Sesame Street films

ssetta

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
Does anyone remember a film which showed how green beans are grown and get to market?

The film had a musical soundtrack with a woman describing each scene in song. The woman sounded a little like Linda Rondstadt (but I doubt it was her). First it showed beans being planted, then growing, then being harvested. The beans were then taken to a facility where they were put on a conveyor belt and inspected by quality control people.

I only remember a few of the lines to this song. At this point it went:

"... to a string bean plant
Where they really fix them up
So that we can eat the beans!"

The final scene showed a mother and a kid picking up some beans in the produce section of a grocery.

"Going to the store
Pick up some of them beans
You may have wondered how they got there
But now we've really had a scene
And that's the story of the beans."
I remember that film dearly, and I had completely forgotten about it until you posted it. It brings back memories of good ol' Unpaved.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
here's 2 more.

1 on the beach, kids off camera say on the beach. 1 of the scenes shows a middle aged man fishing standing knee deep in the water. another Susan annouces 2 birds and different kind of birds, 2 of each. Like the music in this one.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this film from the mid 80s?

It's about a quarter's journey. It shows a quarter lying on the street and someone narrating making it look like the quarter is telling the story. First it shows a painting truck driving by covering the street orange and the quarter as well. A kid picks up the orange quarter and uses it to buy ice cream and then we hear the quarter telling us about its journey through some drum beat music. From the ice cream truck, to places like a parking meter, a store, a bank, a person's pocket. (The quarter was painted orange so you'd know which quarter was the main one.) And it ended with a little girl getting the orange quarter from her parent. Then she puts it in her piggy bank. The quarter goes, "Then I'm made into allowance where she decides to store me away for a while!" And that was the end.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Hey, Ziffel, could this be the one?

Ziffel said:
Yes that's exactly right that he sang just the one line (and in a high pitched voice) and then walked away. However, I'd bet you a cookie and a milkshake at Mr. Hooper's store that it was "A,Ape" and not "G,Gorilla". I can clearly picture the sound of that little cartoon man saying, "A" at the end. :wink:
The other day I was watching some older episodes with my kids when the showed an old cartoon story about an ape. It started out by saying "A - Ape"
then proceded to tell a story about an ape, wearing an apron, who swallowed alot of air, (making it look bloated). Then a small bird, with a long sharp beak, flew down and pecked the apes bellie, "giving aid to the ape" by letting all the air out. then it wraps it up by repeating "A - Ape".
I also saw another one that might be the one I recalled as "G-Gorilla". It showed a little man who says "G-Gorilla" then, in a quotation baloon above him, it shows a brown gorilla that starts beating its chest and screaming its lungs out, (like its freaking out or something), for a few seconds, then it stops, and the little man (who has been looking at the gorilla throwing the tantrum) looks back at us, the viewers, and simply says "G".:stick_out_tongue:

Rosewood

Reaction score
You'de be amazed........

denimalex said:
How about the one that makes me cringe at the thought of little kids and sweets:

There's a kid probably about 18 months old sitting in a high chair with a seemingly harmless cookie. The VO is Cookie Monster saying "oh what you got there... oh coo-kieee!.... oh it is chocolate cookie..."
The toddler eats the cookie, smearing chocolate all over the mouth. Cookie Monster is going along reporting the actions like a golf game "oh it looks delicious... but you getting your face messy... me don't mind if me get my fur dirty... oh, you still enjoying cookie..."
At the end of the film, the kid's face is entirely covered in chocolate, and looks disturbing. Cookie Monster is cheering "ha ha ha!"
This was likely done in the 70's with a lot of the other SS films and as a kid myself couldn't understand how the kid in the film got so dirty from just one cookie.

But then again I don't have children
You would be amazed at the ability little kids have of achieving such a feat! I never would have believed it myself untill I finally got kids of my own, but if you give a kid under 2 a chocolate chip cookie, it's like the chips have a mind of their own and "jump" onto the kids face, (where they then proceed to melt), just to avoid being eaten! (LOL!)

Rosewood

Reaction score
I love this one!

mikebennidict said:
remember the starfish film with the girl singing starfish sinny swimming free etc? she sounded so sweet. wonder who it was?
It's an all time classic! It has a little girl singing the words, but like you, I have no idea who she was. But the words go:

"Starfish, shiney, in the sea.
Do you imagine what you seem to be?
Starfish, lovely, swimming free!
Can you even imagine - me!":smile:

Rosewood

Reaction score
this came from episode #1

Ziffel said:
I'm sure there were other farm animal ones. One I am extremely vague on started out with a man saying, "Milk. Did you know milk comes from a cow?"
Then I think it showed a cow being milked. Not sure, though, if the film focused on cows or on the production of milk (from the cow to the grocery store in containers).
This film is shown on episode #1. Susan has just given the girl that Gordon has been introducing to SS a glass of milk and some cookies. Somehow the subject of where milk comes from is brought up, at which they proceed to show this film. It's actually quite lengthy, but it does show every step milk goes through before it gets to your fridge for you to drink. It has a narrator telling the story, while, as was mentioned before, a man softly hums and sings in the background, singing between the narrators statements such things as "chewing the grass so green", "waiting for milking time", and, of course, "Hey, cow; I see you now!" I believe it is all done to soft guitar music and I have a funny feeling the singer/hummer is Joe Rapozo.:smile:

Rosewood

Reaction score
This is a classic, as well.

Ziffel said:
Then there was one with a catchy song about the proverbial question,"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Much of the film showed the production process of eggs in cartons, from what I recall. QUOTE]

I remember this classic well. I had almost given up hope of ever seeing it again when I stumbled across the SS release of "Sing, Hoot, and Howl". It's great, and includes (among others), the classics of "I'm a dog, I'm a workin dog; I'm a hard workin' dog!", "Starfish", "Which come first; the chicken or the egg?", "Who are the insects in your neigborhood?" (sung by Ernie), "I'm an Aardvark!", "Baa Baa Bamba!" (sung by Luis), and "Kids". You can usually find it in either VHS or DVD form, and it's a must for the avid collector!

SesameMike

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
"A - Ape".... proceded to tell a story about an ape, wearing an apron, who swallowed alot of air, (making it look bloated).
After he swallowed the air, "...and got an ache."
Rosewood said:
Then a small bird, with a long sharp beak, flew down and pecked the ape's belly, "giving aid to the ape" by letting all the air out.
"...and lived to a ripe old, age." The background showed the two animals walking by (behind a large A?) as the narrator concluded
"Now that's what I call, 'A' story."

Of course, being one to take everything literally, I was a bit confused by this one, thinking that poking a hole in someone's abdomen, bloated or not, would cause way, way more harm than good.