Sesame Street films

Ziffel

Reaction score
No that's the ending of the classic "b is for bubble" skit, Mike. :smile:
This one was a different sketch and I don't think had any singing. This little girl at the end put piece after piece of gum in her mouth. Then the line about if she puts any more gum in her moth she could blow up!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
oh I see now. yes I remember that 1. yes they said exactly how you remember it.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
girl chewing gum

Hey Ziffel. The film you're mentioning was about how gum is made. They show chicle ( a gum base), syrup, and sugar getting mixed together, pressed in a big mold, rolled out into sheets, cut into strips, then wrapped up.

There was some musical accompaniment that sounds like a harpsichord, with kids narrating as the action is going on.

The end does show the girl unwrapping a whole pack of gum (Juicyfruit, maybe?) and stuffing it in her mouth, prompting the kid to comment
"If she puts any more gum in her mouth, she'll blow up!"

Granted, kids, she won't. She might get a big enough wad and her jaws might hurt, but she will not blow up.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Thanks fuzzygobo. I was real fuzzy on the details of this one besides the ending. That really is a hilarious line that kid said (Although SS maybe wouldn't want to air the clip in today's times due to the Oklahoma City bombing, 911, etc. I don't think there should be any problem, but some people are sensitive about wordings and things like that).

Ziffel

Reaction score
Oh I agree with you. Just was speculating if SS were still airing old clips today if they would not show that one for that reason. But if I was making the decision I would have no problem airing it at all.
By the way, up until SS stopped showing any older clips just a few years ago that other bubblegum sketch, "B is for bubble" sure got aired a lot didn't it. Seems like whenever I would happen to tune in to SS after my childhood years I would see this a lot. It is indeed a very fun skit with the catchy and funny song and all of those big bubbles being blown and popped!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
B is for Bubble

One of the great things about Sesame Street, especially in the old days, was how they could make something out of practically nothing.

Take some clips of kids blowing bubbles, have some kids singing a round to the tune of Three Blind Mice, and you got an instant classic! And this one has been in heavy rotation up until the mid 90's or so.

If you watch closely, towards the end, when they jump-cut very quickly to shots of the kids' bubbles popping, there's one shot of somebody's eye.
It's only for a few frames, but it's in there.

Ain't it groovy?:big_grin:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Just wanted to say I've really been enjoying those lyrics to the "chicken and the egg" song, Rosewood. I printed them out a few days ago and now I have them memorized. Today I was singing them at times while mopping, etc.
I sang it while walking down the hallway with a fellow custodian and he said, "Where did you hear that song from? It's pretty goofy!". Hee hee hee!

Rosewood said:
I've been singing it, off and on, for a while as well. My kids love it, but I will admit the first time I sang it in front of my husband, I think he thought I was crazy! But all I had to do was remind him that this is what happens when you wed a SS fanatic. Once he remembered that, he just shook his head and walked over to his desk-smiling!:stick_out_tongue:

And also the other day at work I told this guy who is about 21 about this song and sang a little of it for him. He later told me, "Now you got that song going through my head!" I asked, "But you never saw the skit or heard the song before have you?" He said no. Thought it was pretty cool that I got a song stuck in someone's head who never heard the song before! Guess I did a pretty good impression of the singer of that song. "How can somethin' so fat and burly come from somethin' so smooth and pearly, oh which come first, the chicken or the egg." :big_grin:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
2 ice skating films.

1 is where Maria's counting 20 skaters, the other was a speed skating contest and the music in that 1 was very neat.

SesameMike

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
The film you're mentioning was about how gum is made. They show chicle ( a gum base), syrup, and sugar getting mixed together, pressed in a big mold, rolled out into sheets, cut into strips, then wrapped up.
That's right. The film began with a factory worker entering a storage room containing several huge slabs/blocks of something which I suspect was the chicle. One of the narrators (2 or 3 offscreen kids' voices) said that he is going to make some gum.

I don't remember most of the manufacturing details, but I do distinctly remember this one scene in which a huge wad of gum-to-be is in this slow rotating mixer. The man throws in a bucket of a thick dark liquid and all the kids say at once "Coloring!". (artificial color?). We get a close up the process as a kid says "It's mixing it up."

The scene immediately after that shows the gum inside some elaborate kneading machine, constantly ripping and mixing the stuff together. The narrators comments are along the lines of:
Kid 1: "Wannnnnna chew it?"
Kid 2: "If you ate all that, flavoring and stuff, you're gonna get sick!"

After the gum is flattened into sheets, one scene shows a sheet a caliper-like measuring device used for quality control. "Checking it out." Still another scene shows a man ripping the sheets into sections by hand. The stick-sized pieces were cut by machine, of course, and as for wrapping, I thought it was actually an older Beech-Nut logo, not the Fruit-Stripe one.

fuzzygobo said:
"If she puts any more gum in her mouth, she'll blow up!"
Here a boy and girl were sitting on a lawn or in a playground stuffing themselves with some of the gum from that same package