Sesame Street pays tribute to Fred Rogers May 16

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Carroll did sound a little off (His voice sounded higher), but not enough to bether me. Big Bird still sounded basically the same. Not as much as in his heyday, but bazsically the same.

Did other areas show the clips of Mister Rogers on television? I didn't see them.

Very nice tribute, though ... I smiled through the whole thing.

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
I think Matt Vogel was playing Big Bird for the tribute. It didn't sound like Caroll to my ears at all.

Ryan

Reaction score
It was beautiful. I was in tears! Grover looks fantastic! He looks just like he did back in the early 70's! Big Bird was played by Matt. If you can't tell by the voice, you can usually tell by the Bird. Matt's Bird costume has many more feathers on his head, and his eyes are closer together. Anyway, it was a very touching tribute. Very great. Fran was great too. One of the few times I enjoyed Zoe. They also did a short "In Memorium" afterwards for some soap stars and Lynne Thigpen (big applause on this one) and Michael Jeter.:cry:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
so it was Matt....

it was a beautiful bit....I thought elmo would steal the show, but he didn't.....

Sarah

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I do not think it was Matt's Big Bird at all. I can tell the difference between the two pretty well, and it was a live show after all. Caroll may have simply been nervous.

But, it didn't sound like Matt's Big Bird to me. It was Caroll's Big Bird on The Wayne Brady Show, and, when he sang he sounded just like that.

I'm pretty sure it was Caroll Spinney.

Eric's deffenitely getting better at Grover, though!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Caroll Spinney was in my part of the woods all day yesterday. There's a thead about it. He was in San Francisco from about noon to two and Berkley at seven. I think Matt did an excellent job. Only die-hard fans like us probably noticed.

I mentioned in another thread about when they showed the Sesame Street moment of Mr. Hooper's death. Wayne Brady said,"God bless Mr. Hooper" and the brain-dead soap opera crowd laughed. He didn't mean it as a joke and was kind of miffed at them. Ah, the daytime crowd. If they could all have the dignity of their regular Emmy counterparts. :grouchy:

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Boy, Matt must be getting better at Big Bird then :smile:. His voice sounded a lot more like Spinney's. On JTE, it sounds deeper (Not much, but enough to notice a difference).

ChellisPal

Reaction score
this I would have to say was the BEST Muppet appearance I have seen in a very long time. Matt and Eric did an outstanding job, There is no group better than the Sesame Street Muppets to do such a fitting tribute to Mr Rogers. I expected just a few words from Elmo and Big Bird, but this was 100 times better. My only wish was that they could have gone back and forth from the characters to what was being shown on the screen behind them, but like I said, THE BEST MUPPET MOMENT in a long time(hmmm, new topic idea), and should defiantly go down in TV history. I'm glad i have this on tape.