Sesame Street History

SSUfan

Reaction score
Splurge said:
Sinister Sam.
wow you actually got it ......

see this is why I an dying to get thes episodes I want my son to get the same enjoyment we had while looking at these classics........ok here another one what song did Dolly Parton sing when she was introduced on a stage with a guy standing in the corner?...see if you can get this one?

Frodis

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Also, the statement "David dies" is technically incorrect. The actor who played him, Northern Calloway, died, but the character moved to live on his grandmother's farm.
I remember seeing a few episodes in the early 80's where the SS cast went to David's grandmother's house for a visit. Anyone else remember these shows?

Frodis

BTW, the actress that played David's grandmother also played Cliff's mother on "The Cosby Show".

TonioMiguel

Reaction score
The name of the cowboy who wanted to know Y?

I believe his name was Sinester Sam. I am not sure Y he had a name similar to a warner brothers character but I am almost sure that was his name. :eek:

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
TonioMiguel said:
I believe his name was Sinester Sam. I am not sure Y he had a name similar to a warner brothers character but I am almost sure that was his name. :eek:
Was this during the 1983-1984 season?? Because I vaguely remember watching an episode when they were on a Farm and I remeber Oscar was there and It seems like I remember him doing something with a bunch of kids, I think they were David's relatives cause they were all Black, but I remember like an egg of something falling on Oscar's head or him getting hit in the head with an Egg, and he had yolk on his face. I remember after they announced the letter and number, they showed a freeze frame of Oscar with the broken egg on his head. I was very little when I saw this epsisode, so I barely rememeber even watching it!! Mabye someone can tell me more about it. :grouchy: :grouchy: :grouchy:

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Also, the history of SESAME STREET is that there wasn't any Cookie Monster, Kermit, or any other Muppets on the show in July 1969 except Ernie and Bert, according to the A & E Biography.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
Also, the history of SESAME STREET is that there wasn't any Cookie Monster, Kermit, or any other Muppets on the show in July 1969 except Ernie and Bert, according to the A & E Biography.
I think if the show would have stayed that way, it would not have lasted 35 years!! Or imagine if the show was STILL like that today? What a dull show it would be.

Mark The Shark

Reaction score
mikealan said:
Hello. I remember everything about Sesame Street now. Here is the history of it:

July 1969 (before Sesame Street):
First human regulars-Gordon, Susan, Bob, Mr. Hooper and the kids
First Muppets-only Kermit, Bert and Ernie, and the Cookie Monster (which he is named 'Monster')
Five first shows tested
Does anyone have copies of these? Did you see them? What do you remember about them? They did air on PBS before the show itself premiered, right? Didn't it have some different actors?

As far as I know, the clip we've all seen with Kermit and Rowlf is not from these five "test shows," but actually from a network prime time preview special.

mikealan said:
1970's:
Grover's brownish-green fur changes into blue fur
"Blue Grover" first appeared on show #131 (second season premiere, aired November 9, 1970). That is also when Oscar turned green and Ernie and Bert's appearances changed (most noticeably Ernie, with the colors of his shirt also changing). Herbert Birdsfoot also debuted on that show and from what I have read, he *replaced* Kermit in his instructional skits for that season (though Kermit segments from the previous year continued to be repeated as well), but Kermit returned in new segments the following season and I am also under the impression that no *new* Herbert Birdsfoot segments were produced after that, though they did continue to be repeated for many years. Can anyone definitely verify any of this?

mikealan said:
Cookie Monster got his name from the 1971 premiere
On the cover of the "Sesame Street Book And Record," first released by Columbia Records in 1970, Cookie Monster is called Cookie Monster. On the back cover, the performers are credited with their characters. It states "Frank Oz as Bert and Cookie Monster." There definitely is a Season 1 skit with Cookie Monster involving cookies, and it is in one of the early "Unpaved" episodes. So the name probably followed some time shortly afterward, but as I said, definitely by the end of the first season, because on the back cover of the album (released during the first season), he is clearly identified as Cookie Monster (though inside, there is a drawing of Cookie Monster and Beautiful Day which is just captioned "Two Monsters").

BWSmith

Reaction score
Y'all forgot about Buffy, Sheldon, and baby Cody, the singing urban Indians, who packed up and moved to a teepee in Hawaii in 1978.

Her character was apparently designed to appeal to Native American families living in major metropolitan areas who were threatening to move off and live in teepees in Hawaii...
:confused: