Sesame Street films

SesameMike

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
"Hey, cow; I see you now!"
This particular film was shown for a season or two after the first episode, but some later runs were shortened. Here's how to determine if you have an edited copy: Towards the end of the clip, you see a shot of a cow pasture with a transparent overlay of a string of milk cartons coming at you as if on an assembly line. In the original version, that fades into an actual scene of cartons on a conveyor belt like we'd seen earlier (in both versions). In the edited version, you see those ghost cartons for a second or two before they cut to another scene of cows or whatever.

Censored

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
After he swallowed the air, "...and got an ache."

"...and lived to a ripe old, age." The background showed the two animals walking by (behind a large A?) as the narrator concluded
"Now that's what I call, 'A' story."

Of course, being one to take everything literally, I was a bit confused by this one, thinking that poking a hole in someone's abdomen, bloated or not, would cause way, way more harm than good.

Yeah, that cartoon kind of surprised me for its time. It seemed to border on scatological humor. LOL

Rosewood

Reaction score
Thanks for the corrections

SesameMike said:
After he swallowed the air, "...and got an ache."

"...and lived to a ripe old, age." The background showed the two animals walking by (behind a large A?) as the narrator concluded
"Now that's what I call, 'A' story."

Of course, being one to take everything literally, I was a bit confused by this one, thinking that poking a hole in someone's abdomen, bloated or not, would cause way, way more harm than good.
I knew there were parts of this that I had missed and was hoping there was someone out there who could correct it. Thanks, SesameMike!:smile:

Rosewood

Reaction score
Want the words?

Ziffel said:
Then there was one with a catchy song about the proverbial question,"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Much of the film showed the production process of eggs in cartons, from what I recall. QUOTE]

Here are the exact words, for anyone who would like to take a trip down memory lane:

"Which come first? The chicken, or the egg?
Which come first? The chicken, or the egg?
How can something so fat and burly
come from something so smooth and pearly?
Oh, which come first? The chicken, or the egg?"

"Which come First? The feather, or the shell?
Which come first? The feather, or the shell?
If you see one egg or 'tother,
did you ever think about its mother?
Oh, which come first? The feather, or the shell?"

"Now eggs are all so purty, lyen on a plate
or sitten' here in a carton, neat and strait.
And lookin inside a box of eggs might make you feel so great.
But did you ever wonder where they was, before they was inside that crate?"

"Oh, which come first? The chicken, or the egg?
If you wanted to begin again
would you start with an omlett or a hen?
Oh, which come first? The chicken, or the egg?

"The chicken, or the egg?!!!!!!!!!!"

Now, if that doesn't bring back memories.............:stick_out_tongue:

Rosewood

Reaction score
Your thinking about the ball on the track for #3

Ziffel said:
The one about the ball, I'm not sure if this is the same one you have in mind, I really thought had very catchy circus like music. This is where we keep hearing the kid say ,"1,2,3" and the ball ends up as powder in the child's hand. A few years ago I saw this segment on SS but the ending has a girl eating an ice cream sundae. Not sure how long ago they remade the ending. But the same great music was throughout.
This used to be another one of my favorites. I used to love watching the ball roll along this elaborate track with all sorts of twists and turns and things it would go through in sets of 3. I don't know when they re-did the ending either, because the one I remember seing was the first one, where the childs hand turns a handle on the box that the ball comes to rest in, and, as he counts "1, 2, 3,!", (one for each turn of the handle), his hand gets filled with a bunch of sand-like red powder (kind of giving you the impression that it's supposed to be the ball, all ground up!) And the music played does indeed sound like that which would come from an old pipe organ.:stick_out_tongue:

Rosewood

Reaction score
I used to get scared the guy wasn't going to make it!

Ziffel said:
Today I thought of one that I haven't thought of for a long time. The one with the guy paddling through the river in that kayak. And he repeatedly did loops under the water. This one seemed to be replayed quite often on SS. I always enjoyed the music (although rather repetitive) in this one too. It was also something brand new to me back then and thus surprised and amazed me that a guy kept flipping the boat. Really cool how SS really showed kids a lot of things in the world and not just taught about basic math, reading, and spelling.
I remember, on a few of the flips, it took him quite a bit of effort to rite himself again. As a kid, I remember being afraid he wasn't going to come up again. But, somehow, he always made it!

Rosewood

Reaction score
Who remembers the "Kids" song (by Joe Rapoze)?

I remember this song by heart. It goes:

"Cats.... have kittens.
Dogies... have pups.
Horses....have pretty foals.
Sheep....have lambs.
Cows have calfs; and I bet you didn't know...
that elephants have calfs, too!
Lions and leopards have cubs; which is the "proper" thing for them to do!

Peacocks....have chicks.
Deer....have fawns.
Ducks....have ducklings; often padding 'round the lawns!
Pigs have piglets; and, in case you didn't know, here's another fact for you:
Goats have kids; like people have kids; like me....and....you!

I think that last statement goes to show how young Joe was, at heart.:smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Here are the exact words, for anyone who would like to take a trip down memory lane:

"Which come first? The chicken, or the egg?
How can something so fat and burly
come from something so smooth and pearly?
Oh, which come first? The chicken, or the egg?"

"Which come First? The feather, or the shell?
Which come first? The feather, or the shell?
If you see one egg or 'tother,
did you ever think about its mother?
Oh, which come first? The feather, or the shell?"

"Now eggs are all so purty, lyen on a plate
or sitten' here in a carton, neat and strait.
And lookin inside a box of eggs might make you feel so great.
But did you ever wonder where they was, before they was inside that crate?"

"Oh, which come first? The chicken, or the egg?
If you wanted to begin again
would you start with an omlett or a hen?
Oh, which come first? The chicken, or the egg?

"The chicken, or the egg?!!!!!!!!!!"

Now, if that doesn't bring back memories.............:stick_out_tongue:
Thanks a lot for those words, Rosewood, that's awesome! Some of these words I couldn't make out when hearing it as a child so it's really neat seeing what all the lyrics were. I remember the tune and video so well so these words nicely "fit". It's always fun when can find out words like that (Like with "The Flintstones" learning what that difficult to make out line was - 'Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet!' ).

Ziffel

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I remember this song by heart. It goes:

"Cats.... have kittens.
Dogies... have pups.
Horses....have pretty foals.
Sheep....have lambs.
Cows have calfs; and I bet you didn't know...
that elephants have calfs, too!
Lions and leopards have cubs; which is the "proper" thing for them to do!

Peacocks....have chicks.
Deer....have fawns.
Ducks....have ducklings; often padding 'round the lawns!
Pigs have piglets; and, in case you didn't know, here's another fact for you:
Goats have kids; like people have kids; like me....and....you!

I think that last statement goes to show how young Joe was, at heart.:smile:
Yes I well remember this one too (though not as well as you did; I couldn't specify offhand all of the different animals mentioned in the piece!). This was also one segment I remember catching again around 1990. The one line that always stood out was, "I'll betcha didn't know, that elephants have calves too." I thought that was a neat fact to learn when I was little. The music was catchy too, like so many SS segments were.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Funny you should mention this........

Ziffel said:
Some of these words I couldn't make out when hearing it as a child so it's really neat seeing what all the lyrics were. I remember the tune and video so well so these words nicely "fit". It's always fun when can find out words like that (Like with "The Flintstones" learning what that difficult to make out line was - 'Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet!' ).
You know, it's funny you should mention the fact that we tend to hear things different when were kids. When I first heard this song, and all the times I heard it as a kid, I always thought they were saying "Which come BIRD!"
It wasn't until I was an adult, and had heard the old phrase quoted, that I caught on to what they were actually saying!:stick_out_tongue: