.

It's not because that girl was naked in the shower! :smile: