Sesame Street Magazine memories

mikebennidict

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I was reading in a thread about Herbert Birdsfoot that Sesame Street Magazine first began in 1970. Is this true? I would have thought it began in the 1980s. It is weird that the magazine began so soon after the show started.

Anyway, does anybody have any memories of this magazine? Any memories of the really early magazines?
Not that I mean to sound harsh but what's so strange about the magazine debuting not long after the shows debut? the 1st SS album was also from 1970.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Not that I mean to sound harsh but what's so strange about the magazine debuting not long after the shows debut? the 1st SS album was also from 1970.
That is a good point. I don't know why I thought it would be strange for the magazine to begin so soon, yet I never thought it was weird that the first album was made during the first year.

Andrew T

Reaction score
What I do find strange is that 3-2-1 Contact magazine apparently debuted in advance of the television show. Here's a picture of the first issue from November 1979, from a completed eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/First-edition-o...itemZ6980415096QQcategoryZ82143QQcmdZViewItem

Neither would I call the magazine a flop. It was published until 2001 (although for the last year or two it was renamed Contact Kids), over a decade after the last new episode of 3-2-1 Contact was produced for TV.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
That's cool. Never saw The Electric Company when I was growing up, but I've seen some of it in recent years. (I've got an episode taped from Noggin that includes a Spider-Man sketch - one of the main reasons I wanted to see the show, being a superhero fan)
I used to watch 321 Contact all the time!!! That show was awesome! I still remember the theme song! It rocks!:smile:
And of course, I was all over Sesame Street! And I do remember reading the Sesame Street magazine some when I was a kid.
By the way, today I picked up those 3 Sesame Street magazines I saw at the antique store some months ago. And for the record, I've now got the April 1971 issue, October 1971, and January 1972. The April 1971 issue is identified as Volume 1, issue 4. So I guess that means the magazine started in January 1971- about a year and a half after Sesame Street started. :stick_out_tongue:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Well, just flipping through these books, it was so cool to see some great black and white photographs. One was of Matt Robinson- the first Gordon- and the kids at the corner arbor area. And there's another great picture of Big Bird and Mr. Hooper in a "behind the scenes" picture taken in front of Hooper's Store. Very beautiful.:cry: If I get hold of a scanner sometime, I'll have to try to upload the pictures.:smile: